PDA

View Full Version : P transvalicis pic...

Phillip
11-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Got a new pic of one of my P transvalicis ( spelling might be off :) )
Thought the business end showed up nicely in this one.
enjoy

Phil
http://redwineexotics.com/P_transvalicis_11-24-02_lg.jpg

skinheaddave
11-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Nice! I just can't get over the size of the sting on these guys. I also can't get over how much they use them. My bicolor will not sting any prey item under a certain size. My P.trans seem to sting even the smallest prey items.

Cheers,
Dave

Alonso99
11-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Nice Scorp. How venomous are they and how big do they get?

skinheaddave
11-24-2002, 04:22 PM
They aren't the most venomous scorpion on earth, though you don't really want to get stung by them. They also have the ability to spray their venom, which you wouldn't want to get in your eyes or the like.

They don't get more than about 4.5-5" long, which is still an impressively sized scorpion.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager
11-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Nice scorp...I like the detail on the metasoma...wicked
];')

AlbinoDragon829
11-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by skinheaddave
My P.trans seem to sting even the smallest prey items.

Cheers,
Dave

I'll have to get one of those when I am able to make space for scorpions again.

AlbinoDragon829
11-24-2002, 07:33 PM
They also have the ability to spray their venom, which you wouldn't want to get in your eyes or the like.

Does anyone have a picture of this?

Alonso99
11-24-2002, 11:39 PM
What other Scorps do you have?

Phillip
11-24-2002, 11:58 PM
I currently have the following. ( Forgive any spelling boo boos as I don't have my page with all of them spelled correctly as I type this. )

Androctonus australis
Androctonus bicolor
Parabuthus transvalicis
Heteromedrus swammerdami
Arizona bark scorp ( forgot the Latin )
Deathstalkers ( L quinquestriatus )
Tri color hissers
Yellow dune scorp ( Latin is on Kellys page )
Emporers
And a local scorp I haven't ID ed yet

Phil

Alonso99
11-25-2002, 12:04 AM
Wow You have Heteromedrus swammerdami, can you post some pics how big are they???

Phillip
11-26-2002, 12:34 AM
It's about an inch long. According to Gearhart they get longer than any other but I'll have to wait a while to see how big bigger is.

Phil

zoobugs
12-10-2002, 07:01 PM
They also have the ability to spray their venom, which you wouldn't want to get in your eyes or the like

My batch of transvaals have never sprayed, but I have noticed numerous droplets at the telson tip whenever I have to pick them up with tweezers.

skinheaddave
12-10-2002, 10:45 PM
They are apparently quite hesitant to use this as a form of defence (makes sense from an energy investment standpoint). The droplets are interesting. Is it possible that having such an excess of venom has translated into a little "drippage" with use? I'm skeptical, but there has got to be a reason.

Cheers,
Dave