Usumbra Wrangler

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just had quite the experience a few minutes ago. My P murinus sling has molted and outgrown the vial it was in. I decided to move it in the new container and that is where the fun began. I used a pencil to coax it out but it ran up the pencil, across my hand,up my arm and into my shirt. I very carefully took my shirt off and finally found it again. After a few more minutes of strife, I finally got the little devil in the container. How many of you guys and gals have had "runaways" when working with your Ts?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I brought my C.huahini sling home and tried to coax him into his new container, he run up my arm and jumped off. It took 3 of us 45min to find him. He was under the covers in my bed, which we had shaken twice already while looking for him.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I used a pencil to coax it out but it ran up the pencil, across my hand,up my arm and into my shirt.
And that is why I have none of those.

You should check out this thread by the way.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Overmenneske said:
And that is why I have none of those.

You should check out this thread by the way.
Overmenneske, I looked at that thread. Whew! glad I didn't have to cut my shirt off {D

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when i first bought my usambra, i try to put her in a new enclosure form the tiny dixie cup she was in, she ran so fast jump off the table and hid between the crack of the door and sliding screen door, good thing she didnt ran further outside the deck and off to my garden for she would have been long gone. fortunately i cought her i used an empty cup, the bad thing is, she lost 2 legs in the process, :(
about 2 weeks after that she molted and got her 2 legs back, :) i still cant figure out how they do it. :? like where do they hide their extra leg during pre-molt. hmmmmm.

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah Ive had my murinus slings get out ALOT. What I learned to do was I have a big 90g fishtank with nothing in it...whenever I need to move a T I place their enclosure inside the tank. That way if they get out they are still inside the 90g tank.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gir said:
Yeah Ive had my murinus slings get out ALOT. What I learned to do was I have a big 90g fishtank with nothing in it...whenever I need to move a T I place their enclosure inside the tank. That way if they get out they are still inside the 90g tank.
good idea, I have an empty 45g that I could use for that purpose

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Gir said:
I use something similar for any I am worried about - the bathtub. Also put towels under the door to plug that up just in case. Has only recently occurred to me that I'd better plug up the spa jet holes in the tub if moving slings in there. Duh.

Worst runner I've had was an A. versicolor sling. Little beastie ran all over my spidey room table, which has a lot of junk on it. Led me on quite a merry chase around and over and under and through. Caught it just before it went under the bookcase on top of the table. I'm more careful with A. versi now. <G> I move my P. murinus Usambara in the bathtub, but it's never done anything other than walk nicely where I want it to go when a leg is touched. (Please, no one give this spider the OBT Behavioral Manual.)

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes the very same thing has happened to me :p. Quite the experience! :)

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
let's see...
when i brought my 2 1/2 " A.avic home and tried transfering it from deli cup to kritter keeper.. it jumped out and ran across the couch (i tried stopping it with the delicup lid, but was afreight i'd accidently sqash it on the couch), it ended up jumping into the plastic shopping bag that was right next to the couch... ;P .hubby had to get it from there and put it into the kritter keeper :8o .
and when i got my slings from swift i managed to transfer all but the trinidat chevron by my :D self
the trinidat chevron decided to run up the vial it came in and jump at me... so i droped the vial and the sling into the mason-jar-pepper-shaker and put the lid on :8o . then i checked i checked how many more gray hairs i gotten.
told my hubby to get the vial back for me :D
he did... and the bug ran up his arm and ALL over him ;P
twice ;P ...since he tried checking him out a few days later again we had a repeat ;P
dianne
ps. i'm going to get him an usambara :D
he wants a t that does more than fall asleep on him :p

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
When I bought my 4 A. purpurea slings, they came in the same deli cup. Took quite some time for me to coax all 4 of them into a communal setup. 1 of them went basking on 1 of the fake leaves inside, so that' all good... but just before I closed the lid, the other 3 all came to the top and I couldn't risk snapping their legs (yeah I learnt, bad container choice).

By the time I managed to shoo 1 back down, the remaining 2 already jumped down onto the desk. I cupped one with my left hand while I reached my right hand for some jar lid to capture the other. When I put the lid on top of the right hand side escapee, the left hand one already made its way through my fingers up onto my wrist. As my right hand closed in attempting to prevent further venture, the little left flanker teleported up my left shoulder (back side, luckily not my armpit {D)! Luckily I saw my reflection on the window directly in front of me, and I reached for a paintbrush and tried to make it walk on top of it. Fortunately with a few more laps on my back between my left and right shoulders, it ran onto the paintbrush without trying to hide in my hair.

Then it took me another 10-15 minutes (which seemed like half an hour) to finally snap the lid. My shirt was soaked in sweat. Good fun though! :)

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. murinus gets out it is a hell of alot faster then anything else, theyre pretty much lost.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You got that right Gir. They are as fast as greased lightning :D