Tank Ideas for the new guy

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Hey,

After a little convincing (not as much as i thought i would need) with my fiance i got my first Tarantula yesterday, its just a little guy, an A. Avic. Now he is in a little container with lots of ventelation, substraite, stick for climbing, but once he gets bigger i have a 10 gallon tank for him to live in, i am just needing some ideas for what to put in the tank, if any of you have any pictures of A. Avic tanks that i can see for ideas that would be great.

oh and good to meet you all (im Erik btw) im sure i will learn a lot from you`s guys.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I suggest siliconing a a piece ocork bar or some thing for it to climb on to the side of the tank. Maybe a plant(fake or real) and make sure you have a water dish

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They would probably like a cork bark in it. Something for them to climb on.

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the replys

cork bark gotcha, pretty much so it has lots of stuff to climb and web on to with some hiding spots.

heheh im going to end up buying a lot more spiders i can tell right now, the addiction has started

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats just what im looking for, thanks socrates, that will deffently give me some ideas to work with, granted i have lots of time untill my Avic is bi enough to go in.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
TheHypnoToad said:
thanks for the replys

cork bark gotcha, pretty much so it has lots of stuff to climb and web on to with some hiding spots.

heheh im going to end up buying a lot more spiders i can tell right now, the addiction has started
Trust me, if nothings holding you back, you will end up with a room full of spiders. I'm suprised my friends still come over. {D

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heheh yeah once we get a house i plan on having a room with some tanks in it, my fiance even agreed, she loves spiders just refuses to admit it.

along the line of what to have in the tank, if i put in some real wood or real plants would it need to be washed or anything first?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TheHypnoToad said:
along the line of what to have in the tank, if i put in some real wood or real plants would it need to be washed or anything first?
If you use REAL plants, I would just give them a very thorough bath before putting them into the enclosure to remove any possible fertilizer or stuff that makes the leaves shiny.

As for real wood, I would bake it at 250 degrees for an hour or so to kill off parasites that may be hidden and/or other possible dangerous creatures that could be lurking in there. {D

---
Wendy
---

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bake at 250 for 30 minutes add four and eggs and ive got a cake

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TheHypnoToad said:
bake at 250 for 30 minutes add four and eggs and ive got a cake
...and make sure to share with us all how it tasted. (Hey, toothpicks and necessary roughage were included in meal) {D

---
Wendy
---

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TheHypnoToad said:
heheh yeah once we get a house i plan on having a room with some tanks in it, my fiance even agreed, she loves spiders just refuses to admit it.

I wouldn't be surprised. People seem to really warm up to the little things when they find out that they aren't particularly evil. ;)

My wife loves them (though she's still somewhat scarred of them. Personally I'm even still a little nervous around them -- stemming mostly from lack of experience with them; I'm sure a few more months of keeping them will cure me of that-- but absolutely fascinated by them. I've always been interested in arachnids, myself, and was very happy when I found out that there are a number of non medically significant scorpions that one can keep as pets. (Scorpions being what got me into all this in the first place, really. Tarantulas came next.)

Well, what else can one say? Welcome; give your avic. something to climb, and hide behind. If it's larger than about 1.5" give it a dish of water. Read the caresheets, and I highly recommend both A. versicolor and A. metalica. ;)

Chris

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the welcome, this forum is a lot more friendly when your new, a lot of the ones i have joined in the past the people act like they are better because they have been posting longer.

when i first told my fiance i was getting one "im not looking at it or touching it!" was the response i got lol then as soon as i got it home she wanted to hold it, go figure.

when i get home from work tonight (yes im working very hard right now haha) i have some nice somewhat hallow peices of wood to "bake"

Last edited:

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Erik... welcome to the addiction reinforcement centre... LOLOL

NO-ONE here will help you quit your addiction... thankfully... LOL... I am so looking forward to your Woodcake... I hope you plan on sharing with Ex-Teammates... LOL... Just to update you on My spider condition... my T. blondi and G. pulchra have finally come out of their hides and are currently hunting down as many crix as they can put in their mouths... LOL... The T. blondi has 3 crix in there right now... and is still chasing down other crix... the G. pulchra is being a bit more delicate... she only has 2... LOL...

on a side note... I will be getting a Digital Camera from the place I work and I will be posting some nice photos of several of my babies... at least the ones that are willing to co-operate... HOPEFULLY I will be able to get some good pics... and hopefully NOT get bitten... LOL... gonna be shooting the pics in the back yard at my apartment building I live in... LOLOL... can't wait to see the reactions of the NON-Arachnid loving people as I wander back and forth chasing spiders across the lawn... LOLOL...

Peace Out

Ken

Megalodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Hey Ken,

nice on the T. blondi and G. pulchra sounds like they are doing well. Thanks again for the A. Avic sling who i have decided to name "Voodoo", Im going to drop in a criket either tomorrow or tuesday and try and take some pics of the little guy. Im also planning on getting the G. Rosea they have at Pet Paradise, rescue it from the crappy tank they have it in.

also some good news, i will no longer be doing activations muhahah i found someone to do a swap with and im going back to ntc with 12 o`clock start thur-fri off, so im happy about that.

looking forward to the pics Ken, see u at work.

Last edited:

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheHypnoToad said:
Hey Hey Ken,

nice on the T. blondi and G. pulchra sounds like they are doing well. Thanks again for the A. Avic sling who i have decided to name "Voodoo", Im going to drop in a criket either tomorrow or tuesday and try and take some pics of the little guy. Im also planning on getting the G. Rosea they have at Pet Paradise, rescue it from the crappy tank they have it in.
Nice Name... :) and to be honest... better than what you had picked..... :D and first off... let me apologize publicly for starting you down the road of addiction... LOLOL... As for feeding... can't go wrong... just remember... watch to see that the food don't last 24 hrs alive... just spent the last hour or so feeding all mine... MOST of them didn't let the food last a minute... namely the pokies and the 2 mentioned above... voracious... need to get larger crix... and either a mouse or a small anole for my G. rosea... and speaking of G. rosea... you can't go wrong with them... MOST of them are very nice natured... just be warned of the hair AFTER they molt... been over 2 weeks and my hands are STILL burning... Damn those Urcticating hairs...

TheHypnoToad said:
also some good news, i will no longer be doing activations muhahah i found someone to do a swap with and im going back to ntc with 12 o`clock start thur-fri off, so im happy about that.
Sweet !!! No activations is Good Activations IMHO... LOL I would say Enjoy... but that won't be a problem as I see... LOLOL

TheHypnoToad said:
looking forward to the pics Ken, see u at work.
As am I man... as am I... I am looking at starting a web page with pics and stats of all my spiders soon... just gotta get the software and learn how to make a page... :)

Peace Out

Ken