Poisonous Pokies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep reading through the archives here and I noticed something being mentioned from time to time in passing, and that's that people seem to think that Poecilotheria ornata and other species have more potent venom than most Ts -- just curious to know more about this? Nothing I've come across has really answered my questions, so here I post. ;)

I realize that all Ts have venom... and allergic reactions could occur... and so on, but is their venom believed to be, as they say, medically significant? Or are they just so grouch... err, defensive, that people tend to get bit more therefore label them more venomous? Eh? Does this make sense? :?

And not just Poecilotheria ornata but all the pokies. :p

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I've their venom is more potent, But I don't have experience getting biten. Try checking the bite reports for more info

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Supposed to be more potent, but there may be some contention as to whether it's really that "medically significant."

Chris

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their reputation comes from many anecdotal reports of people experiencing rather severe syptoms rusulting from bites, but AFAIK this has not been studied in a lab, so there's no scientific data supporting these "potency" claims. Many of these anecdotal reports come from individuals I consider to be reputable, so personally I do my best to avoid being bitten!

Wade

Tiny315

Arachnopeon
8leggedrobot said:
I realize that all Ts have venom... and allergic reactions could occur... and so on, but is their venom believed to be, as they say, medically significant? Or are they just so grouch... err, defensive, that people tend to get bit more therefore label them more venomous? Eh? Does this make sense? :?
Basically just have to go by what bite reports are out there, but as for being aggressive or defensive or ever how you want to put it, that is a farce they to me are pretty much just like all arboreal's, fast and very shy and maybe get tagged with this reputation of being defensive because of the potencies of there bite? Greg

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokies Venom...

I have noticed dealers and publications conveying that Pokies have "medically significant" venom too. Systemic reactions such as swelling,joint pain,vomiting,headache and numbness of affected area.There is one way to find out but I would rather not embark on such a endeavor. LOL
Greg

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have talked to pokie "victims" and yes their bite is what it is cracked up to be. The ER can't do anything for you except give you pain killers and hope you have enough for 2 or 3 days. Then you might also expect to have residual side effects after the major pain is gone of arthritic pain and stiffness in the affected joints for a long time. This falls in line with severe rattlesnake bites that after the initial envenomation is treated and over with there is a long term (year +) of arthritic pain that comes on with cold, movement, etc. In short, avoid the bite.

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

I know someone who lost a large female Regalis in her room and she cought it with an aquarium fish net..Well the Pokie bit the net and shot venom...well the fishnet started to melt the venom burnt holes in it..no joke I saw the net myself.Imagine that venom in your body..gotta hurt. I hear that it causes severe muscle cramps which could last on and off for upto 1-year. Be careful with them.
Mick

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mick said:
I know someone who lost a large female Regalis in her room and she cought it with an aquarium fish net..Well the Pokie bit the net and shot venom...well the fishnet started to melt the venom burnt holes in it..no joke I saw the net myself.Imagine that venom in your body..gotta hurt. I hear that it causes severe muscle cramps which could last on and off for upto 1-year. Be careful with them.
I would find it pretty hard to believe that spider venom could melt nylon. :)

That the fangs ripped holes in the net, I would buy.

Chris

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mick said:
Hi,

Mick
Are you sure? Tarantula venom isn't acidic...

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
protheus said:
I would find it pretty hard to believe that spider venom could melt nylon. :)

That the fangs ripped holes in the net, I would buy.

Chris
If it can "melt" a cricket, why not a fishnet? Tarantulas digest their food before they eat it, how do you think they accomplish that?

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jesses said:
If it can "melt" a cricket, why not a fishnet? Tarantulas digest their food before they eat it, how do you think they accomplish that?

I don't think they actually "melt" the cricket. The exoskeleton, which is composed of a material very similar to human fingernails, is always left over, in a reduced form. I believe the soft and liquid components of the cricket are actually broken down by a series of enzymes found in the spider's venom. I don't think any real melting occurs. Much less, I don't think the enzymes would have much of a short term effect on an inorganic material such as nylon.

Just my $.02

Tim

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TRowe said:
I don't think they actually "melt" the cricket. The exoskeleton, which is composed of a material very similar to human fingernails, is always left over, in a reduced form. I believe the soft and liquid components of the cricket are actually broken down by a series of enzymes found in the spider's venom. I don't think any real melting occurs. Much less, I don't think the enzymes would have much of a short term effect on an inorganic material such as nylon.

Just my $.02

Tim
Right, if pokies could split corrosive liquid being more powerful than that split by the Aliens no one could keep them securely with plastic tanks. And they would be of great values to miltary sciences and environmental sciences (to degrade plastic and the like).

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SWEET JESUS!!!!! :eek: May my forceps never be too short, my turkey baster be ever at the ready to water, 800mg Ibuprofen and Vicoden always within reach for the pokies that I am planning to aquire in the future. The same goes for the Psalmopeus sp (4 of them) that I am getting. I gotta go change my shorts. :eek:

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everybody, I had indeed decided not to buy anything with what is considered medically significant venom, or 'hot', and I'm rather ticked that a lot of the websites (even reputable ones) aren't mentioning this. Granted, I'M doing research before I buy, but many people will trust a trusted dealer to inform them if there's such a risk. A year or more of continued pain after a bite is rather worth mentioning IMHO. :rolleyes: I was very glad to see golden phoenix mentioned it... and my what a report it was. :( Poor man.

It's important to make sure that people don't get a hot species until they are certain they know how to control attempts at a Ts escapes, bites, etcs. I've bought one particularly defensive g. rosea and if it wasn't for owning a T for several years, she might already be running about the house right now. :} It does take time to learn how to move them properly without incident.

Ok these were just my opinions, I'm not trying to make a new law or anything. I ask though if anyone knows of a beginner going for pokies immediately, direct them to that post at goldenphoenix. One thing that struck me was where he mentioned this:

"A person who became comatose from a Poecilitheria bite? I am now a believer. I am fairly convinced this morning that the only thing between myself and something similar was the distance between my elbow and my neck."

True, most bites from a T would be on the hand, but some 16 year old gets bit on the neck because he has to hold it on his shoulder... and you might wind up seeing pokies only obtainable under the table. :( So just tell people about this up front so nobody gets hurt or in trouble.

All that said... I have to agree they are beautiful and I'm still interested, but it will have to wait until I'm out of the place I currently live at before anything that hot will be living with me. ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Are you sure? Tarantula venom isn't acidic...
Are you sure T venom isn't acidic???? The initial sharp pain felt when bitten by many mygales (aside from the physical injury) is due to the acid content of the venom. Hexathelid venom for example is extremely high in acid content (and in this mygale it has been extensively studied).

I would say depending on the make of the netting used, it could be possible.......

Steve

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hjlantern said:
SWEET JESUS!!!!! :eek: May my forceps never be too short, my turkey baster be ever at the ready to water, 800mg Ibuprofen and Vicoden always within reach for the pokies that I am planning to aquire in the future. The same goes for the Psalmopeus sp (4 of them) that I am getting. I gotta go change my shorts. :eek:
You know, cars are dangerous too

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, but everyone knows the extent of how dangerous a car can be. ;) And now, they know about the pokies if they didn't before. And the KNOWING... is half the battle. :p Hehe.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
Yes, but everyone knows the extent of how dangerous a car can be. ;) And now, they know about the pokies if they didn't before. And the KNOWING... is half the battle. :p Hehe.
I just think it's interesting that you would avoid a nice tarantula because it has the potential to do harm, even though the odds of it happening are so infinitesimal. Every day I open the newspaper and read about 5 or 10 people that were killed in car accidents just in my city alone, so would you decide never to drive a car? Are you mad at car salesman for not explaining all of the myraid ways that a car can kill you, hell you could get run over, get your arm caught in a door, the airbag could deploy and take your head off, sounds a lot scarier than a Tarantula actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.