Versicolor just molted

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for the crappy pics. I keep telling myself I am going to get a better camera but I end up spending the money on Ts....... go figure :?

Such pretty spiders....... :cool: I could have hundreds they are so nice. Even my wife had to admit how pretty he is.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, I think it's leg span is just over an inch.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really don't know the answer to that, sorry. I have only been in the hobby for about 2 months now :confused:

I would imagine you could like other avics but I would be afraid to loose such beautiful spiders to each other. So in other words I wouldn't try but would like to know if anyone has.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is so beautiful!! :} If only they stayed that color as adults. :(

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sam Shirley said:
It is so beautiful!! :} If only they stayed that color as adults. :(
That's why you get them to make more!! :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have a beautiful versi there Gene. Is this its first molt since you've had it?

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brian S said:
You have a beautiful versi there Gene. Is this its first molt since you've had it?
Thanks.
Yes first molt in my care, I got it from Swift's the first of July.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's kewl!! I ordered 3 slings from Swifts about the same time.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
can you keep these guys cummunal.
The standard answer is: you could with the risk of losing some. But avics are generally more tolerant especially with family members.

I've tried it with my 4 A. purpurea slings, they came in the same deli cup and were said to be siblings. Took some time for me to transfer all of them into a communal setup. One of them constantly got bullied and had to take refuge in another corner. The other 3 seemed more friendly with one another and would cuddle/web together in the opposite corner. And then it came to a point when 1 or 2 of them started to be very defensive when there's food in their fangs. They would chase their siblings away when they come into proximity. Threat posture etc. Then I decided it was about time (1 and a half month since they lived together) to separate them into individual smaller vials.

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mine molted lastnight! she's sooo pretty now. she was in her ugly teenager colour (between sling blue and adult reds and purples) and then she molted to bright red with blue-ish legs!! absolutely beautiful now, but oddly not hungry.

emilsmee

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
The standard answer is: you could with the risk of losing some. But avics are generally more tolerant especially with family members.

I've tried it with my 4 A. purpurea slings, they came in the same deli cup and were said to be siblings. Took some time for me to transfer all of them into a communal setup. One of them constantly got bullied and had to take refuge in another corner. The other 3 seemed more friendly with one another and would cuddle/web together in the opposite corner. And then it came to a point when 1 or 2 of them started to be very defensive when there's food in their fangs. They would chase their siblings away when they come into proximity. Threat posture etc. Then I decided it was about time (1 and a half month since they lived together) to separate them into individual smaller vials.
do you know if the one that took refuge in another corner was a male or not.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
emilsmee said:
mine molted lastnight! she's sooo pretty now. she was in her ugly teenager colour (between sling blue and adult reds and purples) and then she molted to bright red with blue-ish legs!! absolutely beautiful now, but oddly not hungry.

emilsmee

Phaedrus said:
Give her a few days to a week to harden up and then try to feed her.
Yep. When they moult they also shed the lining of the esophagus and of the pumping stomach, so they have to wait 'til this is sufficiently restored to eat again. W/my versi slings it's usually 3-4 days, but some people have noted theirs take up to a week.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gene said:
Sorry for the crappy pics. I keep telling myself I am going to get a better camera but I end up spending the money on Ts....... go figure :?
I say that's a pretty good use of funds! :)

Gene said:
Such pretty spiders....... :cool: I could have hundreds they are so nice. Even my wife had to admit how pretty he is.
Yup, after a moult they're so gorgeous they're GORGASS! (pronouce the 2nd 'G' as a hard G like the first one) ;)