Avics new townhouse

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Built this over the past couple weeks. Took so long because I wanted lots of cure time on the sealant I used for the wood to prevent mildew.

The top opens on hinges or I can access through a door on the side at about substrate height. Overall volume of the enclosure is about 5 gallons.

Attachments

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats 5 gallons on each side.

Now to find someone for the other half...

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just out of interest. what wood is that made from? only asking because some woods such as pine can release toxic oils

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arachnoking said:
Just out of interest. what wood is that made from? only asking because some woods such as pine can release toxic oils
They will proally end up staying on the glass so they can poop all over it anyway. :rolleyes:

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kiln dried pine plywood and poplar. Wanted to use all poplar but everywhere I looked at it it was very green which wouldn't work very good at all.

Didn't know that pine oils could be harmful to T's. I had thought that was only with cedar oils. I will be around pretty constantly for several days so if I see any signs of distress I will pull him out and rebuild with red oak or birch ply (whichever is cheapest this month).

I put several layers of some pretty durable sealant that can protect wood in a marine environment and prevent oils from penetrating the seal. I left a couple small spots unsealed on the outside of the enclosure that any remaining oils or moisture in the wood will wick out that way insteaf of inside.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
See what Code Monkey says here.
The setup (great looking by the way) is probably perfectly safe to use.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a nice looking setup Wes. Is that plexiglass in front? I think if you sealed the wood it will probably be fine.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I have used pine bark chips for my baby avics to climb and web on. They suffered no ill effects. Some even molted recently. So I say go ahead with the rehab!

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As much as I hated working there, Home Depot has a decent selection of hardwood boards (Red Oak, Maple, and Poplar) Some of the stores have Cherry also. If you're lucky, or spend the time, you can get some very yellow pieces of poplar cut to length (the widest they have is 12" nominal, 11.25" actual)

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have found that Loews has a little better selection of hardwoods aruond here. The Home Despot in this area is a litttle small. It has a quarter the registers than the one accross town by my moms and hardly any real hardwood selections at all and recently no poplar that was cured enough to use. But with lumber, just like produce, you get a variety of quality in the same place from shipment to shipment.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Nice set up!!

Don't worry about the pine/toxin thing....if it were true then why are there spiders all over my wood piles I have in storage?