Bad News...and Good News

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yesterday, my wife (thats what I call her IRL, so that's what I'll call her here, If anyone wants to discuss it we'll do it in the WH) called me at work to tell me that it looked like Severus, my A. avic, was dying. He looked like he was missing a leg and wouldn't react to anything. When I got home I checked him out, and he did cast a leg, but he has moved a bit since then. He has been real sluggush and hasn't eaten in weeks, and constantly falls off the side of the tank. And he looks like his hair is falling out. Poor guy, he's getting old. He was a mature male when I got him so, even though it saddens me, it doesn't suprise me. I'll miss him when he does go.
Now for the good news. I stopped at Pet Supplies Plus last night in hopes of finding one of those "Rose Hairs" with the red knees that PetCo is always selling. They had four spiders in the case with prices on the sign for "Rose Hair Tarantula," and "Stripe Knee Tarantula." Two of them were definately G. roseas, one looked like it could have been A. chalcodes (but I'm not positive, I'm no expert and I've only seen pictures). The fourth was a dirty grey with stripes on her legs. The underside of her abdomen looked lighter than the rest, so I decided to ask if I could open the case to look a little closer. I tried to get her to climb up the plastic a little so I could see her underside more clearly but she just scurried around the edge of the case, low to the dirt and (even thought I've told them about it several times) the sponge. I didn't want to make her angry enough to bite by teasing her, so I popped the top and picker her up. She had the tell-tale light underside of an A. semanni. I jokingly asked Sonja if I could buy her, knowing she'd say no because she's still squeemish about the spiders, and money is always tight. To my suprise, not only did she say yes, but if we had the money on us, she would have bought the other three as well. They had them in these tiny little plastic cases that they could barely turn around in, with dry sponges and a little loose dirt in the bottom. Even though she hasn't caught the addiction yet, she can't stand to see any animals, especially ones I like so much, in those cramped conditions. With my luck, the dirty grey is the result of her being a hybrid of some sort, but I can always hope that she will molt and be nice and black. She was also the most active of any spider on the day I brought her home. She spent a long time pacing the perimeter of her new home (approximately 2.5 gallon Kritter Keeper). It took her awhile considering it's easily four times the size of what they had her in at the pet store. She ate two crickets and seems very happy now, (if a spider can be said to be happy) I know I'm happy.
So now my collection consists of:
3 G. roseas
1 E. campestratus
1 P. murinus
1 seven legged A. Avicularia
1 unidentified Lycosidae (I caught it myself)
1 light colored A. seemanni

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Jeri,
I have a couple of old boys & can sympathize with you. I've loved having them.
But, great find on the seemani! I acquired a light brown "stripe-knee" a couple of yrs ago. 19 mos later, she molted to that beautiful brown/black that we all know & love!
Good luck & many more! :p

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Jeri,

Congrats on your new addition! :) That is so awesome! Perhaps she's just in need of a molt and will totally surprise you when she changes her clothes.

So sorry to hear about your Avic. :( How long did you have him? Had I paid attention and known you had a male mature Avic, + if you lived closer, I may have wanted to borrow him for my HUGE Avic girl. (Like I have any experience in breeding Ts....yeah, right....but it was a nice thought for a moment ;) )

What did you name your Seemanni?

---
Wendy
---

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOOHOO for you!!

Great, Jeri!! I understand what you mean with Sonja ... Peg, my wife (yep, you and I have a little something in common :) ) is a confirmed arachnophobic, but she has come a LONG way - she now even unpacks spids for me that I have mailed to her at her work, if I am going to be gone for the day on the road at my own job! She unpacked not only a couple of Avics for me, but my big girl P. formosa!! So she is doing super, and is even becoming sort of appreciative of their beauty!!

I got my A. seemani as an impulse from a pet store, too, though she wasn't in rough conditions, and had freshly molted, so I could see how gorgeous she was! Now, though, she is due for another molt, and is that non-descript dirt color ... though still eating like a piglet, so who knows when she will decide to go into official premolt!!

Congrats on your purchase, and many sympathies on your boy ... I DO know how that feels, having gone through it myself!!! I now find someone to ship my boys to for breeding, so I don't have to watch them decline, and can remember them all hale and hearty!!

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Hi Jeri,

Congrats on your new addition! :) That is so awesome! Perhaps she's just in need of a molt and will totally surprise you when she changes her clothes.

So sorry to hear about your Avic. :( How long did you have him? Had I paid attention and known you had a male mature Avic, + if you lived closer, I may have wanted to borrow him for my HUGE Avic girl. (Like I have any experience in breeding Ts....yeah, right....but it was a nice thought for a moment ;) )

What did you name your Seemanni?

---
Wendy
---
He was a muture male when I bought him in February, but I didn't know enough about how to identify that at the time. He hasn't spun any sperm webs since I had him, so he wouldn't be any good as a breeder. :(

Sonja actually named her. As we were walking out of the pet store, she was bouncing her abdomen, so she decided to call her Betty. (but she doesn't want to call her Bouncing Betty, I don't understand it) Betty is also her (Sonja's) grandmother's name, and she was over and saw the spiders earlier that day.

Jeri

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a nice name! How did Sonja's grandmother like your Ts? I think it's so terrific that Sonja "encourages" you to get more - before long you'll have her hooked on them as well. Does she handle them yet?

---
Wendy
---

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
That's a nice name! How did Sonja's grandmother like your Ts? I think it's so terrific that Sonja "encourages" you to get more - before long you'll have her hooked on them as well. Does she handle them yet?

---
Wendy
---
She just stood at the door and said "I don't like spiders." We didn't get the new one until after they left, so she doesn't know about the namesake thing yet. Sonja still shivers at them sometimes, but she's beginning to appreciate their beauty. I'm not sure if she'll ever handle them. She even went to a different part of the store when I picked her up to see her underside. I think she's mainly happy that I'm happy and have a hobby that helps to fight my depression.

Jeri

Last edited: