Slate as a hide

Vampire

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
FYI.....I saw a Tblondi in a pet store & they had some small pieces of slate slanted and resting against the side of the tank.....The Tarantula stayed there between the glass and the slate. It made a good hide. Anyway, I decided to try some for my Tblondi and my big Rosie......they seem to love it....they both climbed on it to check it out & now they're using it instead of the hides I bought for them.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vampire said:
FYI.....I saw a Tblondi in a pet store & they had some small pieces of slate slanted and resting against the side of the tank.....The Tarantula stayed there between the glass and the slate. It made a good hide. Anyway, I decided to try some for my Tblondi and my big Rosie......they seem to love it....they both climbed on it to check it out & now they're using it instead of the hides I bought for them.
I've used slate in the past for spiders.Works well and can look good in a setup also.Just bear in mind that it's heavy and could severely injure a T if it falls on them.I stopped using it for just that purpose.I found they always dug under the slate which would have eventually lead to it collapsing if I hadn't removed it.Piled on other rocks and hotglued or siliconed together can make it very secure and some nice shelters can be fashioned to add some nice decor to the enclosures.