need info on some Ts

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i seen some tarantula slings for sale...but only the latin name and would like to know what type they'd be and if i should try to get them..
1. Oligoxystre auratum
2. orphaecus pillitus

anybody got some info...please
dianne

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't think i've ever heard of these. try doing a search on this site, or simply email the site you're looking to buy from and ask. good luck.

kristin

Matt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

Maybe with the correct spelling of the second genus you will find something:
Orphnaecus pellitus

Matt

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow those are pretty obscure, I cant find anything on them.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did a search and the best I could come up with is O. pellitus is from the Philippines and O. auratum is from Brazil. Hopefully someone with experience with these spp. can give you a little more info.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
They are at least 2 Orphaecus.sp in the trade in Europe (i think i know of a 3rd if they are that genus) as for Oligoxystre auratum possably over here too but iv never seen it for sale.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
They are at least 2 Orphaecus.sp in the trade in Europe (i think i know of a 3rd if they are that genus) as for Oligoxystre auratum possably over here too but iv never seen it for sale.
The few things I found on these species says neither has a common name. Is there a (unofficial) trade/common name floating around Europe? Anyone you know of who might have some pics? Now I'm interested. Gotta find out more. :)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Phaedrus said:
The few things I found on these species says neither has a common name. Is there a (unofficial) trade/common name floating around Europe? Anyone you know of who might have some pics? Now I'm interested. Gotta find out more. :)
The Orphnaecus.sp being sold in Europe by JPO is known as "Apon-Apon" in the Philippines no idea how its said it may mean "stamp on it" for all i know be a bit of an odd pet name ;P

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elusive slings...

I have never heard of those. Where did you see these slings? The most exhaustive species lists that I am aware of are at www.birdspiders.com
Let us know!
Greg :?

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i seen them on BOTAR's site under unknown comon name.... the first sold all but one in the first week. i'm kinda tempted (he said they came in a shipment from europe) . but i couldn't find info or pic's anywhere
dianne
or the temprament...don't want to get them thinking they act like a rosie or chaco gold knee ... and end up with something that will male the usumbara and cobald look like a lapdog...lol

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mouse said:
i seen them on BOTAR's site under unknown comon name.... the
Botar knows his stuff. You might ask him about them.

Chris

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
The Orphnaecus spiderlings recently imported into the US were represented as "Orphnaecus sp. from the Philippines". Myself and some other dealers listed them as Orphnaecus pellitus since it is the only published species of this genus and is also from the Philippines. My specimens are nondescript little spiderlings so I am not sure what they will eventually look like. I have adopted a common name as useless as any other :rolleyes: - "Philippine Brown". [It is interesting to hear that there is more than one "species" being referred to this genus in the European trade since the genus is monotypic].

As for the genus Oligoxystre, I have never had any of these and am not a New World tarantula fancier. There is a paper regarding the revision of the genus in downloadable PDF format available here.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
mouse said:
don't want to get them thinking they act like a rosie or chaco gold knee ... and end up with something that will male the usumbara and cobald look like a lapdog...lol
They are Asian tarantulas. There is little chance of them acting "like a rosie or chaco gold knee". :)

In general terms, lack of urticating hairs tends to equal a more "impressive" defensive reaction and consequent threat display.

spiderdan

Arachnopeon
Hi I have purchased a few of the orphnaecus pellitus spiderlings
from regal reptile they said it is called a philippine rust orang.
And also I cannot find too much about them including a pic of an adult or some good info.
swift has a little info no pic.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
New World, not Old world

The Oligoxistre auratum is a new world species according to an article I scanned in Portuguese and according to Botar. Mine shed enroute from Charles and is a hungry little bugger, kinda leggy, and pretty interesting overall. I can't imagine I'll be unhappy with how it turns out as an adult.

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Duke and zoo from tarantula hobbyist have just got those from botars. All i know about em is they arent classified yet and also one was v. agressive and the other so far was ok.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
versimomma said:
Duke and zoo from tarantula hobbyist have just got those from botars. All i know about em is they arent classified yet and also one was v. agressive and the other so far was ok.
Hi Mrs. J! :D
Well, like she said, we got ours from Botar the first of this month. The O. auratum is a fiesty little dude. It's about 1 inch now after it's molt and full of attitude! It does not hesitate to give threat displays. It is a very fast moving T with a very good appitite. It has not really burrowed but did build its self a little funnel web inside two shallow holes. It is a very interesting looking sling, wide carapace in comparison to its abdomen, but very fat little dude!

The O. pillitus, which is about 1/2 inch has made its self quite the extensive burrow, molted the day after it arrived, easts well, but stays hidden most of the time. It does not show as much attitude and aggression as the O. auratum. It too has a good appitite and rarely passes up a meal.

We keep them at temps of around 80 degress F. with a 70% humidity and they seem to be doing fine.

Hope that helps.