treatment of theraphosid bites and urticatious reaction treatment

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Here is a link to a published work regarding treatment of tarantula bites. Hopefully this paper can help to dispell/confirm some concerns regarding theraphosid envenomation. Perhaps not ;)

This paper is written by MD's, not Phd's, so while some of the general theraphosid information is sketchy, the medical treatment is not.

Here is the link: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic550.htm

Maybe this one is worth making a sticky???????

Cheers,
Steve

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, that was good to read. :) I'm afraid I started the last round of debate about this with my choosing to pass on Ts with the most dangerous bites. :rolleyes: (For now. ;))

spot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that was a good article, and would be a good thing to print out and have on hand for curious friends and family members :)

DE3

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good article...

Steve Nunn said:
Hi,
Here is a link to a published work regarding treatment of tarantula bites. Hopefully this paper can help to dispell/confirm some concerns regarding theraphosid envenomation. Perhaps not ;)

This paper is written by MD's, not Phd's, so while some of the general theraphosid information is sketchy, the medical treatment is not.

Here is the link: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic550.htm

Maybe this one is worth making a sticky???????

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

The info is sketchy in places -- I suggest it be very carefully read to take note of the weak points.

The medical info is "good" imo. One might print it out, in case they need to go to the Doc for a Poecilitheria or C fimbriatus bite, or if one gets caught in a cloud of uriticating hairs. From personal experience, I can say that there are Docs out there that wouldnt know how to treat a T-medical situation.

For what its worth, I've trimmed down my collection to ~30 T's -- ~20 of which have "medically significant venom".

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for posting that, it was very interesting and its good to know what to do if you get taged.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DE3 said:

Hi Steve,

The info is sketchy in places -- I suggest it be very carefully read to take note of the weak points.

The medical info is "good" imo. One might print it out, in case they need to go to the Doc for a Poecilitheria or C fimbriatus bite, or if one gets caught in a cloud of uriticating hairs. From personal experience, I can say that there are Docs out there that wouldnt know how to treat a T-medical situation.

For what its worth, I've trimmed down my collection to ~30 T's -- ~20 of which have "medically significant venom".
Definatley sketchy. It's hard to take information seriously when someone says something that they obviously don't understand fully. An interesting read never the less.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
The good that is within there is undermined somewhat by the bad, the bite info there seems to be aimed at N/A and C/A species in the pet trade and in that respect I would agree with it 100%, my old smithi is 17 now and fading but she has bit me when she was a sub adult (and would still now if let her) and iv also been bit by B.vag I would put these bites on par with bee sting with bigger holes,
But then the article goes on to state that species from other parts of the world “may be dangerous to humans” without offering proof of that statement??

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I posted this article, I stated that it had areas that were sketchy. BUT, as far as papers that cover medical treatment of any kind regarding tarantulas go, well, they are beyond rare.

This paper covers what the MD's know best, not tarantula morphology or ecology. If you guys want one of those papers then please, look elsewhere. I fear finding a significant paper worked on by both arachnologists and MD's is probably still a long way off. This paper does cover medical treatment better then any other paper I've seen, if you know of a better one, please post it or a link, I'd love to see it :)

Cheers,
Steve

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd love to see it, too. My own questions on T bites hasn't been answered even remotely. :? It seems there is a common belief by many that bad reactions are from people who are just more "allergic" but who can say? I never get irritated from bug bites, and I've been stung by bees and bitten by spiders including a tarantula and never had a problem, so if that is the case then my chances are good on that theory.

I don't care to test it though! :D

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
I'd love to see it, too. My own questions on T bites hasn't been answered even remotely. :?
Because you didn't ask the question on this thread ;) To answer your question with an opinion, who can't say, who can say. There isn't enough evidence either way to suggest either I think. That's my belief and I'm not asking you to go rounds with me on it. I already know from the other thread how you feel and that is fine with me too.

Cheers,
Steve