Problem with my G. Rosea...

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rosehair has developed a mold or fungus on her fangs, it's recently spread to her carapace near her eyes. it's been like this for a couple weeks and just seems to be getting worse and worse. i was told it'd go away when she molted, but i don't know if she'll last that long. she seems more mellow but also more prone to bad moods all of a sudden (i don't blame her it's probubly really irritating). n e way, she's being kept on dry peat moss, there is no mold in her enclosure, and she loves to eat butterworms, which is what i think caused it. i've stopped feeding butterworms to all of my t's after this happened, though it's never happened before this. i'm at a loss...
has n e one ever had this happen before? what should i do?
my poor girl...

thanks ahead of time,
emilsmee

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awww sorry to hear... i dont really know anything on this but do you have any pics???

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have absolutely NO idea what caused this or how to treat it.
The only thing i CAN think of and may not be reccomended by anyone would be to "brush" her teeth. using a soft toothbrush and some water you may be able to lightly remove the mold. this would most likely anger the T, but perhaps several attempts may lead to sucess. a little bit then relax on it for a few hours and then try again...i know this sounds out ther but i am inexpirenced with this and cant think of anything else.

-Perhaps someone else will chime in here?

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'll do that if one of the guru's thinks it'd be a good idea, i just don't wanna stress her out anymore than she already is.
i have no pics (seeing as i have no camera), but maybe when Dragoon comes over again i'll ask her to bring her camera. she was really stumped as well...

emilsmee

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quarantine your T and read the threads on nematodes. If your T has nematodes, this is very serious and your other Ts (or other arthropods) could get infected if you use the same tools (like forceps, tweezers, etc.) I hope this isn't nematodes but it sounds very suspicious.

Karen N.

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm, it says when they're touched they stuggle and try to right themselves. the further i read, the more it said that you can't touch them or they have a fit. i don't think she's appreciate being flipped and molested with a Q-Tip... if worse comes to worse i will do it i guess... can't get any worse right?? is there any solution i can use that won't do adverse things to her? like eye contact solution or watered down alcohol?

emilsmee

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aww sh*t! i bet it is nemotodes... she's WC, and it sounds exactly like what i've read on the forum. grr... it better not spread, i've just spent over $1000 on 24 t's and t slings in the last 3 weeks. it's not as much the money that bothers me though, i don't want to lose all my t's!!! *CRIES*
*runs to quarantine infected tarantula*
what do i do with her once she's quarantined and cleaned out??? help!!

emilsmee

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the way you descibe it, it doesn't sound like nemotodes. Is she still eating, nemos lock up the chelicera so they can't eat. How closley have you looked at this "mold", it might be a bad mite infection. Or it might just be mold. I would suggest getting as close a look as you can with a good lens. If it looks like really small white worms (larvae), then you have nemos. Or you could take a swab, with a q-tip, of the "mold" and look at it under a microscope. If it is eating take the water dish away for a couple of weeks and keep it dry. It can get its moisture from its food. It might clear up. Good luck!

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she's never been a good eater, but i only got her about two ago, this started about a month after i got her. in fact she never eats in front of me unless its a butterworm. (maybe one or two crix as well, but not a significant amount) and yeah it does look like a mold, it's kinda fuzzy. i quarantined her, threw out her enclosure which was a shoebox rubbermaid with holes drilled, peat moss, and water dish and grabbed another empty one (i have a bunch ready for use). i just put papertowel down and a 'cut to a hide space' toilet paper roll in until i find out whats wrong for sure. thanks for the help everyone, i'm really worried about her.

btw, i saw little bugs in her enclosure in the dirt, i haven't seen them before. is that a sign of nemotodes? they're not mite-like, they were a little longer, kinda like really small fruit flies.

emilsmee

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fruit flies have been known to spread nematodes. I feel for you. :( I hope it isn't nematodes.

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If worse comes to worse and you NEED to clean her off thoroughly, put her in the fridge for like 10-15 min. That should significantly slow her down, but only do it if you absolutely need to as its not good for them obviously. Good luck hope its not the worms.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So sorry. :( I hope she will be ok! :eek: I just got a new G. Rosea and she has a little bit of a scabby looking place on her booty, she seems very lively and is eating well though, no clue if she was WC or CB.

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GRR!! i just checked all the t's enclosures thoroughly, and saw little white things crawling everywhere. and my nhandu has short white wormy things on her. the one with the most is the WC cobalt, and my tiger rump.
i know i can't spray them like mites, should i clean out the enclosures thoroughly and put papertowel back in? how do i get them off the t's (short of having to manually clean them all off). i've read the nemotode posts but there's nothing really there to say HOW to get rid of them or anything else.
what about the rest of the house? are these of any concern to me, my cats, or my reptiles? i've seen one crawling on me (ick!), and now i feel like they're crawling all over me...
HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE!?!?

hmm... found out they may be just the small white mites, which is much better than nemotodes. still gonna be a pain in the @$$, BUT still better than the previous parasite...

emilsmee

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to here about this. Unfortunately if it's nematodes about the only thing you can do is quarantine infected individuals. By the time you see any evidence of the buggers it may be too late. There has been some stuff written about using Cypro to do away with nematodes but I'm not sure if it is a proven treatment. As David Burns mentioned, if the chelicerae aren't "locked up" it might just be mites. If it is, in fact, just mites you might try using a soft bristled paint brush to remove them. As far as I know this shouldn't be a problem to any other animals or the people in your house. Can't imagine it would be anyway. Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in fact she never eats in front of me unless its a butterworm. (maybe one or two crix as well, but not a significant amount)
G.rosea's are know for their "eating disorders" , mine didn't eat for 3 months and only started eating after she had a change of clothes.

hope she gets better soon
let us know what happens??

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have successfully eradicated a white mite infestation by cleaning out the affected tanks and moving to a bone dry substrate. I had to be careful to avoid spillages from the water dishes for a while, since the mites loved that area. My Ts are all S.American terrestrials and all tollerated the bone dry conditions without problems.

My G.rosea has never suffered from mites, possibly because there has never been a hint of moisture in her tank.

Good luck.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The fact that you saw one on you is a good thing. A single squirmy nematode would be to small to tell what it is. So most likely not a nematode and probably mites. As you already pointed out its still bad but much better than having nematodes. As nematodes would most surely kill the inverts.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
emilsmee said:
what about the rest of the house? are these of any concern to me, my cats, or my reptiles? i've seen one crawling on me (ick!), and now i feel like they're crawling all over me...
HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE!?!?
emilsmee
Thorazine?