Kritter Keeper's: Easy escape?

OUChevelleSS

Arachnopeon
My A. versicolor keeps escaping out of those standard little kritter keepers with a purplish ventiliated lid. It's a 1/2'' size spider. I can't figure out how it's escaping, there are only skinny verticle slits in the lid so I can't figure out how. Do these have any known weak escape points?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A kritter keeper is to big for a 1/2", even the smallest kritter keepers. Try using a small delicup. T's can flatten out and slip through the smallest openings and it doesn't take much of an opening for a 1/2" sling to slip through.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
GUSTO said:
A kritter keeper is to big for a 1/2", even the smallest kritter keepers. Try using a small delicup. T's can flatten out and slip through the smallest openings and it doesn't take much of an opening for a 1/2" sling to slip through.
Yeah, a kritter keeper is simply too large for a 1/2 inch avic. I use small acrylic boxes I get from a hobby store, with tiny little holes drilled in it. But deli cups work well.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that a critter keeper is a bit big too. But if you must keep it in one, there are openings where the handle attaches to the lid. Your little guy is probably getting out through those. I've had crix get out that way.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would get a tall delicup and put it since there aboreal or you can do the box thing to :)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you could also get some bulk screen from the hard ware store, and stretch it across the opening then snap the lid down on top of the screen. i would imagine the lid would keep the screen secured and the screen would keep the sling secured. sounds good in theory...bulk screen is usually like 50cents a foot around here...

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
you could also get some bulk screen from the hard ware store, and stretch it across the opening then snap the lid down on top of the screen. i would imagine the lid would keep the screen secured and the screen would keep the sling secured. sounds good in theory...bulk screen is usually like 50cents a foot around here...
Try using an old nylon its cheaper and the holes are smaller

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol how about NEW nylons, the old ones could have some foot funk on them...lol good idea though...

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
lol how about NEW nylons, the old ones could have some foot funk on them...lol good idea though...
And...How many guys wear nylons anyway? I mean, I'm not one to judge. I say if you have 'em, go for it. Anyway....

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well you'd have to buy new ones anyways, unless the wife or girlfriend wants to donate a new pair. I would'nt go stealing nylons from my gf. I might grab her victorias secret stuff and she would have me assaniated for such stupidity.

Pedro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8 leg wears nylon ALOT i've seen it, anyways there are some really big kritter keppers how big is the one u use, i've heard of .5" slings getting through some small slits, a good sized deil cup or nylon stockings is prob. the best idea. maybe some chesse cloth.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
well you'd have to buy new ones anyways, unless the wife or girlfriend wants to donate a new pair. I would'nt go stealing nylons from my gf. I might grab her victorias secret stuff and she would have me assaniated for such stupidity.
{D {D ROFLMAO @ your statement! {D {D

---
Wendy
---

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's funny but i know she'd kill me. not really, but i would be in the doghouse for a while lol...

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
all of my 1/4 - 3/4" slings are in the mason-jar-pepper-shackers ( with nylons between top and jar for extra safty).
dianne

ps. walmart has the jars for 50 cents

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
mouse said:
all of my 1/4 - 3/4" slings are in the mason-jar-pepper-shackers ( with nylons between top and jar for extra safty).
dianne

ps. walmart has the jars for 50 cents
Mouse, Thanx for the info. I am planning to go to Wal-Mart tommorow to look for something to put some slings in.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For 1/2" Avics, I recommend a container like this,

It keeps them from escaping when you open it (they run up instead of out) and they seem to like the set up better than a cup or pill bottle. Definitely more secure than a Kritter keeper when they are that small.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Diane S said:
For 1/2" Avics, I recommend a container like this,
[

Definitely more secure than a Kritter keeper when they are that small.

What size box is that? I was looking @ them @ the craft store the other day and couldn't figger out what size to get...

Anyway, my slings are 1.25" now and they'll be moulting again in a week or so, then I'm gonna move them into some 1 Gal containers I have that are about 12" tall... tres posh! :)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are about 1" wide by 3" tall. Those are the smallest I use for the 1/2" slings.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had an interesting experience with avic slings and a small kritter keeper.

A few months back, I purchased a small lot of avic slings from the same eggsac to start my own communal set up. I had fixed up the smallest sized kritter keeper for them and had used window screening between the container and lid for added escape security.

All through the first day, I kept checking up on them very frequently, every 30-45 min. I loved the set up and especially loved being able to see so many Ts in one space.

Then, on one of my "look ins", I'm looking at the enclosure and the first thought that comes to mind was "hmmm, that's funny, I can't see one of them now. Before, I could always spot one or two right away and then have fun spotting where the rest are". After a minute or two of looking, it changed to "I can't even see any of them any more!".

I was quite confused for a few seconds until I looked next to the enclosure. Well, there was a little avic sling all by it's lonesome just looking at me!!! All the buggers (5)had escaped!!! And in the space of 30-45 min no less!!!! I luckily found 4 right away in the immediate vicinity. The enclosure was among many T enclosure in a bookshelf and one was a few inches from the enclosure on the same shelf, the 3 others had climbed up to the top and were found there. The next day, I found the 5th missing sling walking on a wall 12' away from the bookcase. I considered myself quite lucky to have found them all.

How did they escape? I'm still not sure. It can't have been through the screen as the holes of it were too small. I can only guess that there was a small gap between the screening and the container somewhere though I never found it (looked without taking the lid off first).

What really surprised me was that they all escaped at once! I mean 5 slings all finding the one weakness in about 30 min??? As if one of them found it and said "hey guys! here's the way out!" And they all went!

The nylon sounds like a great option, I will try that next time I need added protection from escapes.

Pixie