Information on Tarantula/Exotic pet ban in Newport News VA

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all,
I went to a local PetsMart yesterday and the cashier told me there is legislation being considered to ban the keeping of exotic pets in Newport News and Hampton Virginia.
Has any other Virginia keepers heard about this propose ban? and if so, where can I get information on it.
I'm considering starting a petition, but can't unless I can find out the exact intent/bounds of the proposed ban.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Ralph

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Call your city councilman/woman and inquire in their office. Then you can also tell them you personally don't want it and find out specifics of the legislation.

Wes

rknralf said:
Hi all,
I went to a local PetsMart yesterday and the cashier told me there is legislation being considered to ban the keeping of exotic pets in Newport News and Hampton Virginia.
Has any other Virginia keepers heard about this propose ban? and if so, where can I get information on it.
I'm considering starting a petition, but can't unless I can find out the exact intent/bounds of the proposed ban.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Ralph

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We need to "nip this in the bud" or it will spread across the entire country just like all legislation does.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wonder if the ATS could throw some legal aid at it if it is legitimate and not an urban rumor gone wild.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Brian S said:
We need to "nip this in the bud" or it will spread across the entire country just like all legislation does.
Iv seen this too from following threads on other boards about anti exotic laws state side, different states seem to copy the same blueprint after laws are pasted in one state another state looking too legislate on the same issue simply takes there draft and runs with it :mad:, the change iv seen is increasingly inverts seem too be added to proposed laws whereas before they targeted manly herps and primates, lets just hope ppl stand together to fight this kind of shi7e :cool:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Hey there,

I am about 300 miles southwest of you. And I haven't heard anything yet.
That sounds HORRIBLE though. You need to find out, so we can all get a petition going! That is unfair and ridiculous. And if you find out they are putting that in effect, try to find out what CAUSED them to want to do this.

It is always some ignorant soul that causes crap like this.

Keep us updated please!

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you tried a search on this topic here? Because I could swear I read something about this a month ago or so. I really hate the sound of this. And it seemed to me the legislation was coming about for the keeping of snakes there...but with wording like "exotics", that nails us.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It seem like that no matter what hobby your into anymore, it is being threatened by legislation. You would think that these lawmakers could find better laws to pass instead of ones that take away our rights and freedoms.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Still trying to get information

I called the local SPCA and they indicated that Newport News has never allowed the keeping of exotics and I should check with Codes and Compliance. I checked the codes on-line and couldn't find any information to effect the banning of exotics.
I will post later as I find out additional information.
Ralph

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also, just as an add-in, there are local petshops that sell tarantulas, snakes, and all kinds of animals.
Ralph

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was in hampton in may, and i went to about 4 pet shops, all had tarantulas and seemed to actually know about the animals, ct doesnt allow the keeping of any 'venomous' animals, no scorpions, tarantulas or centipedes, but you can buy a 25 foot reticulated python or an anaconda to swallow your kids for you :D

legislation like that is just made when the law makers dont have anything else to do, i mean instead of actually making laws to help the towns that is

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah that sucks, but if it goes through how can they really stop you owning them?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You might try your local newspaper. If they don't already know, they have the resources to find out!

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know any statistics on scorpion and spider bite cases each year and how they compare to dog bites in terms of frequency and severity? What about other exotic pet animals?

I don't have any statistics tyo back it up, but I would think that dog bites would lead hands down due to the prevalence of dogs as a pet.

Wes

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Humm this can help paint your self into a corner too, by giving out the full info in order too show the risks of for example here t's are low you still highlight that fact there is SOME risks which can be use as ammo against your own argument, it can turn into a nasty catch 22 i believe this maybe happening now in Italy any updates from board members here in Italy on how things are going there :?

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well the kid must have had his face close to the tarantula........... and the tarantula had to have been frightened enough to kick its hairs unless they were purposely rubbing its abdomen with their hands then rubbing their eyes or something. Just gotta remember not to rub you're eyes after holding one.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
poor kid, but it wasnt from being bitten

this is a real weird, bad situation for us, feel real bad for the kid

and i think pet shops are to be blamed for the hobbys demise if anything, not warning people about the possible dangers is a bad bad move on thier part

then when a person owns an animal, they should be knowledgable as well, but its kinda hard to determine whats gonna happen also