Housing my new P. murinus RCF sligs

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi!

I just ordered 3 OBT sligs (2cm) and they should arrive next friday or monday. These are my first slings ever, I'm so excited! I have built a containers for them which looks like this:

Those holes in the bigger box are about 3 mm in diameter. Are they too big for a 2 cm T? The diameter of the whole container is 15 cm.

I think Ts that size will eat small cricks and maybe some flies, am I right?

Is it enough to spray the tank with water twice a week?

Does a small slings of that size drink from the walls and substrate or do I need to make them a small water cups?

If you have some nice tips to share, I'd be more than happy to hear them :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My P murinus will eat crix nearly as big as the spider. I also keep mine on the dry side and lightly mist about every 10 days or so. Looks like your containers will have good ventilation which is good.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
In my experience, air holes should be smaller than the spider's carapace. It amazes me what small holes slings can escape through. Have fun with your new little ones!

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What are sligs they sound like a kind of slug lol {D

MANSON

Arachnopeon
hey cool man, or women? ill be gettin a p.murinus sling soon too. those containers seem kinda big for a sling but, im still a noob, so...someone correct me if im wrong... :confused:

sean

Last edited:

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah the the containers/holes seem kinda big to me too. You might want to keep them in deli cups or baby food jars, and move them into those when they get bigger(they grow fast as hell). Also it looks a little too wet in there, they like it pretty dry. Watch out P murinus are escape artists and fast as hell.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice enclosures! :) I can see you took care in making them roomy and look pretty for the new babies, I'm sure they'll love them. :p I'm no expert on slings squeezing through holes, but those do look kind of big to me, too. :( I'd hate to see your nice work on these discarded, maybe save these for when they are just a little bigger and get some new ones ready with smaller air holes, just to be safe?

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
If your spiderlings are within character for their species, expect those pretty little homes you have made them to become pretty little webs in a few months. Soon you wont see anything but web.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MANSON said:
hey cool man, or women? ill be gettin a p.murinus sling soon too. those containers seem kinda big for a sling but, im still a noob, so...someone correct me if im wrong... :confused:

sean
He's a guy. Thats what it says in his profile. ;)

Nice enclosures, but watch the holes. They will escape thru them if they arent a lot smaller than your slings.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yep, watch those holes! I have 18 Usambara slings in a large critter keeper. When I first put them in, I found out they COULD get out.... when I found one of them had made it's way into my A braunshauseni's container next door. Now they've grown large enough to not be able to fit through the holes, and my next question is how the hell I"m going to get 18 angry orange things out of there to rehouse :? {D
Perhaps I didn't think this idea through!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I got home from work today I had a pleasant surprise. My P murinus has molted!! I have been expecting it for a week. Now I can start power feeding it again in a few days.

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am getting a 3" female OBT this morning... I can't wait to see the little lady... but as is stated... only for a little while... then nothing but web and a ferocious attack at feeding time... but then... maybe mine will be docile... LOL...

BTW... I agree... holes are probably a bit to big... and the enclosure is WAY to big... let it hit 2" before you put it there... just get a deep delicup and load it with substrate...

My A. seemanni loves his...

Peace Out

Ken

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gir said:
You might want to keep them in deli cups or baby food jars, and move them into those when they get bigger(they grow fast as hell). Also it looks a little too wet in there, they like it pretty dry.

Hmm, could someone post me a pic of deli cup so I'd know what you mean? I'm not quite sure what you mean by baby food jar either but in finland baby food is sold in glass jars (diameter 6cm height about 9 cm) so is it possible to make adequate ventilation just by piercing the cap? If I put them in small glas jars should I put something to climb on or dug under or will they be just fine with the substrate?

The humidity is only at the surface. I was practising misting. Wasn't it so that slings in every sp. like it a bit humid?

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are some deli cups..I actually have some P. murinus slings in 2 of them. Just use a sewing needle and puch a bunch of holes at the top.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics :) I couldn't find those from anywhere so I bought three plastic jars. They are 7x7x7 cm roughly. I drilled 1,5 mm holes to them for ventilation and put a little tunnel in each. Made it with pen cap. So here's what it looks like:

Attachments