Avic. enclosure, comments welcome

tma

Arachnopeon
Hi,
This is my second T, first arboreal and would like some input on my setup.
The tank is 13Hx14Lx9W(inches).
I drilled about 14 (3/16inch) holes around the bottom (1-1/2 to 2 inches) above substrate.
The Avic. is about 3inches.

Here she is in her web she started to build

thomas

Last edited:

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a quick question why was it neccessary to drill the extra holes?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome Setup!

Hi Thomas,

I LOVE your Avic's enclosure, WOW! You must have done everthing right, especially since your Avic has already begun to make a web.

I've had my Avic for a little less than a month, transferred her 3 times ( :eek: ) and she STILL hasn't really webbed much.

Oh, and I never said it before: Welcome to the Boards. :)

---
Wendy
---

MoRBiD

Arachnopeon
I've had my Avic for a little less than a month, transferred her 3 times ( ) and she STILL hasn't really webbed much
i keep asking myself how she should be able to web if she gets transferred every 10 days... :?

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avic webs

I don't know if I just have "the touch" for avics or what :) , but my versi slings webbed up their betta cups the day after they came in the mail. I had to move them into new cups once, and by the next day they had at least *started* webbing.

I never could understand why people got so excited about their avics webbing, but I guess some just don't get it as easily as others... :?

tma

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of the replies and comments :)

Just a quick question why was it neccessary to drill the extra holes?
Probabably not neccessary, but since I mist once a day(to keep the humidity up) and keep the substrate moist it may help keep the mold away. Adds a little air flow across the substrate.

thomas

MoRBiD

Arachnopeon
hi,

in my opinion it is not necessary to mist everyday....
it's not even good to keep 'em wet like this.

misting once or twice a week should be enough, really....

u have a waterdish in there, ur spider wont dry out.....

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where did you get the really cool tree? and how much?

tma

Arachnopeon
in my opinion it is not necessary to mist everyday....
it's not even good to keep 'em wet like this.
misting once or twice a week should be enough, really....
Will do, thanks for the tip :)

Where did you get the really cool tree? and how much?
It's driftwood I collected around the marsh(4 pieces, 3 drilled and glued into the bigger piece) all dried out and clean.
Then I took the plastic stems of the fake leaves and drilled them into the wood.

thomas

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Oh, what a pretty setup! I've got my 2 year old A. metallica in one of those Kritter Keepers, but have it set on end so the spider can web up to the ceiling in the back and is not disturbed when I open the front. I don't use any substrate with my Avics, either, but give the slings a folded paper towel that I spray with water and can easily change for cleanliness, while larger ones get water dishes. They have silk ivy to climb around on, which I spray every once in a while. I also tend to spend a lot of time drilling holes into spider containers, having come to the conclusion that air circulation is of major importance, especially for Avics.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
nice setup! I always drill vent holes around the bottom for airflow as well, since I started doing this, I've had zero problems with fungus, etc.