The worst urticating hairs...

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am taking a poll on what species of T's do you think has the worst arsenal of urticating hairs and the worst reaction to the barbed intruders.
My pick would be Theraphosid Apophysis...
Any ideas?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
T.apophysis hands down i would not own one again in fact :(

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well last night i got b.smithi hairs in my right eye.... and im voting Smithi's are evil i cant even see out of it...lol

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
well last night i got b.smithi hairs in my right eye.... and im voting Smithi's are evil i cant even see out of it...lol
You need to get that checked if does not improve many would say you should get it checked out anyway :(

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
FryLock said:
You need to get that checked if does not improve many would say you should get it checked out anyway :(
I agree with this, you should consider getting that looked at.

I don't have a T. apophysis for comparison, but both my T. blondi's are pretty bad. The plumes they can kick up are outrageous! And I almost have to bathe in Neosporin to ease the nagging itching! All my other T's don't bother me at all, and I have some hair-flickers!

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
FryLock said:
yeah i have an appointment at the eye docter in an hour.... They re going to think im crazy when i tell them i have tarantula butt hair in my eye...haha

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
yeah i have an appointment at the eye docter in an hour.... They re going to think im crazy when i tell them i have tarantula butt hair in my eye...haha
Nope he may say "ahhggg not another one" ;P

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
BTW hopeing your eye is ok incase the ;P gave out a bad impression :eek:

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think my B. albopilosa has some pretty bad hairs. I was transferring her into another terrarium and didnt wear gloves, I itched for almost a week :8o

REnee

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My vote goes for Theraphosa apophysis, with T. blondi coming in second.
Quick question Greg....what is the size of the spider in that picture and what size did you buy it at??

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have any of the Theraposa genus, and I generally don't have any problems with hairs. I am still very careful not to get my face too close to any of my T's, and to wash my hands as soon as I am done handling them or cleaning cages,etc., anything that might bring them into contact with urticating hairs. The worse I have experienced is some mild stinging and itching on my hands after handling the moulted exuvium of a G. rosea. It lasted less than half and hour, and was similar to what I've experienced after handling fiberglass insulation or picking field peas.

pitbulllady

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
1. Theraphosa apophysis
2. Theraphosa blondi
3. nothing comes close to the above

Lasiodora parahybana story: About 13 years ago my nephew Zack, who was three or four at the time, was with me when I removed a molted skin from the cage of a large female L. parahybana. I never touched the live spider and I don't recall it "flicking hairs". I threw away the skin and a few minutes later when my nephew was done with the critter tour I picked him up to carry him up the stairs. He started bawling about half way up and we didn't know what the problem was until it dawned on me that the developing rash was due to the molt transferring hairs to my hands, which then transferred them to the poor kid's body. He was screaming like he was being burned :(

I use nitrile gloves and surgical masks when I know I am going to be working with Theraphosa or many other big New World tarantulas - especially when cleaning their cages or packing for shipment.

TIP: Keep Benadryl spray around and use it immediately on any itching areas. Also have antihistamine allergy tablets on hand to take right away.

Attachments

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
The worst reaction I have had is to B smith. I didnt have a reaction to T blondi

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
Good luck, I hope there isn't any permenant damage. :(

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. Apophysis

My adult female T. apophysis is pushing 10" or so. I haven't measured her per say but she is getting HUGE! I have to use kitchen gloves and a long sleeve sweatshirt to clean her cage or just even wash out her water bowl. If I don't I will pay for it. I keep a tube of cortizone next to her abode, it really helps.
I bought her years ago when she was 2 inches. She has grown like a weed.
That tank she is in is a 10 gallon.
After putting up with her my Goliaths seem tame and sweet. LOL. :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. smithi hairs in eye

I hope your eye is getting better. What did the doctor say? It depends on how deep the hairs penetrated.
Question: You know those eye wash bottles with rinsing solution in them? I have those at work. Would it help to flush the affected eye with it? Think I'll "borrow" a bottle and keep it handy in case that happens. Just a thought.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other bad hair flickers...

Yes, now that you mentioned Lasiodora parahybana I can attest to the fact that Lasiodora's have bad urticating hairs also. Especially L. Difficilus, L. Striatus and L. Striatipes. Although they do not compare in any facet to the T. apophysis experience.

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
My adult female T. apophysis is pushing 10" or so. I haven't measured her per say but she is getting HUGE! I have to use kitchen gloves and a long sleeve sweatshirt to clean her cage or just even wash out her water bowl. If I don't I will pay for it. I keep a tube of cortizone next to her abode, it really helps.
I bought her years ago when she was 2 inches. She has grown like a weed.
That tank she is in is a 10 gallon.
After putting up with her my Goliaths seem tame and sweet. LOL. :D
Ahhhh...I see. The reason I asked is that some bogus dealers will sell T. blondi of various sizes as T. apophysis to unsuspecting(or unknowlegeable) customers. Yours looks from that angle/lighting to be very T. blondi like to me.
If you bought her at 2" she would have most definetly had the pink tarsal and metarsal leg sections, so its VERY easy to distinguish at that size.....Just wondering!!!

Cheers!

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, Sorry if it seems im hyjacking this thread... First of all, i went to the eye doctor and he said it was the first time hes ever heard of this in his life.... and that i was the first of our city...haha...im like wow im soo privlidged... ;P ....Then he looked at it and said there is no hairs left in my eye.... But he said the reason i was having difficulty seeing was because my eye had a allergic chemical reaction... He looked under my eyelid and said it was covered with bumps??? Then he said by monday i should have my sight back... and he gave me these drops called genteal and they seem to get rid of the itchy gritty feeling.... so yeah....hehe... ;P
~Meagan~

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have any experience with Theraphosa and don't ever intend to either. Of all the spiders that I've had, Lasiadora parahybana has bothered me the most -- BY FAR!!! Not even my Acanthoscurria geniculata that I had was as bad.

Jon