Potting soil Question

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I picked up some potting soil made from earth, earthworm castings, and peatmoss. It also says it contains perlite and pumice for spacing and air space. Are these ingrediants potentially harmfull to a sling?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Perlite is fine. Pumice... I can't say for sure, but I think those are pretty inert so it should be OK. Earthworm castings? Interesting...

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I figured it should be fine, but im just want to be really carefull with my new slings. Well, off to the post office! Im going to pick them up now. Weeee! {D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That should be fine. I usually get a bag of potting soil and a bag of peat moss and mix it myself.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
Earthworm castings? Interesting...
It's easier than trying to keep your own colony of earthworms in your flower pots.
:}

Wes

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
earthworm poo

your post doesn't mention what kind of spiders you're getting, but the only reason the worm poo might be a problem is if you have a species that likes it humid/moist/damp/anything other than dry.

The worm poo would make your substrate "ripe" (pun intended) for molds, fungi, etc...if you have a dry cage w/no moisture in the substrate I don't think it'll be a problem.