Is my B. pallidum begging for food?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've noticed some interesting behavior with my Brachypelma pallidum. Whenever she's hungry, she plasters herself to the front of the cage and stays there. After I feed her, she retreats to the back until she's hungry. Then it's time to press her fangs to the plastic front. Honestly, I really think she's trying to get my attention.

Karen N.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Begging for food...

Do you have a heat lamp shining on the front of her cage? She may like the heat from it and position herself likewise.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a heating pad against the back of the cage where it's relatively dark. The cage front is exposed to the room lights and it's quite a bit cooler. The T should prefer the back of the cage.

Karen N.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my T. blondi was tapping onthe glass the other day...i fed him and he ate and retreated to the burrow, then 30 mins later he was doing it again, i fed him again and he has not done it since...course he had a mouse the other day too...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Isn't pallidum verdezi now? :?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
MizM said:
Isn't pallidum verdezi now? :?
pallidum is listed as moved to Aphonopelma but i dont think the spiders sold under that name were A.pallidum but in fact B.verdezi (Schmidt 2003) or some such mix up with pet trade names tho i could be wrong :?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
For my juvie Chaco's, I know they're hungry whenever they do the "wall stand" or start climbing the lids...

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ultimate Instar said:
I've noticed some interesting behavior with my Brachypelma pallidum. Whenever she's hungry, she plasters herself to the front of the cage and stays there. After I feed her, she retreats to the back until she's hungry. Then it's time to press her fangs to the plastic front. Honestly, I really think she's trying to get my attention.

Karen N.
YUP!
Exactly like my B.Smithi :)

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine are all on the same feeding scheduel, and most do the "feed me" dance if i come in in the evening. i don't know if it is related, but my scorps tap the cage walls with their chela when wanting to be fed, too. maybe it's a arachnid thing :?

kristin