How often do you feed your Ts?

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The title is the old question again. How often?
By the way,I want to know more about T overfeeding.
Can anyone discuss this topic? :)

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As often as they want to eat!

I am probably not very scientific about this ... I figure growing babies need to eat!! So I feed them often. Basically, on growing spids, I feed, then a couple days after they have finished a meal, they get fed again. They are all eager eaters, and the only time they turn something down is when they are in pre-molt. The adults, I feed heavily (several crix) weekly. This works for me, and I have very healthy, happy pets!!

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I basically do exactly as Kathy says. My juveniles get as much as they want, and when they stop eating (especially my Geniculata), I know a molt is coming up in near future. My B. Smithi can easily "overeat", and when she was smaller she always looked like a tick because she got so chubby. My large Avic eats between 2-3 crickets a week, and my smaller Avic has eaten 7 crickets since I got her last Friday. My Rosea hasn't eaten in over a month, but that's because she's burrowed herself into her own hide.

---
Wendy
---

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I generally buy crickets once a week and feed my Ts over a period of two days until all crickets are gone or they stop eating. Most are still slings and by just feeding them 2-5 crickets a week may stunt growth in the long run (not sure but I'm feeding a lot less now than I used to) they all seem to be at a healthy size. As for overfeeding, from what I understand you can't overfeed a T. They will stop eating when they've had enough.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Kathy & tend to feed the slings as much as they will eat, til they're about 1 1/2". Then every couple days to weekly, just depends on each. Except Brachys...
Re: over-feeding: I have an OBESE B. vagans! And have just heard that you can, indeed, over-feed.
It may be certain Brachys or an individual thing, but...
She's so-o-o fat that...
I sent her off to be bred & she could not get herself "up" for it. The owner of the male knew she was fat, but thought it to be an advantage, might slow her down & not harm the male. But she just COULDN'T DO IT!
She's coming home to a diet...

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm so sorry about your fat spider... :eek: but I am LMAO @ that description!! :D I'd love to see a pic of her, I bet she's adorable. ;)

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
I'm so sorry about your fat spider... :eek: but I am LMAO @ that description!! :D I'd love to see a pic of her, I bet she's adorable. ;)

If you like BIG butts...! {D

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
If you like BIG butts...! {D
Big 'n bouncy!! ;) *hums* Fat bottommed girls you make the arachnid world go... erm, nm.

LOL ;P

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Feeding

I go through at least 100 crix a week. I feed all of mine all they can eat then remove what is left the next day. I don't surmise that tarantulas overeat. They will stop when they are full, plump and content.
I feed once a week, giving small mice every other month to the biggies. :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also feed mine all they will eat especially the youngsters. If they start ignoring food I will back off in case they are getting ready to molt.

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I seem to feed all of my creatures, less than most people, and they are all doing great. Most of my T', get two crickets a week, my T. blondi and L. parahybana would get four or five each. And they both lived to be very old men. And people realy freek out, when I tell them the bearded dragons, only get seven or eight insects a day, instead of the fifty some people feed theirs, they do get a salad too. My oldest tarantula is an w/c female A. seemanni that i have had for ten years. And my oldest bearded dragon I have had for eight years. I say feed what you think is enough, in your own opinion, whether it is a lot or a little.

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
She's so-o-o fat that...
I sent her off to be bred & she could not get herself "up" for it. The owner of the male knew she was fat, but thought it to be an advantage, might slow her down & not harm the male. But she just COULDN'T DO IT!
She's coming home to a diet...
{D

"Next on Jerry Springer......!"

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed my slings and juvies as much as they will eat and as often (my B. smithi sling eats about a cricket a day for a week at a time), My adults get fed 4-6 crickets every two weeks. The only exception being my female P.murinus who should be gravid now, she eats 3-4 crickets a night.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
When I can be botherd!
Once every 2 weeks or every week! It depends on how I feel as I have no feeding routine.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's going to be a lot of variation in feeding, depending upon species, sex and temperature. For my "fat-bottomed" Ts, I make sure that they can't fall too far and I use a substrate without any abrasive elements like perlite, which could _possibly_ cause abrasions due to the abdomen rubbing against the ground.

Karen N.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me, my tarantula's meals and the frequency of them all depend on the size of the abdomen. Basically, if looks nice and plump it's not needing anything much, just a snack of a cricket or two every one or two weeks. Otherwise, if the abdomen is looking a little on the thin side, they get bigger meals more often.

I've noticed that in my collection, some Ts seem to have faster metabolisms than others. My American, South American and Mexican species have slow metabolisms gaining weight fast and keeping it on long. My Asian and African species will lose their "plumpness" much faster requiring more frequent feedings.

Pixie

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Since monday I've probably fed the rescued T about 20 meal worms. :confused: It looks much better and is more lively but is still 'thin' looking, so I keep feeding. =oP It feels like it's never going to stop eating, lol ;)

Edited: annoying typo.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For slings, one smallish cricket every other day. For an older juvenile, one cricket every 2 or 3 days. The advantage of feeding one cricket at a time is that there are no "leftovers", and that keeps the cage clean and, I suspect, prevents health problems. Also, if the T has already started a pre-molt fast, then there is only one cricket you have to locate and remove.

The Tarantula Keepers Guide states that "... all but the very largest tarantulas will thrive on only six to eight crickets a month."

Furthermore, it is my opinion that people who feed mice to their T's are sophisticated (and intellectually rationalizing) versions of little boys who like to pull wings off of flies. Mice are capable of sentient perception and affection - T's are not. It would be infinitely more moral to feed your T to a mouse.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tranz said:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that people who feed mice to their T's are sophisticated (and intellectually rationalizing) versions of little boys who like to pull wings off of flies. Mice are capable of sentient perception and affection - T's are not. It would be infinitely more moral to feed your T to a mouse.
Are you trying to reopen this can of worms?

And I'm really curious to know where you got your evidence that mice feel "affection". I have raised many, some as pets and never had any of them demonstrated any type of emotional reaction. Instinctual: yes, emotional: never.

Pixie

Edit: Are you a vegan? If NOT, I would think that you're statement is highly hypocritical. Cows are much more likely to have emotions that a mouse. Wear any leather shoes? Eat steak?

I rest my case.