need help fast!

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
DHL left my package of tarantulas in the sun on my front doorstep :(

all six spiderlings are fine but the 4" Haplopelma sp. is pretty well dead. she is twitching one of her legs but that is it. anything i can do to help her??

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
About all you can do is get her in a nice moist ICU as quick as you can

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i contacted them and they told me to do the ICU thing. guess that's the one thing to do. they'll replace her if she dies which is cool. hopefully she'll pull through. she seems to be moving a touch more than she was.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Get her some water quickly!!! Ease her into some type of water dish and let her drink! She probably started to bake in there!

They may replace it, but don't let that stop you from trying hard to save her
:)

Good luck!

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope she pulls through for you. Did you change the temperature gradually or quickly when you brought her in? I am no expert on this, but have been told that a gradual temperature change is the best way to go. Keep us posted on her.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once in ICU put her somewhere dark and warm and leave her be for a while as she does not need the stress of you poking and looking in on her right now, I know your intentions are good but they are not doing her good, so leave her be. Greg

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We're all very concerned about your spider so please keep us posted. I've known them to pull through stuff just like this before so I'll keep good thoughts.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
word said:
yeah, i contacted them and they told me to do the ICU thing. guess that's the one thing to do. they'll replace her if she dies which is cool. hopefully she'll pull through. she seems to be moving a touch more than she was.
Hey Tyler.
Really sorry about that. Although we rarely have problems with DHL, there is bound to be a driver who missies the obvious. (what's PERISHABLE mean?)
Like I said, just park the minax close to a shallow water dish so it can rehydrate and hope for the best. Don't fidget with it too much, but keep a wary eye out.
Give me a call tomorrow and let me know how it's doing.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ASAP: Put her whole front end in a water dish so she can drink. She might not have enough strength to move herself TO the dish. Just leave her there and watch, she should back out when she's hydrated. Make sure her mouth is UNDER the water.

I had several overheated Ts that were in death curl... bad presentation location! I did this and they drank for approx. 3 minutes then walked away from the water. Almost miraculous!!

spot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MizM said:
ASAP: Put her whole front end in a water dish so she can drink. She might not have enough strength to move herself TO the dish. Just leave her there and watch, she should back out when she's hydrated. Make sure her mouth is UNDER the water.
just wondering....this is completely safe because only the front end is in the water, and as long as the booklungs stay dry, she is in no danger of drowning, right? this is a very interesting thread! hopefully I will never need to use this info, but you never know, especially in the summer.......

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey eric, unfortunately she has gone the way of the dinosaurs. they sat there for over three hours and the whole time there was someone home. i'm upset but i do a lot of this sort of thing and i understand more than most how these things can happen. the s'lings are all doing great. two have already fed. i have an out of town gig tomorrow around noon but if i'm back in time i'll try to give you a call before you are closed.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
spot said:
just wondering....this is completely safe because only the front end is in the water, and as long as the booklungs stay dry, she is in no danger of drowning, right? this is a very interesting thread! hopefully I will never need to use this info, but you never know, especially in the summer.......
Actually, the whole spider can be submerged without issue. The setae on the T's body traps a layer of air around it.

Sorry to hear about the death, that really sucks. I'm always paranoid of something like this happening whenever I ship or receive T's. I'm usually constantly logged onto the company's site checking the status. Then again I have no life..........

Last edited:

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the loss. We were all hoping for the best. It makes me nervous now because I'm getting two shipments today. It's sad when an animal a thing dies like that.