Arachnephobia!!! But Wait....(PART II)

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arachnophobia!!! But Wait....(PART II)

We got to the pet shop & it's crowded & noisy, & little kids are screaming because they can't have that puppy, or whatever. I've already broken a sweat because #1: malls are not my thing #2: I am here to buy a Tarantula, and I'm not leavin' without one, no sir.
I found the guy who is the unofficial "tarantula" guy of the shop, whom I had called earlier to "warn". Over the phone, he had recommended the Chilean Rose, of which they had 2.
Back in the noise & chaos of the pet shop, I stared through the glass at the little acrylic boxes. There they were, inches from me. Even with the glass barrier, I felt anxiety. I felt like crying and scratching my arms bloody. I felt claustrophobic and asked my fiancee, Travis, to "just give me a minute alone". He looked hurt but gave me my space. I don't know how long I stood there.
After a few deep breaths (and the effects of the "extra" Klonopin I taken earlier, kicking in), I asked the "spider man" to bring the little boxes out, wondering just how tight those vented lids were on.
The 1st fellow he brought out scared me right away when he moved too quickly up the man's hand. A small, annoying crowd had gathered- here was something creepy to ogle at (for a change, I'm not talking about me) ;)
Someone said, "ooh, that's disgusting!". Another woman, stood too close and tried to tell me how cool her's were when they moulted. Nice, but I didn't care at that moment. I just wanted everyone to "bugger off"!
Then the "spider man" pulled out the 2nd Rose, a slightly larger T, with slow, deliberate movements. Even graceful. The man pointed out the bald patch on the abdomen, w/out explaining the urticating hair defense. He said it was "a nervous thing" (pet shops- sheesh!). But I related to this strange bug. I said, "hey, you're neurotic too!". Our 1st bonding moment.

Meet Bruno!

Bruno may be a "Brunette" I'm not sure. He is about 4 1/2" when he is relaxing. (Before anyone yells at me about the substrate, lighting, or anything else- I'm changing/ improving it as I learn.) :eek:

When we got home, we introduced him to his new home that I had set up for him earlier that day. He was instantly curious about his surroundings, and helped himself to some water (distilled, of course) {D from the dish I'd bought him.
To my surprise, I found myself fogging up the aqaurium, watching him so closely. "Hey...he's kinda...neat".
By day 2, I couldn't stand it. I removed the lid, reached in, with an unsteady hand, and as gently as I could, stroked his "booty" with one finger. Holy *%#!
I was TOUCHING a Tarantula! And he was soft! He didn't seem to mind and continued to sit where he was. "Hey...he's kinda....cool!".
Day 4: I had Travis gently take Bruno out of his home for a little handling session. I'm still not quite ready to let him crawl on me because if he moved suddenly, I'm afraid I would jump and really hurt him- then I would feel horrible. So, Travis had me place my hand between his hands (like my hand was a bridge). I held my breath as Bruno slowly made his way to my hand, gingerly set one foot on the back of my hand, then stop. I was whispering "omygod omygod omygod........" I couldn't believe it. It tickled!
When I tried to pull my hand away, his little "boot" stuck to me. I resisted the urge to panic, and he gently let go of my hand. I did it! And you know what?
I really like the guy. I love watching him stuff crickets into his fuzzy face (that reminds me of a Walrus). Yesterday, I caught myself calling him "BooBoo Face" in a silly voice. "BooBoo Face"???? I am so proud of this experience, I had to share with people who might appreciate it. Thanks for listening! ~Brenna

Attachments

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards and congrats on your new rosie. I'm sure you and BooBoo Face will get along fine. :D

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
THAT was a cute story, I liked how you worded it. You sound like me, at the beginning, but I didn't have the childhood you had. I was very afraid of spiders, but I was fasinated with them!

So far, you sound like you are doing well :) From the pics you have, "he" looks like a "she". Of course, I am guessing!

I am glad you realize that the substrate/lighting isn't the best for your T right
now. You can use peat moss, potting soil (w/o the fertilizer), etc. It is very cheap! I wouldn't use anything in your yard, b/c of the risk of pesticides. It isn't worth it. The light, you can throw away, or give to a reptile keeper. Your T doesn't need any heat. 70-80* is just fine for it. Keep the water dish filled at all times, w/ fresh water :)

And we are glad to have you here :D It is always nice to see a new face! And you can help encourage the public that spiders aren't "evil"!

Continue coming here, and you will learn SO much in just one day!!! And everyone here is great to help you out, and will go out of their way for it :)

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Brenna,

I LOVED that story, SO glad it had a happy ending. :) With each day I'm sure you'll get more and more fascinated with your pretty Chilean Rose, and before you know it you may want MORE because they are so pretty, and so much fun to watch and take care of. {D

---
Wendy
---

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
BTW, at the top of this forum, there is a sticky. And it is labeled:
How to really take care of your Grammostola rosea. (Or something to that affect) That is what BooBooFace is :)

Just thought I would throw that in there. I hope I am not overwhelming you with too much info at one time!

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on your first T! Cool another person from N.Carolina :cool: Where abouts are u in NC I am 1 hr west of Charlotte :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Conquering the fear...

Wow... I can relate. Welcome, and visit often! :)
I commend you for your bravery, you will be rewarded tenfold!
If I may, suggest that when you clean "his" cage in the very near future to replace the sand with peat. It comes in pressed bricks at the pet store. I use nothing else. I wouldn't want to have any sand grains lodge themselves in your rosies book lung slits.
Angela is onto something... you very well may have a girl. :}

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bleeaaaaaah -- you made my eyes mist up... *sniffle* That is not easy to do -- LOL :eek: It's so cool how you have come to care about the manifestation of all evil. :} hehe

I even have boobooface moments with my new rosehair (bought monday!) and she is not as sweet as yours. :cool: She did a cute thing with her foot against her face and suddenly *squeeeeeeeee* I am dorkus maximus, squeeling like a little girl over the cuteness of it. :rolleyes: These things do happen. *snx*

Thank you so much for telling us about this. :eek: It was very sweet.

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bruno the Girl

Thank you guys for your comments and tips. I did make a copy of the Grammostola rosea care sheet, and read over it last night. Very helpful.
I can't believe that just a few weeks ago, I couldn't even look at a spider picture. I couldn't even touch those black plastic spider rings that come with a pack of fake Halloween webs! :8o Now, my nose is pressed against the moniter, studying pictures on the web.
I love the little blue girl in my 1st post- is she Avicularia versicolor? I think I would really like to have one- how is their temperment? I first saw one of these on "Phong's" website. His is named Tick, and he is so beautiful & fuzzy!

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pic_versicolor.shtml

Nice pictures on this site....wouldn't want to annoy the Cobalt though :eek:
The Sun Tiger is another beauty that caught my eye, on the same site. Check out the strike pose....he looks like I feel. {D

Well, I hope you are right about Bruno being a girl & I hope she's around for a long time to come! What do you think? Bruna? Brunette? Bru? I was so attached to "Bruno". Oh well.

Sorry, I'm trying to respond to most replies in one post, so forgive the randomness. Greg Wolfe: How do you feel about compressed expandable coconut fiber as substrate? I got some the other day but can always return it for something more appropriate.

rosehaired1979: I live in Black Mountain (about 18 mi. East of Asheville) Kind of an oasis in the middle of "Deliverance", if ya know what I mean.

Thanks again for the sweet posts :eek: I will probably be an annoying fixture of this board now, so we'll chat again soon!

PS, 8leggedrobot, awww....misty! :rolleyes: That's cute.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
VoodooFuneral said:
I love the little blue girl in my 1st post- is she Avicularia versicolor? I think I would really like to have one- how is their temperment? I first saw one of these on "Phong's" website. His is named Tick, and he is so beautiful & fuzzy!

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pic_versicolor.shtml

Yes, it's my versicolor. Their temperment is excellent from what I heard & experienced. Don't hesitate to get one of them. I love letting her run all over my hands especially since she is barely the size of a quarter right now. The do move faster than your "boo boo face" but aren't anything to worry about. :D

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Versicolor

Gene, I just got a great tip from rosehaired1979 about a petshop in my area that has a big variety...including a 1/2" A. versicolor. Oh cute! Do they tend to stay in webs at the top of their enclosure, instead of chilling on the ground
like, er, "BooBoo Face"? (I will never live that one down, I have a feeling) {D
Any tips about these little guys, esp., such small ones? Thanks!

Swampling

Arachnopeon
Tarangela said:
So far, you sound like you are doing well :) From the pics you have, "he" looks like a "she". Of course, I am guessing!
Woa, how on earth did you sex the spider from those pictures? :confused:

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
VoodooFuneral said:
Gene, I just got a great tip from rosehaired1979 about a petshop in my area that has a big variety...including a 1/2" A. versicolor. Oh cute! Do they tend to stay in webs at the top of their enclosure, instead of chilling on the ground
like, er, "BooBoo Face"? (I will never live that one down, I have a feeling) {D
Any tips about these little guys, esp., such small ones? Thanks!
They do make beautiful tube webs usually at the top of the enclosure in my experience. They don't stay there much as mine is pretty active. Since they are aboreal they climb more and are much faster moving than your "boo boo face" (you probably won't live that down but that's a good thing. It shows you have already gotten a personal attachment to all that is evil ;) )

My first was a rosie too, and then the avic (pink toe) and really I seem to prefer some of the arboreals to the ground dwellers.

You can't go wrong with a versicolor. They are stunning babies and beautiful as adults too. They have great personalities and super colors.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Gene said:
They do make beautiful tube webs usually at the top of the enclosure in my experience. They don't stay there much as mine is pretty active. Since they are aboreal they climb more and are much faster moving than your "boo boo face" (you probably won't live that down but that's a good thing. It shows you have already gotten a personal attachment to all that is evil ;) )

My first was a rosie too, and then the avic (pink toe) and really I seem to prefer some of the arboreals to the ground dwellers.

You can't go wrong with a versicolor. They are stunning babies and beautiful as adults too. They have great personalities and super colors.
He is right about that!! They are awesome! I had 3, and 2 were male, and lived short lives :( The other a sweet female! She even has a dud eggsac right now, and I think it is SO cute to watch her with it!

Avics are one in a million ;)

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Swampling said:
Woa, how on earth did you sex the spider from those pictures? :confused:
I didn't. I guessed.

From my experience w/ G. rosea, the females kinda stand out to me sometimes. So, I gave it a guess, that is all :)

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
VoodooFuneral said:
Sorry, I'm trying to respond to most replies in one post, so forgive the randomness. Greg Wolfe: How do you feel about compressed expandable coconut fiber as substrate? I got some the other day but can always return it for something more appropriate.
That stuff works great. Especially for Rose Hairs. You will find that some members of this board will like to mix that with other stuff. I mixed it with Lizard Litter for my spiders, and in the past I have mixed it with moss which gives a cool natural effect. I also use it straight if I have too. Welcome to the boards. :p

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
welcome to the tarantula hobby and the boards! i must warn you tho, in about 6 months you'll have at least 4 of them...

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Males are very leggy, but it could be immature. Great setup Brenna, except some light and substrate gripes, it looks great! Adult female versicolors are particularly stunning, very cool.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although many people are frightened of tarantulas due to their large size, they seem to have an odd ability to cure arachnophobia. I guess that people are afraid of the unexpected and will panic if they suddenly find a small spider nearby. There's also the "ick" factor that seems to go away if the animal is above a certain size. So assuming that people are willing to listen and learn, they will discover that Ts can be beautifully colored, (mostly) harmless and easily cared for. The hard part is getting them to listen.

Karen N.