Poecilotheria sp.

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do think is the 3 rarest poecilotheria sp. ? just like to know other members opinions... i think p.metallica, p.subfusca, and p.striata. thanks

jeff

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
p. smithi , p. metallica and that newly described one ;P in the hoby at least

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Jeff, As Bearo wrote, you would have to clarify your question. I assume you mean "rarest in the hobby", but that would even have to be qualified - do you mean in US arachnoculture, international arachnoculture... ? Again, as Bearo wrote, Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica has only been recently described and is not in the trade - anywhere in the world. And since it occurs on "holy ground" (or should I say "holy trees" {D ), it may never legally enter the trade. Also, Poecilotheria uniformis is known from a single preserved specimen, and Poecilotheria vittata is... well, we'll let the taxonomists argue that one! ;P

But assuming you are limiting your question to the least common in American arachnoculture, the three would be: Poecilotheria metallica, P. smithi and P. subfusca. Poecilotheria striata might be fifth behind P. miranda, but one could argue that P. pederseni is less prevalent in US collections than P. striata.

I'll let our European friends chime in with whether the same three would hold true for Europe.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
Jeff, As Bearo wrote, you would have to clarify your question. I assume you mean "rarest in the hobby", but that would even have to be qualified - do you mean in US arachnoculture, international arachnoculture... ? Again, as Bearo wrote, Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica has only been recently described and is not in the trade - anywhere in the world. And since it occurs on "holy ground" (or should I say "holy trees" {D ), it may never legally enter the trade. Also, Poecilotheria uniformis is known from a single preserved specimen, and Poecilotheria vittata is... well, we'll let the taxonomists argue that one! ;P

But assuming you are limiting your question to the least common in American arachnoculture, the three would be: Poecilotheria metallica, P. smithi and P. subfusca. Poecilotheria striata might be fifth behind P. miranda, but one could argue that P. pederseni is less prevalent in US collections than P. striata.

I'll let our European friends chime in with whether the same three would hold true for Europe.

I heard some rumors that there are a person that have Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica in German!? But I don´t know if it´s true?

/My Webpage, Phalagorn - Poecilotheria ssp. © http://www.zoonen.com/minzoon.asp?oid=22299

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
Jeff, As Bearo wrote, you would have to clarify your question. I assume you mean "rarest in the hobby", but that would even have to be qualified - do you mean in US arachnoculture, international arachnoculture... ? Again, as Bearo wrote, Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica has only been recently described and is not in the trade - anywhere in the world. And since it occurs on "holy ground" (or should I say "holy trees" {D ), it may never legally enter the trade. Also, Poecilotheria uniformis is known from a single preserved specimen

The Indian Gov do like them coming out whatever trees they live in ;) , P.uniformis here P.u1 and here P.u2 and here P.u3

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

FryLock said:
The Indian Gov do like them coming out whatever trees they live in ;) , P.uniformis here P.u1 and here P.u2
be careful with the label of those pix! To my knowledge, they are not confirmned! These photos come from "M&S Reptilien". A few years ago they advertised that they will get Poecilotheria uniformis soon and offered them for about 80 or 90 EUR an adult female, if I remember right. They had these two and another photo on their website. Probably they got the photos from the guy who offered them the spiders and probably no taxonomist ever IDed them => no confirmed ID => for me it's just a pet trade name.
BTW, a lot of people preordered P. uniformis but never got any from M&S Reptilien. Rumors say that M&S lost a lot of money in this deal because they allegedly paid a lot of money as deposit, but never received any "Poecilotheria uniformis" and allegedly also never heard anything from the collector – who offered them the spiders – again...

This photo shows a specimen from the type series (I have also photos of the holotype, a male):

FryLock said:
all the best,
Martin

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Good point Martin that may explain why the pictures only show the under side after all the type is too faded to compare them against anyway, 80€ for an adult I would have thought that would have set ppl’s alarm bells ringing that’s about the same price as W/C female P. regalis at retail 12-14 years back with “pokiemadness” these days I would have thought the price would be at the very least two or three times that for a “new” Poecilotheria :?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

FryLock said:
that may explain why the pictures only show the under side
??? >>click here<< (from the same series & source)

FryLock said:
80€ for an adult I would have thought that would have set ppl’s alarm bells ringing
that has been in 1998/1999, when M&S has offered them => not that big Poeci hype at that time (and probably they got them offered for a good price, a larger number and they are more in reptiles than in spiders).
BTW, I possess old price lists, on which P. subfusca (adult females) have been even cheaper! *LOL*

all the best,
Martin

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
DoH missed the link and I was sure id seen a dorsal shot of it too as you say still does not prove if it really is P.uniformis, I wonder sometimes with the large sums changing hands now for animals like Pokies the chance exists of new species showing up without locality data being real or the result of breeding and raising hybrids possibly f2 or higher if fertile combinations can be found after all no one would know without good genetic profiles of all the known species of the genera involved and even then the cost would be huge :? hopefuly the work and time involved would put ppl off that said its happend with offspring of f1 hybrid pairings :(

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
P. nallamalaiensis = P. formosa. To be honest, this thread is so old, none of the spiders mentioned are rare in the hobby anymore.

Later, Tom

sbullet

Arachnoknight
I had know idea anyone thought striata was considered rare. I was like oh hell yea because I have a big female, but then that quickly got shut down as I read the other comments. ahah