B. boehmei dying. I need assistance.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm in serious need of some assistance here.

I recently got a B. boehmei for my birthday. I was on vacation when buying her, therefore things were a little temporary in the beginning. Among other things she was placed on straight vermiculite, with no water. I know, not a good solution.

I went home from vacation yesterday (by car), and I had the terrarium in my lap as we drove. The day was very hot by Norwegian standards, we might have exceeded 95 degrees Fahrenheit inside the car. During the transport, there was no water dish in the terrarium, because nervousness causes climbing (it did indeed climb almost all the time), and a water dish could have ruptured the abdomen in a fall. The climbing makes me think it was healthy at that point. Right?

My house is air conditioned, it was therefore around 68 degrees Fahrenheit where I placed the spider after transportation. Was this temperature change brutal? Anyone have any similar experiences with temperature changes?

The spider is in pre-moult, abdomen is partially bald, but the bald spot is not black. Transportation during this stage might not be recommended, could the spider 'skip' the moult, and die as a result? Anyone have any similar or opposite experiences with this?

Today it is completely lethargic. I changed the substrate to peat/potting soil, and it barely moved when I captured it in a half cut bottle (like in the sticky). She did on the other hand flick setae like crazy. This is a good sign, right?
I am considering an ICU, this could all be dehydration.

What do you say, should I wait, let the spider be, and see what happens? Or should I place it in an ICU right away?

Please help me guys.

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry to hear that, i don't know what to say but try the icu right away.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds to be like dehydration. I would put a water dish in there and put her mouth in it and see if she will drink or not. If she doesn't drink in a reasonable amount of time I would probably put her in ICU. Good luck and I hope she survives.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
Sounds to be like dehydration. I would put a water dish in there and put her mouth in it and see if she will drink or not.
I did in fact do that, but she didn't drink. I will wait a little more then.

She just moved seven inches. I didn't see it, so I don't know if it happened slower than usual. Seems like it's not too late. I don't want to stress her now, that's why I'm waiting with the ICU.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
IMO, it really just sounds like it needs some piece and quiet. It also sounds like you need to keep the hydration factor important. Did you put any kind of water dish in there???

If it is flicking hairs, I would assume it is just irritated with you, and the movement. Just let it relax a few days. Make sure you put some type of water dish in there. I wouldn't worry about feeding it at least for a week or two. Let it get used to its new surroundings. I would also put it in an area that has a low noise level, and doesn't get disturbed much. As far as temp, I would stay between 70-80* Fahrenhiet.

I don't by any means think it is dying. And the bald spot that is still pink means it has a little while before it will molt. And don't worry about it skipping
a molt :) They can take care of themselves rather well!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarangela said:
IMO, it really just sounds like it needs some piece and quiet. It also sounds like you need to keep the hydration factor important. Did you put any kind of water dish in there???
Aren't you contradicting yourself here? :)

I'm hoping it was the move that caused this lethargy. Can they really be lethargic for 36 hours after moving?

And the flicking only happened when I was coaxing her physically.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear you're worried about your new B. Boehmi. We both know I am not competent enough to give you any advice, but I did want to say that I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that she'll recover quickly and will give you many happy years with her.

Please keep us posted.

---
Wendy
---

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Overmenneske said:
Aren't you contradicting yourself here? :)

I'm hoping it was the move that caused this lethargy. Can they really be lethargic for 36 hours after moving?

And the flicking only happened when I was coaxing her physically.
Contradicting myself? No, I don't think so, just giving you my opinion based on the information you posted. I rescued a B. smithi from a pet store that was in the middle of kids/adults tapping the cage, 10+ crickets at a time, and the infamous "jelly" water for it to drink. It had nasty substrate, and a bad bald spot.

I took this spider home, put it in new substrate, gave it a nice water dish,
a hide, and set it to the side in my spider room, and did NOT disturb it for about 2 weeks. I would look at it, but not touch, or open the lid to its cage.
And now, she is fine.

I guess they need some healing time from all the drama, and excess moving.
You have to remember, they wouldn't put up w/ that in the wild at all. If her
legs start to curl under, worry. But until then, just let her relax in a darkened
area, w/ plenty of water in her dish.

I am sure others will offer some great ideas. This is just what I would do if it were me. I am not by no means saying I am correct, and this is what should be done. This is just, an "opinion". I do wish you the best though.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for your concern all. :)

@Tarangela: Was your smithi lethargic when you brought her home? If so, for how long?
It has now been almost 36 hours of peace and quiet for my boehmei, seems like it should have recovered by now...

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Overmenneske said:
Thank you for your concern all. :)

@Tarangela: Was your smithi lethargic when you brought her home? If so, for how long?
It has now been almost 36 hours of peace and quiet for my boehmei, seems like it should have recovered by now...

She just sat there, and I could try to move her around w/ the brush, but it was like she was immune to it. I think she was tramatized w/ all the noise,
and people abuse she had went through :(

Give her a couple of days, but keep a good check on her. Always watch for the death curl.

This is all just my thoughts though....I am not trying to say that I am right!

I have had some T's to sit for days w/o moving. That is usually my rose hairs
and chaco golden knees. From what I hear, if a T is sitting still, and not climbing/roaming the cage, they are generally happy. Maybe some others will chime in here??

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Did you say she just molted? (Not sure if I understood!) If so, she SHOULD be lethargic... for up to a week even.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oh, sorry. In that case, I would say she is just stressed and and wants to be left alone for awhile. Carsickness perhaps? :eek:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have a B. boehmei that I have to POKE to see if its still alive!! Its a lump! Ive thought it was dead on many occations and had to actually start to turn it onto its back before it would move. Ive had it since it was .5 inches and now its pushing 3 inches. Maybe yours is a realative of mine :D My other two are hair flicking evil wee beasties. Running crazily around everytime I approach the tank. I think you have a mellow one maybe.

Good luck

Michelle

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OldHag said:
I think you have a mellow one maybe.
I should have mentioned this in my original post, I knew there were something I forgot. :)
The thing is that the spider was a skittish, hair flicking creature before the car trip. Other mellower spiders of mine have been pacing a lot after strenuous trips and substrate changes. Here it's the opposite, three hours has gone since it last moved.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, 24 hours has passed, and I'm glad to say the situation looks a lot brighter now.
After standing in one spot for several hours, the spider walked over to the water dish and drank for over a minute. After that, the level of activity has only increased, it even climbed a little (I see this as normal in a new terrarium). Surely it couldn't climb if life was departing.
Today it has moved a few times, seems like the situation is normalising.

Thank you ALL for your help and kind words. If it wasn't for Tarangela and MizM, I would have worried a whole lot more than necessary. :)

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm glad it seems to be doing well. I hope it settles in quickly for you. What a scare that must have been.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whew! What a relief that must be for you (+ me, too). So glad she's coming around.

Hope you have many, many happy years with your beautiful Boehmei. :)

---
Wendy
---

Last edited:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Overmenneske said:
Well, 24 hours has passed, and I'm glad to say the situation looks a lot brighter now.
After standing in one spot for several hours, the spider walked over to the water dish and drank for over a minute. After that, the level of activity has only increased, it even climbed a little (I see this as normal in a new terrarium). Surely it couldn't climb if life was departing.
Today it has moved a few times, seems like the situation is normalising.

Thank you ALL for your help and kind words. If it wasn't for Tarangela and MizM, I would have worried a whole lot more than necessary. :)
You are welcome! That is what this board is for, to come ask and get opinions when you get stumped on something! It sounds like she is going to be great! If she drank on her own, then she is for surely going to make it :)

Good luck! And thanks for the update! ;)