my T's love my husband... or is he boring them to sleep?

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my husband is always pulling my tarantulas out of their cages..and they crawl all over him. he lays down on the couch, and as soon as they get to the middle of his chest they rosehair will stop and stay for houres.
the a.avic will go to hi wrist...and sit. he had my A.avic on his chest the other day, cupped his hand over it... and said "this is redicilous, it's going to sleep" all you seen was 2-3 legs stick up and out of his hand...
needless to say, my bearded dragons do the same thing...go to the chest - and fall asleep.
he wants a tarantula that's a challenge... but knowing my luck he'd pick it up and it falls asleep.
he also dropped a small piece of apple into my rosehairs cage for the cricket when i was gone for a week. told me rosie was sitting there eating the apple till it was gone..... do rosies ( or any T) eat apples or was it just the liquid she wanted...or was she waiting there for the crickets to show up so she could eat them?
thanks
dianne

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
mouse said:
my husband is always pulling my tarantulas out of their cages..and they crawl all over him. he lays down on the couch, and as soon as they get to the middle of his chest they rosehair will stop and stay for houres.
the a.avic will go to hi wrist...and sit. he had my A.avic on his chest the other day, cupped his hand over it... and said "this is redicilous, it's going to sleep" all you seen was 2-3 legs stick up and out of his hand...
needless to say, my bearded dragons do the same thing...go to the chest - and fall asleep.
he wants a tarantula that's a challenge... but knowing my luck he'd pick it up and it falls asleep.
he also dropped a small piece of apple into my rosehairs cage for the cricket when i was gone for a week. told me rosie was sitting there eating the apple till it was gone..... do rosies ( or any T) eat apples or was it just the liquid she wanted...or was she waiting there for the crickets to show up so she could eat them?
thanks
dianne
That is very cool! Does he have a hairy chest? Maybe that is the thing, they
feel like they are in the rain forest, hidden or something {D

Still though, impressive. I would be too afraid to get that brave! My hubby
really doesn't care to hold any of mine, but I bet he would like it!

Cool about the Avic though, they are usually so flighty!

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T's do not eat vegitable matter. Most likly it was drinking the water from it.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps it crawls on his chest because it is warmer than the ambient temp

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarangela said:
That is very cool! Does he have a hairy chest? Maybe that is the thing, they
feel like they are in the rain forest, hidden or something {D

My hubby
really doesn't care to hold any of mine, but I bet he would like it!
Dianne,
I love how you described it! I can't wait to find out now whether your husband has a hairy chest or not. If he does, perhaps I should stop shaving my arm pits and try this experiment as well. Lay on the couch with my arms up and see what happens. {D {D

@ Tarangela: My husband doesn't even look at my Ts, forget the handling part. But come to think of it, he has very hairy legs. Maybe I should place one of my Ts on his leg and see what happens. :D

---
Wendy
---

Angelique Reed

Arachnopeon
My chilean rose does the same thing...She'll station herself on top of my navel & stay there for hours. As to why she does this, I am not certain. But I doubt the hairy chest theory because I surely do not have any visible hair on my abdomen! :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Given how sensitive the Ts are to vibration, smell etc., it wouldn't surprise me that they know that your husband isn't afraid of them. There's a good chance that they are responding to his heartbeat, skin temperature and respiration. Plus if he handles them frequently, they may be used to him and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some ability to recognize him. There's a lot of stories about Ts behaving in odd ways in captivity.

Karen N.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Dianne,
I love how you described it! I can't wait to find out now whether your husband has a hairy chest or not. If he does, perhaps I should stop shaving my arm pits and try this experiment as well. Lay on the couch with my arms up and see what happens. {D {D
Wendy
---
LMAO!! {D Just don't post pictures from this expairement, eh? :eek:

:D

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
perhaps I should stop shaving my arm pits and try this experiment as well. Lay on the couch with my arms up and see what happens. {D {D

---
Wendy
---
Are you trying to get the T's to start crawling on you or are you trying to get your husband to stop crawling on you? {D

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
LMAO!! {D Just don't post pictures from this expairement, eh? :eek:

:D
But of course I'll share pics....it'll be cute. :D NOT. {D

---
Wendy
---

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Raindog said:
Are you trying to get the T's to start crawling on you or are you trying to get your husband to stop crawling on you? {D

Both. ;)

---
Wendy
---

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We wouldn't be able to tell what was the T and what was Wendy's........ experiment. :p

::ducks:: :D

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
We wouldn't be able to tell what was the T and what was Wendy's........ experiment. :p

Ha! That's good funny stuff!

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it shouldn't be because of chest hair...he usually has his t-shirt on ;)
and it doesn't matter if he just got home from work ( he is a cook), or if he just took a bath. whenever he picks them up and he tries putting them on me...they turn right around and go back to him.
he thinks they don't like me :8o . well i want tarantulas as pets to look at...not to play with ;P .
rosie even paces her tank after he puts her back in and "plays" with the avic.
so he got to put "bobby"(for bobby-socks) back up and get rosie back
out ;P :D serves him right...spoil my tarantula wont he!!
i got him a 1/4" L.parahybana because he wanted a BIG T.
you should have seen his face and reaction {D ;P :eek: (he wanted a T.blondi) told him the L.parahybana will be just about the same size .. and it will grow :eek: :D
dianne
gonna have to get him an OBT.. so he can turn it into a lapdog ..ahh laptarantula

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:

:eek: OMG, you are SO right. I never even thought of that. Well, unless I get a really colorful T in the meantime, like, let's say a Cobalt Blue? :D

Well, guess the experiment isn't gonna happen anyways since Dianne confirmed it couldn't be the chest hair.

Pity...I was SO looking forward to it. {D

---
Wendy
---

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wendy
he also let's the T walk on his head... :? ;P :D

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd love to see a photo of anyone casually handling a cobalt, the other kids bite me enough or I would give it a try.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
raindog...he wants a cobalt, a t.blondi and an usambara....
dianne

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do the same with my G. rosea... I used to work the late shift... and when I would come home I would pick up Isis and go watch late night movies for a few hrs... I am usually doing this in my Housecoat... I had her sitting on the Housecoat and she was quite happy... I fell asleep... 3 hrs later I wake up and she was gone... a frantic search found her sitting on the pillow behind me...

Next time I did it... she actually crawled inside the Housecoat and settled right on my sternum... fell asleep... and she was still there when I woke up... I used to do that every night... till she molted... 2 weeks later... I decided she was good enough to re-adjust... so fed her a 4 day old rat... and next night when I came home (she finished the rat) so I brought her out for movies again... same routine... Wake up... she is where she always sits... but I notice an itching... but nothing new... didn't think about it... next night the same... wake up... and the itching is starting to burn... next morning... I was RED... inflammed... and blistering... found out how badly I react to the Hair... needless to say I use latex gloves when handling NW species... OW species I use special gloves that are resistant to piercing... no worries about bites...

great... I digressed... LOLOL... before this becomes a novel...

Basically I think it is the heat and hiding and a certain "Comfort" level with us...

Peace Out

Ken