VERY! Confusticated, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok the last I saw this spider it was orange and about 3 1/2 inches its now close to 6 and not so orange anymore, it was sold as a OBT. I am not so sure anymore, because it doesn't have the trademark starburst pattern on the opisthosoma. Could it possibly be a grey morph of a P. Murinus? Any opnions regarding its species or sex would greatly be appreciated, as I do not have experience sexing mature females.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you have pics of before it molted? It would be really cool to see. Also one idea might be that maybe it is a hybrid between a regular color form P. murinus and the Usambara type murinus. Maybe that is why it changed color between the molts?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Soory no pics from before the last molt. But I can assure you it was a bright rusty orange like my other 3 Usambaras

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like a mature male. From what species though I'm not sure.

Jim B.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me that looks very much Like a mature male Chilobrachys huahini here is a pic of one.

This male was supplyed by Guy Tansley for mateing. The photos where taken with him inside the females enclousure

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does C. huahini males have tibial hooks beacause this T doesn't have any

Last edited:

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
Yes they do have tibial hooks.

If it is a mature male and has no hooks then it isn't a P murinus of any colour form

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure if its mature yet, I've had it since x-mas this year. when I got it it had about a 2" le span

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've come to the concluesion that it is a mature male due to the bulbs I discovered on the ends of it's palps this morning. I am still very stumped as to which species it could be, So I would greatly appeciate any suggestions anyone might have!

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heres another pic if this, helps. Sorry I cannot get a good pic of his palps, but i'll keep trying.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Was it for sure from an African shipment as many African genera that lack tibial spur's i.e. Anoploscelus,Hysterocrates,Phoneyusa and im sure many others, also are you sure there not there they can be very small in some species.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No Chilobrachys species or any other Selenocosmid has hooks. All harpactirids has hooks, including Pterinochilus.

Look "chilobrachy'ish" but wouldn't be able to say that for certain from a photo alone. Can you post a picture of any of the siblings?

Søren

8 leg wonder said:

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No I can't I didn't have the camera when he was younger! It looked like a P. murinus sling, orange with black toes, but lacking the starburst pattern on its abdomen.

UberUsumbara

Arachnopeon
That doesn't really look like any Pterinochilus sp. to me! It looks more like an asian species

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It did when it was younger. I'm starting to think it's an asian species as well