New Tarantula!:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, everyone...

Well, I'd like to post some photographs of my newest Tarantula..."Ungoliant" I believe this speciman to be female and the genus of Aphonopelma seemani. However, it may be otherwise so if anyone would like to give me their opinions please feel free to do so.

So, I went to Petco recently and purchased my newest Tarantula which makes three for me. Anyways, they did some pretty crazy things. First of all, they wanted to put my spider in a cardboard fold-up box as if she was a damn Happy-Meal-Toy or something, and then they gave me a bag of a dozen crickets, excluding the cardboard for them to climb on so they don't impale eachother, so to top it all off, the ignorant clerk-guy gets on the phone, and rings me up at the same time and ends up tossing my new spider while in its container, into a plastic bag with cat toys and treats, water dishes, bag of peat moss, etc...What the hell is with people these days? I probably should have went off on the guy but I didn't, instead just basically said "I'll take that!".

So, without any further adue, I present to you...UNGOLIANT.

-Sincerely, Matt/MrArachnid

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Deffinatley an A.Semmani. I like your setup, especially with the coconut. did you make that or did it come like that? It's proally a good thing you didnt tell him off, but he should have known better. :rolleyes:

At least she looks like shes taking well to her new setup. Grats on your new purchase. I'm sure she cant wait to dig a nice big hole into the substrate you gave her.

As a side note, if you have more Soil, I'd fill it up more. A.Semmani Love burrowing, and might make good use out of it.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thats a beautiful A. seemani. i really like your setup, cool pics too, specially the one with the meal worm climbing cocconut shell enclosure. :D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice spider. A. seemani is one of my favorites but I might be a bit biased. That was my firtst T. Wait till you see her after a molt. They are beautiful Ts.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
3 and counting...

Hi Matt,

Congrats on your Seemani. Beautiful girl you got yourself. :) Terrific-looking setup as well.

Petco people make me cringe as well. I picked up my B. Smithi there, who was mistakingly labeled as Chilean Rose Spiderling ;) .

So now that you're hooked on Ts, what will #4 be? {D

---
Wendy
---

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
when i bought my rosie she got packed in a cardboard box - as a hampster would.but the crickets had cardboard in the bag.
my avic i got from a different store ( the store that doesn't like tarantulas),
i got told that they could get tarantulas (the person would be there the next day and they'd find out what he got,if i wanted one they'd keep on in the store for me).so i called the next day , found out it be rosies or avics...but they didn't know what type of avic...told them i'll take it, will be there tomorrow.they kept the delicontainer in the reptile cage ( guess only a few ppl deal with the reptiles). so i had to wait till somebody opened the reptilecage and took the container out.
dianne

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some of you guys and gals are lucky to have pet stores that have tarantulas or at least a variety. Around here about the only thing I have found is G rosea or A avic and that was only in 1 store. I remember about 20 years ago that the B smithi was the main tarantula found in pet stores with an A avic occasionally. I wish there was more variety in species in the stores in my area.

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Deffinatley an A.Semmani. I like your setup, especially with the coconut. did you make that or did it come like that? It's proally a good thing you didnt tell him off, but he should have known better. :rolleyes:

At least she looks like shes taking well to her new setup. Grats on your new purchase. I'm sure she cant wait to dig a nice big hole into the substrate you gave her.

As a side note, if you have more Soil, I'd fill it up more. A.Semmani Love burrowing, and might make good use out of it.
Any advice anyone could give me on creating a proper burrow for spiders would be greatly appreciated.

As for the coconut, my girlfriend picked it up for me a Meijers believe it or not, and my G.rosea also has a coconut shelter, though I don't think she's ever been in it, which is why I might need to make the opening a bit bigger.

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Hi Matt,

Congrats on your Seemani. Beautiful girl you got yourself. :) Terrific-looking setup as well.

Petco people make me cringe as well. I picked up my B. Smithi there, who was mistakingly labeled as Chilean Rose Spiderling ;) .

So now that you're hooked on Ts, what will #4 be? {D

---
Wendy
---
Well, I went to the Dentist today and seems that I have two wisdom teeth that need to be pulled which ruined my day, so who knows when I'm going to be not-depressed and not-angry now...heh...So, anyways I'm planning on spoiling myself at the reptile show August 14th, I desperately want a Cobalt Blue female, but I'm a little nervous about working with aggressive species, so that definately one option for Tarantula #4.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MrArachnid said:
Any advice anyone could give me on creating a proper burrow for spiders would be greatly appreciated.

As for the coconut, my girlfriend picked it up for me a Meijers believe it or not, and my G.rosea also has a coconut shelter, though I don't think she's ever been in it, which is why I might need to make the opening a bit bigger.
If the opening isn't large enough than that could be why, but some Rosea's dont take to shelters. Others go inside and never come out. {D

Since Semmani like to burrow, You could try adding a few more inches of soil (after removing the T of course) and then starting a pre made burrow near the edge of the glass if you want. It doesn't have to be big. Just a narrow hole a few inches deep. It is likley your T will start doing it on it's own once i gets settled in. :)