Cobalt Blue:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, all...

Well, I'm writing because I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me honest and factual advice on owning a cobalt-blue(H.lividum female).

I've wanted a cobalt-blue since as far back as I can recall, but based on the reputation of their defensiveness, It always felt like "ehhh no way will I ever be able to get one of those, they're just too mean, too difficult to care for, especially when considering the fact that I'm such an amateur".

Well, I'm definately still an amateur, I'm doing my best to get used to the skittishness, and the day-to-day changing attitudes of both of my spiders, my A.avicularia(SHELOB) and my G.rosea(DIVINE).

Well, being that my B-Day recently passed on august 3rd, I figured I'd get myself a couple more spiders since some cash came my way LOL...I'd love to get...G.aureostriata, B.auratum, B.mithi and or H.lividum(female).

Any advice on all the ups and downs, cleaning, caring for, feeding, rights and wrongs, do's and don'ts of owning a cobalt-blue would be tremendously appreciate...Thanks so much.

-Sincerely, Nervous In Michigan

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well they can be aggressive, but just as often they go into defensive posture and pretend to be a rock. I dont see how this poses any problem unless you try to handle them. The only drawback I see to owning this species is that THEY MUST burrow. At least 6 inches of potting soil/peat/ect is required for this spider to thrive. I have mine setup with a premade burrow against the glass so I can see her if shes shy. Some ppl with these spiders hardly ever see them, I see mine quite often...just depends on the individual. Deep substrate, a water dish, and a weekly light misting are all you need as far as humidity.

EDIT: There is a thread somewhere on this forum where Martin H. go through setup of a cobalt enclosure.

Last edited:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you follow the "how to unpack your bugs" thread on how to unpack your cobalt, you shouldn't have any problems with that. after put it in its enclosure you really shouldn't have to handle it at all.

i don't know what most people recommend for enclosures but a 5 gallon glass aquarium worked just fine for me. i'm sure a large kritter keeper would be fine too. i don't think especially deep enclosures are necessary as the spider will probably burrow lengthwise once it is done digging vertically.

a lot of people complain that you won't see it very often, but if you are a nightowl like me you will probably get to see it fairly often (based on my experience).

cleaning shouldn't be a big problem. the only problem i ran into was that i used potting soil for substrate and i tried to keep it very humid. i found that i am much more likely to have problems with mold when i use potting soil. so i would to use mostly (or entirely) peatmoss for substrate as i've found that is much less likely to grow mold. and as far as humidity, when i started growing mold i didn't worry so much about trying to keep it humid by misting at all. i know you are supposed to keep cobalts really humid but i didn't have any trouble with just a water dish.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Nervous In Michigan,

MrArachnid said:
Any advice on all the ups and downs, cleaning, caring for, feeding, rights and wrongs, do's and don'ts of owning a cobalt-blue would be tremendously appreciate...Thanks so much.
in this thread >>click me<< you'll find photos and infos on how I keep my Haplopelma species and other obligate burrowers and how to construct tanks for them in which you can see and observe them without digging them out.

all the best,
Martin

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cobalts Are deffensive Most of the time. The only time I have seen them willing to be nice is after a molt or after their on er hand ;)

I second the have to be burrowers and if you want to see it I believe your going to have to spend some time late up at night.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MrArachnid said:
Hello, all...

Well, I'm writing because I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me honest and factual advice on owning a cobalt-blue(H.lividum female).

I've wanted a cobalt-blue since as far back as I can recall, but based on the reputation of their defensiveness, It always felt like "ehhh no way will I ever be able to get one of those, they're just too mean, too difficult to care for, especially when considering the fact that I'm such an amateur".
I don't think Cobalt Blue is difficult to care for. Keeping other Haplopelma species like schmidti is more challenging. Cobalt Blue is quite adaptable in comparison to H. schmidti. Without a deep substrate (e.g. only with 2-inch-deep potting soil), Cobalt Blue tarantulas will most likely use the existing substrate to build a long vertical tunnel measuring up to 5-6 inches long unless you get a very old one that doesn't web. I've never seen a single H. schmidti (including young ones) doing this but almost all my Cobalt Blue Ts did this.

Well, being that my B-Day recently passed on august 3rd, I figured I'd get myself a couple more spiders since some cash came my way LOL...I'd love to get...G.aureostriata, B.auratum, B.mithi and or H.lividum(female).
If you come across a B. auratum, don't miss it! It is rarely available and IMO it is one of the most beautiful T!

Don't worry. It requires minimal management since you can hardly see it at all!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
what is more difficult about h. shmidti?
Many of them, particularly wild caught adults just don't adapt to captivity, no matter what conditions they are given. They produce much less silk than lividum and minax and are less active burrowers. If they don't burrow or settle they seem to degrade over time before eventually dying through dehydration or from a poor moult. My advice is to buy captive bred spiderlings or obtain a few large WC females and breed your own.

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never had any problems keeping lividum (granted I've never tried to fish one out of its burrow yet.. heh). Martin's got a great thread kicking around on housing obligate burrowers like Haplopelmas; I highly recommend checking it out. My lividums spend maybe 30% of their time sitting at the entrance to their burrows (the aureopilosums, on the other hand seem to be much more likely to be at the entrance and visible, and less likely to seal off the entrances) Usually the moment you touch or tap their enclosures they whoosh back into their burrows in the blink of an eye. I myself have yet to see anything I'd describe as "defensive" from any of them.