Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't try this at home

Last edited:

No name

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
leiurus said:
Why not? Very nice spider! Where is it from?
Dom
Hi Leiurus,

Of course you can.

Just have to watch out for its fangs,as this particular species has pretty nasty venoms.Just a piece of note, the LD50 of the crude venoms in mice is 1.16mg/kg

Regards,

Last edited:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice tarantula! I have never heard of that genus or species before.

No name

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
manville said:
Very nice tarantula! I have never heard of that genus or species before.
Quoted from SpiderPharm:

Ornithoctonus huwena ( Theraphosidae) is a robust burrowing tarantula which is native to Southern China and Vietnam. Selenocosmia huwena has transferred to the genus Ornithoctonus recently and some consider it to be a synonym of Haplopelma schmidti.

Regards,

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow - nice killer.
I heard about Ornithoctonus many times, but in Poland they are not availible.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pictures, though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of the 'pseudo-machoism' of such "don't try this!" threads.

I hate to come accross as being anal, bit if you're to continue with the 'carapace' grip demonstrated in figure one, I strongly suggest you take hold of the specimen between legs II and III. It'll provide more support to the specimen, and avoid the excess weight/strain on the opisthosomal regions. It allows for greater manipulation of the spider, thus more control. Also, the spider's mobility is reduced, so you should in theory, be slightly safer...

I can see the similarities of it with schmidti anyway. Here's a pic I took last year

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice one Defiler

some mroe examples of some of mine :D

T blondi female

T blondi male

P murinus male

No name

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
deifiler said:
Nice pictures, though to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of the 'pseudo-machoism' of such "don't try this!" threads.

I hate to come accross as being anal, bit if you're to continue with the 'carapace' grip demonstrated in figure one, I strongly suggest you take hold of the specimen between legs II and III. It'll provide more support to the specimen, and avoid the excess weight/strain on the opisthosomal regions. It allows for greater manipulation of the spider, thus more control. Also, the spider's mobility is reduced, so you should in theory, be slightly safer...
It was suppose to be a rountine mites check,particularly for this sp. And it was not meant for any "show off" that you earlier though
:rolleyes:

Rather, I should have use "Mites check" as the thread title, would that make a big different?

Lastly,thanks for sharing on your griping method.

Regards,