Got an email about a TV show today

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got this email today (I have left the phone numbers and names of the bottom of this email)

this is the 1st email

I work for a television production company called Two Hand Productions and we are making a live Saturday morning kids show for FIVE.

We are looking into the possibility of using a spider in one of our features this Saturday and I wondered if this was something you may be able to help us with. I would be really grateful if you could email me or give me a call asap to discuss.

I look forward to hearing from you

Many thanks

I then asked them what the show was about and they replyed this

Hi Graeme

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The show is this Saturday and we would need someone here for about 7.30am. The show goes out live on FIVE at 11am but we have rehearsals in the morning beforehand. It is called "No Girls Allowed!" and is a kids show full of fast cars, stunts, explosions and everything that boys love.

This particular item is part of a regular feature we do called presenter wars where the presenters go head to head facing some kind of challenge. This week we want to hook them up to a heart rate monitor and see which one can keep the lowest heart rate whilst a tarantula crawls over their face and body.

If you are interested it would be great to chat to you - my phone number is below so could you possibly give me a call tomorrow?

I hope to hear from you

Best wishes

Once I found out what they wanted the T's for I told them No.

I'm not loaning out my T's for the sake of sick entertainment and to stress my T's out. Plus they could get hairs in their eyes doing that.

If it had been educational them maybe I would have done it. :angry:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Good call G that show sounds like a crock of shi7 but if its on C5 what else were we too expect :rolleyes:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I would have done it... as long as they gave me 30 seconds or so to explain that Ts AREN'T what everyone thinks they are! A little bit of positive publicity goes a long way.

On "Fear Factor" they used goggles and nose plugs to protect the humans from urticating hairs.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Things like that really just give spiders more bad publicity.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good decision.

Offt: Graeme eh? Sounds a bit like 'gremlin'. Cool name though, actually thought it was female..hmm.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
MizM said:
I would have done it... as long as they gave me 30 seconds or so to explain that Ts AREN'T what everyone thinks they are! A little bit of positive publicity goes a long way.

On "Fear Factor" they used goggles and nose plugs to protect the humans from urticating hairs.
As long as they would actually *AIR* that 30 secs or so... saw a short clip of the rosey incident on Fear Factor BTW. Not good.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good job.
We were contacted by Fear Factor.
Turned them down flat.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hrmm...

also sounds a bit like some pervert trying to lure a hopefully young guy into calling him... :rolleyes: weird.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
your t probably would have gotten squished anyways. i occasionally get requests for mine for on-campus events. these are never a good idea!

kristin

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
zombieagogo said:
Good job.
We were contacted by Fear Factor.
Turned them down flat.
Who did end up helping Fear Factor and gave them all those G. rosea? I'm very curious................

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Who did end up helping Fear Factor and gave them all those G. rosea? I'm very curious................
I'd like to know that too. I heard about this but didnt get to see it. Where any of the G.Rosea hurt?

I agree with what you decided. I woudn't have let them put my T's on a kids face. Children are random and unpredictable, and T's can be the same way. I wouldn't want to support something like that.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
I'd like to know that too. I heard about this but didnt get to see it. Where any of the G.Rosea hurt?
Picture this..........

A cooler size tub, full of adult G. rosea (sexes unknown to add) literally dumped on people's heads like water from a height high enough to kill them. I am sure plenty died or were injured. Not to mention, they could have been mating going on, if they were all not one sex. It was horrible sight, trust me, be glad u didn't see it. It pissed me off beyond belief. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw the advert for the fear factor show, with them all over crowded in the tank, some of them fighting and obviously stressed. I didn't watch the show, I knew it would make me angry. I sort of wish i had now, would have given me some ammo to complain. But i don't suppose that would make any difference, if it had been a load of puppies being dropped from a great height i'm sure they would have been flooded with e mails and calls of complaint. People just don't care or don't realize how stressing or how dangerous it is to them. Rant over :mad:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About a year ago or so there was an episode of "Fear Factor" in which hundreds of different Corn Snake morphs were dumped into vats, and the contestents had a limited number of seconds to sort out the most snakes by color. They were literally picking up snakes and flinging them around like a spoiled child going through his toys, slamming them into walls, etc. The camera clearly showed several of the snakes with broken jaws and other injuries during and after the scene. This incident set off a huge uproar within the herp community, needless to say, but like has been said, the public at large doesn't care what happens to animals they perceive as "dangerous" and "icky" like snakes or spiders or Emperor scorpions. If it had been puppies or kittens or even mice, the outrage among the public would have been enormous.
While I appreciate my T's and my snakes for(among other things)the fact that they don't bark, caterwaul, screech, howl, meow, whine, or otherwise make noises, sometimes I wish that they could at least scream when they are in pain or stressed,so maybe the public would feel a little more sympathy for them. I'd bet that if a snake could cry out like a puppy while someone is chopping at it with a shovel, people would be much more reluctant to hurt them.

pitbulllady

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Thats the easy part with a animal thats cheap as W/C they just buy them trade from an importer :( in the same way as they would buy a vat full of mealworms.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Picture this..........

A cooler size tub, full of adult G. rosea (sexes unknown to add) literally dumped on people's heads like water from a height high enough to kill them. I am sure plenty died or were injured. Not to mention, they could have been mating going on, if they were all not one sex. It was horrible sight, trust me, be glad u didn't see it. It pissed me off beyond belief. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Thats a horrible thing to do to such a docile Tarantula. It makes me want to dump a vat full of H.Lividum on the person that did it. :mad:

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
While I appreciate my T's and my snakes for(among other things)the fact that they don't bark, caterwaul, screech, howl, meow, whine, or otherwise make noises, sometimes I wish that they could at least scream when they are in pain or stressed,so maybe the public would feel a little more sympathy for them. I'd bet that if a snake could cry out like a puppy while someone is chopping at it with a shovel, people would be much more reluctant to hurt them.

pitbulllady
I agree, I think if people realized the pain they were causing to these poor animals, then there would be less "abuse" to them.

I never watch Fear Factor, can't stand the show, ever since I saw one with the rats in a pit with someone, and the way they were handling the rats, and there was fighting, and no doubt deaths and injuries occurred from them. Now when someone in the house is watching it, I go and find something else to do (after I lecture the family member about them promoting cruelty for watching it ;P )

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I recently happened on a best of Fear Factor, so got to see the whole T thing. The Ts were already in the little vat they use, and they had goggles and nose plugs on the contestants, but some of the Ts WERE fighting with each other! I looked really hard and couldn't discern any males, but it WAS television after all.

The problem with today's society is that we are all desensitized to scary things, so they have to come up with weirder and more "terrifying" stunts to get people to watch. I'm afraid that our beloved Ts are weird and terrifying to most people... therefore, they will be used more often to SCARE them! :mad:

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MizM said:
The problem with today's society is that we are all desensitized to scary things, so they have to come up with weirder and more "terrifying" stunts to get people to watch. I'm afraid that our beloved Ts are weird and terrifying to most people... therefore, they will be used more often to SCARE them! :mad:

What's really scarey is the total lack of respect, concern, or empathy for the animals involved. The unfeeling, heartlessness that comes into play when the animals are used as props makes me wonder exactly how "human" these people are. As a society we're becoming desensitized to violence, crime, rudeness, ..... Let me shut up. I don't know where I left my soapbox.