WOOHOO - FINALLY got my H. maculata!!

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know they aren't the real expensive T's ... but I had wanted one for ages, and had 2 false starts (after losing a tiny H. maculata sling awhile back :( ) ... one was labeled as such, and was bought for me as a gift from my sweetie. Valentine is a P. lugardi, turns out, and just molted for the first time since I got her 5 months ago - and is female :D !! The second false start was when I bought a sling when in FL, sold to me ( I feel certain the person I bought it from didn't know any better!! and didn't intentionally sell me something else) as an H. maculata, and now I know this baby as my S. calceatum, Myakka. Actually a really good deal, as I only paid $12 for her!! So not really disappointed, but WANTED my H. maculata!!

So FINALLY, last evening, I got my wish!! My sweetie stopped by the store I frequent, after my begging call to her to PLEEEEASE bring me home that pretty little thing, and VIOLA!!!! I am now VERY happy to introduce Togo II (I know, not a really original name, but in honor of the FIRST Togo I had, a tiny sling who died after a molt, a year or more ago):

Attachments

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You let it crawl on you???? :eek:

I think I would handle just about any T before I'd handle one of those.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just about any T but not that T. Right, I think I get it now. {D :?

Anyways, The pet store needs to take better care of their inventory! :mad:

Anywho, Congratulations on your spider there and I am very sorry for you loss. And I don` think you are crazy or anything for handling the T. I did it not too long ago with a P.regalis, and an H.maculata. :)

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Come on people she has an S. calceatum ;P , if she can handle that she can handle anything. :p Yes I know they are not the monstors that their rep has given them but their venom can sometimes be highly potent. I say sometimes because there was a bite report which almost killed a man, but a lot of the bite reports from captive owned S. calceatums are not bad at all. :p

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow - handling H.maculata and S.calceatum is a dangerous thing.
You need to watch out - they are extremely fast and they have strong venom. Beautiful Togo.

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aw, you GUYS!!!!

Don't worry, y'all ... I am VERY up-to-date on venom facts, and fully know the chances I take. I don't mean to sound idiodic, but I really do take a "read" on them before any photo sessions ... my H. lividum, P. regalis (Goddess rest Blitz's soul ... how I miss her!) T. gigas, P. lugardi, OBT ... they have all had photo sessions in my hands, and are all quite mellow during the handling. I am not saying I am oblivious to the obvious fact that they might suddenly feel threatened, but I do take every precaution and don't believe I am being foolish. I use that time of tactile bonding to send them psychic messages of love and calm, of trust and respect. So far, I have had no bad experiences. I am not bragging ... I guess I am trying to explain myself a bit!! Thanks for any concerns, and believe me - I am not so cocky that I do ANYTHING as a show-off or with bravado or ego. They are my babies - simply said!! :)

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice beast, I'd like to have one, but for now i'm not ready :) Respect for handling H.maculata :)