ID Help, asian species

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey! Well, I know it's not very easy to do this, just by a few pictures...But someone who knows what species this is?

From what I've heard it's from somewhere around thailand...My guess is Chilobrachys sp, maybe andersoni or huahini.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Other then the it is almost certainly a Chilobrachys sp I don’t think you will get a ID to species level without a exam of the spider or an exvum, but from what iv read (mostly here) most of the one’s in the pet trade are C.andersoni races.

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my opinion that's a definetely a Chilobrachys sp. but You can't identify a species in 100% by the photo.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
definitly a Chilobrachys sp as everyone has said but cant really say if it's andersoni or huahini as the both look very similar. imo though it looks like my C huahnin I had.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am so curious....how can you guys tell if it's a Chilobrachys sp.? I don't mean to be rude, but I'm reading words like "definately" in two posts. So, if you could please tell me how you know??? :?

Thanks,
Steve

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
I am so curious....how can you guys tell if it's a Chilobrachys sp.? I don't mean to be rude, but I'm reading words like "definately" in two posts. So, if you could please tell me how you know??? :?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve I would guess there just going on general proportions and what few traits that can be seen in the pictures that they may well be matching against there own members of that genus, as I also did but of course they may committed themselves too Chilo because they do not know about the closeness of Chilobrachys to Selenocosmia but even if they do they cant see the all important hissing spot betwixs its front bits and derive the needed information from such an endeavour (if there is newer keys too these two genra it would be good to know thats the only big diff i can think of off the top of my head)

P.S im not drunk..

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does it looks :? like a chilobrachys andersoni..?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
as I also did but of course they may committed themselves too Chilo because they do not know about the closeness of Chilobrachys to Selenocosmia but even if they do they cant see the all important hissing spot betwixs its front bits and derive the needed information from such an endeavour (if there is newer keys too these two genra it would be good to know thats the only big diff i can think of off the top of my head)

P.S im not drunk..
Hi Frylock,
LOL! Well explained, but how then did you come to the conclusion it was Chilobrachys?? If you understand that within the majority of Selenocosmiinae genera (not just Selenocosmia and Chilobrachys) a good view of the stridulating organ and surrounding areas is needed to determine genus, why on Earth would you guess genus?? Shame on you, have another quickly ;P

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Frylock,
LOL! Well explained, but how then did you come to the conclusion it was Chilobrachys?? If you understand that within the majority of Selenocosmiinae genera (not just Selenocosmia and Chilobrachys) a good view of the stridulating organ and surrounding areas is needed to determine genus, why on Earth would you guess genus?? Shame on you, have another quickly ;P
Steve I think you maybe giving me WAY too much credit there as knowing something or even sometimes understanding it to a high degree (which in this case I do not anyhow) do not always add up too being able too apply the said knowledge wisely, but I still think over all it looks more Chilobrachys’ish then any other close genera but I also have a horrible feeling there may something on the first picture that shows the under side and a few other things like the inside of the left palp’s femur and the fringe on the maxillae that you can see and no one else has been able to spot :?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
I also have a horrible feeling there may something on the first picture that shows the under side and a few other things like the inside of the left palp’s femur and the fringe on the maxillae that you can see and no one else has been able to spot :?
Nope, I don't think anyone could do that :)

Steve

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, this is just a suggestion.
If you think helping a person narrowing down a photo is futile, if you think you have no clues to provide whatsoever, why not just give a f***? Pretend the thread doesn't exist. Stay out of it so to say.

Marting H; you are making a great point, your thread almost served its purpose.
However, Hemiercus sp. is not the average animal to bring home.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Overmenneske the flaws therein of certain thread (no links ;) ) are clear but in the case of this thread and Steve's questions one has too bare in mind the use of smilley's too uncertain ends (its more a brit thing but what the hell)

from which i dejuiced (but not from a orange) this truth...

Quizmaster “for 100000 dollars what is the answer too this question…..”
Contestant “(give’s right answer) “
Quizmaster “are you SURE…”

:D

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Overmenneske said:
OK, this is just a suggestion.
If you think helping a person narrowing down a photo is futile, if you think you have no clues to provide whatsoever, why not just give a f***? Pretend the thread doesn't exist. Stay out of it so to say.

Marting H; you are making a great point, your thread almost served its purpose.
However, Hemiercus sp. is not the average animal to bring home.
See my point about quiz mastery ;) >Here< sometimes second guessing your self is big mistake :)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Instead of going into a game of guess-ID I suggest you to wait for the spider to molt, save the exuvia and write a nice email to a knowledgeble person on asian theraphosids for ex Rick, Volker or Sören and ask them to help you out with a ID by sending them the exuvia.

/Lelle

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Rick, Volker or Sören and ask them to help you out with a ID by sending them the exuvia.
If you have no luck getting into contact with those guys I'm happy to do it :)

Steve

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:

Steve
JMO but id pick Steve first for help with Selenocosmiinae (i think he will not thank me for saying that tho :D )

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:

Steve
The aussie customs are a bit of a problem it seems, you never got the Xenesthis and Lasiodora exuvia I send you?

/Lelle

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
The aussie customs are a bit of a problem it seems, you never got the Xenesthis and Lasiodora exuvia I send you?

/Lelle
Lelle Australian laws are strict for good reasons i once left two cast exo's in a tank togerter after 4 weeks the were 18 of the little buggers in there!! :eek: