can crix hurt a sling?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just got back from the petstore to get some small crix for the a purpurea sling. i got 1 in there with her and it is as big as her. she is staying away from it. i'll give her till tomorrow and ill have fun trying to get a crix out and keeping the T in. but in the mean time, will this crix hurt her, can it turn the tables on the sling?

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It can turn the tables on the T easily. I usually crush the head of my cricket for slings or if the crix are that much bigger just pull off a rear leg for the T.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gene said:
It can turn the tables on the T easily. I usually crush the head of my cricket for slings or if the crix are that much bigger just pull off a rear leg for the T.
Yeah, I've never seen it, but it might be able to. I KNOW it could if it was molting. I do like Gene and mash it's head or disable it.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Chuck,
I had the same problem with cricket sizes and my purps this week too. Haven't had access to 10 day old crix this week. What I did is crush the crix head and put it on the purps web near it (if it made a web). For the purps that didn't make a web I placed it on the substrate of the container. They ate either way the crix were presented to them. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it eats if you do this. I had one or two that didn't, out of the group.
Mike

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok i just beheaded the crix and added a few more headless crix. left one on the cork closer to her web and others on the floor. also have 2 sow bugs in there, can they harm the sling?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just rip the back legs off of the large crickets that I feed to my B. smithi sling. As for woodlice they won't hurt your T, my large Ts ignore them while my slings make them a tasty snack

Stardust

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I normally will pull off the cricket's hind legs before tossing them into the enclosure of my various pets.... :)

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a Aphonopelma seemanni sling and the freakin cricket ate the damn spider. Always make the cricket a little tender before giving it to the spider if it is small compared to the cricket*

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I asked this same question to mike jacobi and he said that as along as the crix are not bigger than the T it is fine, but the crix can be up to the same size as the t.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
got my 3 day olds in today, and damn theyre small. how do people get them into the T's tank w/o crushing them. tweezers are no good, i even tried fingers and i still crushed them. and tips or inovations?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never had to use them super tiny ones, but how about you flick a few pinheads into a vial and then slowly tilt the vial, perhaps even use a toothpick to maneuver one or two of them out into your slings enclosures?

Just an idea.

---
Wendy
---

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Chuck,
Put a paper towel tube, crumpled newspaper, or even paper towels in with the crix. The crix will use these as hide spots. Then you can simply pick up the tube (or whatever you're using) and shake it into a clear bag. Once in the bag you can control the amounts of crix introduced by allowing the exact number you want in the t container to fall out of the bag when tilted.
Mike

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i followed Socrates method. got 4 in alive. just peal away the container and tip the vile and a little smack and they all fell in. just waiting on the sling to eat.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
siucfi said:
I asked this same question to mike jacobi and he said that as along as the crix are not bigger than the T it is fine, but the crix can be up to the same size as the t.

Is this re: dead or live prey? If live, there's no way I'd put same size with my T's...

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've given my slings crix whose body length was bigger than the T's body, and sometimes the crick body is equal in length to the T's legspan.

So I've given T's w/a 3/4" LS crix w/a 3/4" body length and never had problems. It's kind of odd to see the T dragging that body back to the web, or to see them hunkered on top of it chowing down.

Maiming crix before feeding sounds like a good preventative measure in cases like the size diff you mention, but from what I've seen it's not necessary.

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I learned my lesson trying to feed to large a prey item to a sling without incapacitating it... the prey item... NOT the sling... the cricket moved around so much it collapsed the den the spider was hiding in and crushed the A. seemanii under the dirt...

Needless to say... I fed the cricket to my larger GBB sling... and the cricket got the punishment it deserved... right through the brain pan... but unfortunately it won't bring back my little sling... now I am MUCH more careful about feeding my babies... won't happen a second time...

Peace Out

Ken

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there will be some head mashing going on for crikets that are bigger then my sling

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would reccomend head crushing, chopping, or incapcitating it in some way. They will burrow into anything and become beatles that the tarantula will have little defense against.

I always fee a little bit guilty when I crush a crickets head with tweesers. But it helps guarantee the survival of my T, so it's worth it. :)

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just picked up some crix from the pet store but they were all out of pinheads so i just got the guy to grab me the smallest ones he could find.

my first time feeding my sling since i got it (had a meal the day i got him) so it was a little nervwracking, so i just popped the top off the bottle my A.Avic is in and it pretty much just ignored me, the criket was about the same size as the sling so i pulled the back legs off and shook it around a bit before tossing it in. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be.