Hi im new

Jason la Jason

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi ppl

im new to the forum and i just bought my first T 2 days ago, it's a Texas brown and i believe the scientific name is the Aphonopelma hentz, i have read over some post but doesn't seem like this is a popular T and i was just wondering if anyone own one of these or know some of their behavior and stuff, and for the past 2 days i own her, she hasn't ate any crickets yet and it's getting dark, i believe it might be prepare to molt or die, im a beginner and hope i don't have to handle it so soon =[

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards! Congrats on your 1st T. Sounds like a molt to me so i wouldn't worry just yet.

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
welcome !

hey ! welcome, i wouldn't worry about anything, not eating and getting dark just means its fixing to molt, after it molts give it a week to harden back up before you try to feed it, or it could still be weak and a cricket could possibly harm it.

jeff

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Welcome Jason!

It could also be that your T is not eating because he is still getting settled into his new home OR he's just plain not hungry:)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
welcome to the boards, hope you find this place as useful as i have. Great ppl on here and lots of very knowledgeable people...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I, too, have an Aphonopelma hentzi-nice little T, a bit skittish at times, but no worse than my Brachypelma boehmei. She is a ravenous eater right now, and has already eaten several crickets and even an earthworm, something most of my T's are terrified of, since I got her on Saturday as a birthday present. The only time she has hair-kicked or shown a threat posture was when I made the mistake of trying to handle her, not realizing that she still had a little bit of a food bolus in her fangs, and she obviously thought I was going to steal her dinner! She may not rival something like B. smithi or B. boehmei or Avic. versicolor in looks, but she has, shall we say, a simplistic charm all her own. I feel this species is really terribly underappreciated in the hobby in general.
As for your T's darkening, and not eating, that's a sure sign of impending moult. Seems to be the time of year for it, since most of mine have either just completed one recently or they are in the same pre-moult stage yours is in. I have two Rosehairs doing the same thing now, along with my Avic. metallica.
With regards to handling, be aware that some in the hobby choose never to handle their T's at all, so there is nothing wrong with it, while others, like myself, prefer a more "hands-on" approach. It took me awhile to get comfortable with doing so, however, since like many, I started out as an almost-arachnophobe, and accepted an offer of a free Rosehair(and a NASTY one at that)in order to get over what I felt was becoming a controlling fear. Now, I guess you could say I've replaced that fear with another emotional abnormality-a tarantula ADDICTION!

pitbulllady

HaloLight

Arachnopeon
welcome to the boards. dont be to concerned about your new T. i bought my first pink toe a week ago and almost went through a panic attack. if you get through the first week good, your on the right track.

Jason la Jason

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and here she is, my first T

and as you can see in the second picture that it's getting dark and the hair on the rear is completely gone, but no webs yet so i hope it's going through normal molting

Attachments

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All the hair on the abdomen is flicked off. Dont worry it's just going through a molt.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, welcome. :) I'm new to this board as well. Texas tans (Is that the same as T. brown?) are actually on my want list, I think they are lovely. Good luck to your little guy as he moults!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey welcome to the board!!!! very nicwe T you got there. :D