Arachnephobia!!! But Wait....(Part 1)

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I am new to this forum, and have enjoyed reading some of the posts. I am learning a lot! Here's my story, which I will try to keep brief! (right)
I have been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Florida, in a house framed by huge Oak trees, draped with Spanish moss. Beautiful. The spiders thought so too. There were these giant (up to 4" - giant to me) brown spiders that lived in the oaks and frequently got into the house. They were "evil" ;P They would jump at us like they thrived on our terror. My dad called them "wolf" spiders, but research I have done contradicts that. In any case, in my mind, they were the physical manifestation of eveything evil, horrible, and wrong in the whole universe. I have countless traumatic stories of encounters w/ them.
My fear was so, that if cornered by one (over the door of the bathroom, after a shower), I would scream, cry, tear at my hair/ claw my own skin, and just basically flip out until Mom or Dad would rescue me. Serious fear.
Now, years later, I am 29, still crippled by arachnephobia, and $10,000 poorer from (useless for me) therapy. I couldn't even go outside and do any gardening for fear of "daddy long legs" dropping on me. (They are EVERYWHERE in North Carolina, where I live now, and yes, I know That "DLL"s
aren't really spiders. Still....blech!!!)
This terror has to end! So about 2 weeks ago, I said, "Enough!". I grabbed my fiancee, and dragged him to the pet store. (See Part 2) :)

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was close to that only a few months ago. Now I have 10 Tarantulas and an ever growing collection. Stick around here for a little while and all of a sudden these "manifestation of eveything evil" will become something intersting, beautiful and something you may find yourself dedicating an oddly large proportion of your income to keeping & enjoying. :D

Welcome by the way. Here are a couple of my Ts.

Last edited:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the Boards VodooFuneral - sorry to hear about your (hopefully previous) fear of spiders and/or tarantulas. Can't wait for part #2 to be published, and hope it'll have a happy ending. ;)

Gene, I LOVE your Avic! She's HUGE and gorgeous! :)

---
Wendy
---

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hiya Voodoo I'm new here, too. :) Enjoying you relating your story so far! Looking forward to hearing what happens in part two. ;)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In all those years you never learnt that it was spelt "Arachnophobia"?

*Scoots over to part two*

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Gene, I LOVE your Avic! She's HUGE and gorgeous! :)

---
Wendy
---
Thanks!! She's a sweetie but must be coming up on a molt because she has been refusing food lately. I can't wait till I can get some pics after that. You have a couple of avics don't you Wendy?

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank You

deifiler said:
I guess that if I cared about your opinion, I would apologize for my spelling error, and try to explain how it could have ever happened....but I don't....so I won't. And if by chance I played a part today in making you feel superior in any way, it certainly was unintentional. Enjoy wallowing in your smug self-righteousness- whatever does it for you. Thanks for the warm welcome to this board. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
deifiler said:

*Scoots over to part two*
In all your years you never LEARNED that it was SPELLED "Arachnophobia"? ;P

I'm just trying to interject a little humor, I'm sure deifiler didn't mean it as a slam!!

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MizM said:
In all your years you never LEARNED that it was SPELLED "Arachnophobia"? ;P
Deifiler is using British spellings. Notice in his profile he's on the other side of the Atlantic.

However, that was a rather snarky response towards someone new to the boards. :eek:

Where's the luv, people? :?

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Big thumbs up!

Welcome to the boards VoodooFuneral.

I'm lucky in that I don't think I have a true phobia about anything but in my uni days I lived with a girl who was highly Arachnophobic (I hope that I spelt that correctly!!!! :D ). I have to say I really didn't understand what a phobia was like until I lived with her...to see her physically shake, sweat and panic at the mere suggestion of a spider was a real eye opener.

I have much respect for you and all who go to great lengths to overcome such things and I think it's very brave not only to have come to forum covered with pictures of that which you fear but also to actually face it head on and go out and get a tarantula of your own.

Superbly written post and much respect....

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
starzzzcollide said:
Deifiler is using British spellings. Notice in his profile he's on the other side of the Atlantic.

However, that was a rather snarky response towards someone new to the boards. :eek:

Where's the luv, people? :?
I don't need to look at his profile, he's been here long enough that;
a) I know where he lives
b) He know I was just joking around with him
c) I know that his spelling AND grammar is excellent

The luv is right here, we're joking around with each other cuz we LIKE each other!