Why Aren't My Avics Eating?

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two A. avics that ate okay when I got them from petco but they have now altogether stopped completely. They don't go down to the substrate to get the crickets there, they don't get the crickets on their wood. And if I try to feed it to them as I have heard other keepers do they practically run in terror. :( Can those of you experienced in avics tell me what I might try or if my avics are in premolt, just how long does that last until the actual molt occurs? Any help would be appreciated. :?

Thanks,

Allen

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big are they?? dont worry about them not eating...they could be in premolt or just not hungry...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're about 3+". One is bigger than the other and started to web up and then stopped. The other one hasn't webbed at all. :confused:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just try to feed them again in about a week. If they won't eat then they may be in premolt. As long as they look "fat" they are probably ok

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
How big are they?? dont worry about them not eating...they could be in premolt or just not hungry...
Yep. Avicularia spp. are pretty good about not eating when they don't need to; they won't over-eat, and pretty much any T out there won't eat if it's in pre-moult. Just give it some time and trust that your T's will eat when they need to.

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, for all of the advise and support. It's nice to know I'm not just kind of out there on my own swinging in the breeze and that at least some of my assumptions are correct.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my avic eats but she hasn't web for 3 weeks?
is it normal just hunting without webs?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I would suggest you to remove the crickets in the webbed-up enclosure.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
Is it an Avic avic? I've heard these will sometimes not web until they are just about to moult, so as long as she's eating and otherwise Ok I'd not worry.

On the other hand, my versi's tend to web all the time, no matter what.

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine actually are Avic avics. And they haven't webbed all that much. They seem to be holding their own. I have a sneaking hunch that they are night stalkers. I threw a cricket in each one of their tanks 2 days ago and this morning they're gone. The little sneaks. {D

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my obt hasnt been eating as well, most probably a premolt. has been hiding for quite sometime though .. havent seen it for a few days already. webbed itself so tight in i cant even see it.. wonder if its dead in there..

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
My A.Avic's not a big webber, I've had her three months and she didn't lay down any at all for weeks when I first got her. Since then she only laid down a very small amount which she kinda sits on from time to time.

I have heard that some only web when they're ready to moult, mine hasn't done so with me so maybe when she's ready she'll make more of an effort {D but she seems perfectly content and munches down the cricks like there's no tmrw.

Tarantulas don't use their webs to hunt like true spiders do so as long and yours is eating I wouldn't worry.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kismet said:
My A.Avic's not a big webber, I've had her three months and she didn't lay down any at all for weeks when I first got her. Since then she only laid down a very small amount which she kinda sits on from time to time.

I have heard that some only web when they're ready to moult, mine hasn't done so with me so maybe when she's ready she'll make more of an effort {D but she seems perfectly content and munches down the cricks like there's no tmrw.

Tarantulas don't use their webs to hunt like true spiders do so as long and yours is eating I wouldn't worry.
since all the caresheets on the internet said they build tube like retreats
but i think mine acting like a wondering spider more than a tree dewlling one
she eats eveyday

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They all have different characters!

randolph20 said:
since all the caresheets on the internet said they build tube like retreats
but i think mine acting like a wondering spider more than a tree dewlling one
she eats eveyday
Then she sounds fine to me...especially if you've only had her three weeks - they can take some time to settle in. My gal was a bit of a wanderer when I first got her then she seemed to find a place she liked and has 'moved in'!!

She's built three different webs...one which she initially sat on, one which looked like the start of a tube but she then abandoned that for a sheet style web between the wall and some wood at the top of the tank...I was hoping that she was thinking about moulting in it but she's still eating like a fiend so I figure it's just the hot weather - she fancied chilling out in a home made hammock!

The weird thing about her is that for all I've read about Ts hating bright light she's a little sun goddess and when it's super sunny she actually spreads herself out in the only bit of the tank which gets direct sunlight...if she carries on I might have to invest in some spider sun block!!! {D

Kismet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh and by the way - if it's your first T (or first arboreal) and you're anything like me you'll be so proud and excited when she does lay down her first bit of webbing... :D

Or maybe that is just me :8o

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i also found my avic love my little table lamp, too
cuz i guess maybe in the wild they got their food next to the light maybe