This Is Sweeeeeettt!!!

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok i found something really awesome today. I was checking out my avic tank and discovered (thanks to G Wrights site) i have a male and a female avic.avic. one has the "hole" and one does'nt. so what next? i dont see hooks on the male. Do male avic's have tibial hooks? theese two spiders have been housed together since birth. and have lived toghether since i got them in april with absolutely no issues whatsoever, perhaps this is why one male and one female(inbreeding an issue here?) i dont think the female is mature but she is very dark and BIt*%Y so i am thinking a mole it comming soon. the male (now that i know he is male) has been building smaller webs here and there no tube webs to live in just small webs like the spiders on my porch.

if in the next few months i happen to get to breed them and see an eggsac i would be willing to sell ther slings to whoever wants them, just pay shipping and maybe 5$ for 2 slings. if a breeder wants the lot of them we could discuss something.

this is a longshot that they will mate soon but it would be SWEEEETTT!

any input is appreciated.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they do have spurs, so he is not mature yet. Which would also mean that if they are from the same sac that she is not either. In most species, the males mature faster than the females which could be nature's way of preventing direct inbreeding. Avics mature in about 18 months, but I am not sure what the break down is for sex.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Refer to the post made yesterday for a list of all T's without tibial hooks. I think A. Avics do.

Inbreeding happens in the while a lot, since T's live in close proximity to eachother. Im sure if they bred it would be ok. Of course it would be ideal to have T's from diffrent mothers. Good luck with any breeding attempts, and good luck with your comunal setup as well.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
one has the "hole" and one does'nt.
What do you mean by hole? I've never read any reference to a hole. The most accurate way of determining the gender of a T is to check its exuvium for spermathica. I would be interested in another method.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"HOLE" - a small opening in something (lol)

Well i have been seeing posts on ways to determine sex by looking at the exterior near the booklungs. one has what looks like a hole, nothing unnatural anbd the other has simply a triangle looking thing.
i found a LOT of info on GWRIGHTS site about how to do this. i am not an expert but i'll be dammed if the two look so different and arent male and female. i will try to get some pics but i am not 100% sure on how to properly pick up the T like G Wright held his blondi for similar pics. i know if you do it wrong it pisses off the T and makes it think it was attacked. i noticed the dfifferences because the avic's were spread eagle on the front of the glass and i used a flashlight to look closely.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Refer to the post made yesterday for a list of all T's without tibial hooks. I think A. Avics do.

i want to know the species without tibial hooks....i cant find that thread :?
could u show us. thanks.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks Jeremy, your a big help, i went ahead and print it for future reference.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

sheri said:
Which would also mean that if they are from the same sac that she is not either. In most species, the males mature faster than the females which could be nature's way of preventing direct inbreeding.
is this really true or just an old story/imagination/wishthinking which is passed on from one generation of tarantula keepers to the next generation of tarantula keepers?
my humble opinion on this topic: >>click here<< or >>click here<< or ...

all the best,
Martin