Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi, all
i just wanted to show off my beautiful B. auratum
her name is Iris,I named her after a co-worker :D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. Nice spider. B. auratum is definitely one of my favorite Brachys.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
It looks to me like a B.smithi instead of a B.auratum. Here is a pic of a B.auratum. http://www.freewebs.com/tracymessenger/B.auratum.htm but if it is a B.auratum nice T :)
should be a B. auratum. I have both and even a freshly molted B. smithi does not have knees as red as a pre-molted B. auratum. Besides B. auratum has more discrete red stripes on the knees (surrounded by black) than B. smithi.

sektone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice t and photo .. good focus point... are the auratum's docile like the smithi's?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think it is aratium, i can see the stripes in the knees..the smithi has a solid color in that area right? if you look close you can tell there are stripes instead of solid color. it might just be a resolution problem but i can see it.

EDIT: it does appeart to be a resolution issue with the pic, notice how the backround is a bit fuzzy? or perhaps the T needs a molt.

Ruben Olsen

Arachnopeon
Hi

I think you have a Brachypelma Smithi, can you give us some more pictures plaese.

Here's my B.Auratum and B. Smithi.

Brachypelma Auratum

Brachypelma Smithi

And Brachypelma Smithi close uu on carapace

Cheers
Ruben Olsen
Denmark

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she is an auratum

should be a B. auratum. I have both and even a freshly molted B. smithi does not have knees as red as a pre-molted B. auratum. Besides B. auratum has more discrete red stripes on the knees (surrounded by black) than B. smithi.
my thoughts exactly and the red on the knees is more defined into a flame shape then with a B. smithi.

i will post some more photo's as soon i get them uploaded

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
see the difference

see the difference in the flame shape on the knee and stripe details
it's fairly easy to make a mistake in identifying these spiders , for years they were considerd to be variations of the same species.

my B. auratum

and my pictures are taken with a rather old (low resolution) digital camera
i don't think she has to have a change of clothes soon cause she keeps stuffing her face like crazy , average survival time for crickets is less then 20 sec. :D

Last edited: