indian bird eating spider?

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
i bought crickets today and i saw a new spider for sale. "indian bird eating spider" not one that i have ever heard of. here is what it looked like. base body color was a dark brown to black. a light tan not very visible striped pattern on the rump kinda like a p.regalis. it burrowed against the glass and the outside was very webbed. it cost 25.00 (i dont know if thats any help). and i guess it was about 2.5" to 3". any ideas on what it may be. i cant post a pic because its store policy not to allow flash photography.(they say it might disturb the animals) if its something good i might buy it. but i would have to answer to a higher authority...mom

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Sorry the pic isnt the best,but did it look anything like this?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ask the pet shop owner for the scientific name, if he doesn't know it, have him ask his supplier. I tell my pet shops that I won't buy it unless they can provide me with a scientific name... that discourages names like "brown deyhdrated bird spider in a deli cup"!!

I HAVE seen H. maculata sold as Indian Bird Eaters, Indian Ornamental Birdeaters and Indian Bird Spiders. Did it look like this?

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
not so much orange in the abdomen(sp?) but it was hard to see in the cage because of web. but thats a close match to what it looked like. what is that? the only species i know are from arachnopets.

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
MizM said:
Ask the pet shop owner for the scientific name, if he doesn't know it, have him ask his supplier. I tell my pet shops that I won't buy it unless they can provide me with a scientific name... that discourages names like "brown deyhdrated bird spider in a deli cup"!!

I HAVE seen H. maculata sold as Indian Bird Eaters, Indian Ornamental Birdeaters and Indian Bird Spiders. Did it look like this?
tescos is closer but it was more brown and the stripes where tanish without the bright coloring

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
i know this might be a pain trying to guess, but, think of it as a game. whoever come closest with a pic gets a prize.

but the prize wont be too great

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
If it is that one in the pic I posted then the name is Chilobrachys fimbratus this is found in India.
Off course the one in the pet shop could be anything!Like Mizm said it would be best to ask the pet shop owner as to if he knows the scientific name for it.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Garrick.B said:
:eek: thats a lot of spiders. :confused: now i have to search and i dont even know the name
Did you get the thumbnails? There should be small photos of each species that you can glance at.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
your best bet would be to ask the store what their return policy is. if they have one buy it take it home, snap a pic and if your not satisfied with what it is afterwards, take it back.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im figuring it might be Haplopelma sp.(Longipedum).Its often called a bird eater and is usually in that price range.Maybe take a look at a picture of that one Garrick.I cant see a pet shop here in Ohio selling Chilobrachys fimbratus.

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
I tell my pet shops that I won't buy it unless they can provide me with a scientific name... that discourages names like "brown deyhdrated bird spider in a deli cup"!!
You might miss a great deal on a "Giant fuzzy brown chilean killer bird eater" that way. ;)

Chris

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
protheus said:
You might miss a great deal on a "Giant fuzzy brown chilean killer bird eater" that way. ;)

Chris
seems like they think if it has a cool or scary name it will be a big hit.

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
i just want to send out a thankyou to everyone( Tescos, bluerich74, protheus,Paladin,Malhavoc's,MizM,) who took time to reply or help me identify this tarantula. i think i might buy it even if it is a little difficult to keep. but it would be better with me that the pet store. trust me ;)