Finally! scored good deal @ petstore

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Went in for crix, and they had an aquarium w/ red light, water dish etc with a T in it labeled as a "rose hair" tarantula. Well, it was no rose hair. She is a mature, very large, possibly gravid Brachypelma albopilosum! They usually go for quite a bit in these parts, at around $120 cdn for a sub-adult, unsexed.
I paid $40 for her and the set up!
I have read so many threads where this kind of thing happens, but had never seen it personally... {D

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats a GOOD deal but they say everything is cheaper in Canada. :}

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had no idea that Brachypelma albopilosums were that expensive in Canada! They are one of the cheapest species here in the US, and an adult can usually be obtained for less than $30.00 US. Still, they shouldn't be overlooked; I have two of them, both females, and they are wonderful for a first-time T. I have a large, fat adult, probably female, and a younger, subadult female. I got both for under $30.00, including the guaranteed female. Both are very docile and calm and eat like hogs! This is, in my opinion, a better beginner's T species than G. rosea. Still, I guess you did get a deal to get both the spider AND the set-up, since the set-ups alone can cost that much from a pet shop here. Enjoy your new find, and I know after you've had her awhile, you will agree with me on the Best Beginner T lable!

pitbulllady

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my local petshop, a Brachypelma albopilosum costs 55$!!! :eek:
Very expensive!
Dom

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm Canadian and I've never spent more than $60 for a T at a petstore. My last petstore purchase was a mature male and female OBT and I only paid $40 for the pair!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
I'm Canadian and I've never spent more than $60 for a T at a petstore. My last petstore purchase was a mature male and female OBT and I only paid $40 for the pair!
Then the availability must be much better. They are way more expensive here!

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nah I payed 20 bucks for a sling here in california it is now about 3 inches big

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When i get a tarantula from a pet store, they cost me way way more than 40. At least 100 for adults.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently bought an adult female Poecilotheria formosa for $82 from a pet store. Now that's an awesome deal.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
woah that is one really good deal. The best deal i have gotten was 100 for a female p regalis. she is pretty darn big. I dont even know if that is a good deal but it is the best deal i have gotten.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my 4" P. regalis for a picking up a pack of cigs for my friend. How's that for a deal. LOL :}

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess you got the deal of the century. I dont think anyone can beat that deal.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
$100 is a little much, I think. As a P. regalis is probably the most common pokie you can get. I wouldn't buy an adult female P. regalis for no more then $75. Just my thought.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
manville said:
I guess you got the deal of the century. I dont think anyone can beat that deal.
HAHA!!! I am laughing because I have gotten even better deals then that (free juvie and adult Ts). Ok, I will shut my mouth now.

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Enjoy your new find, and I know after you've had her awhile, you will agree with me on the Best Beginner T lable!
Great spiders, but they have their moods. Last time I tried to handle a couple of my wife's, they kicked hair at me ;)

Chris

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never seen either one of my Curlies kick hairs, though the larger of the two, the one that is yet-unsexed, sometimes doesn't want to be messed with, and will just turn and face my hand, not in a threat pose, but with a look that just says, "leave me ALONE!" The younger of the two is always obliging about stepping up onto my hand, often without prodding. The older one SHOULD be in pre-moult, but is still eating, so I'm not sure. I paid $25.00 for the guaranteed female from an invert dealer, and only $19.00 for the other one, from a pet shop, of all places. That's about the least I have ever paid for a T, except for a wild-caught "Mystery Aphonopelma" that a friend's son had out in New Mexico and got tired of, so she brought it to me on her 18-wheeler when she came through this area.

pitbulllady

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Manville if Cobblehill is close to Chilliwack quit paying so much for Ts and shop out here (Animal House Located on Luckucuck[spelling?]way across from futureshop)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So... more good fortune! Stopped at another pet store, and they had someone turn in a recently matured male curly hair! $25 for him, $65 for the pair.
I took a friend's advice today and bought lottery tickets... just in case. If I win, free spiders for all!

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sheri said:
So... more good fortune! Stopped at another pet store, and they had someone turn in a recently matured male curly hair! $25 for him, $65 for the pair.
I took a friend's advice today and bought lottery tickets... just in case. If I win, free spiders for all!
I am first in line.

I am still debating on whether or not I want to buy that male or female P. fasciata for $82 from the pet store.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Btw spider-man 2 are you forgetting that i am talking in CDN money not US?