The "What in the Heck is my T Doing?" Thread

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My new G. Rosea has been doing well & eating crickets-a-plenty. The other day, just after catching a meal, she dropped it and started to do a little clockwise/ counter clockwise spider dance, and spread a thin layer of web right where she stood. Then she picked up her cricket & munched away. Now she does that every time she eats. What is this behavior? :?
Also, toward the end of one meal, it there was a drop of amber liquid on her mouth, then she sucked it back up (yummy). Was this just cricket/ digestive fluids?
She just finished hunting, and actually digging a petrified (wouldn't you be?)
little cricket out of 1" of substrate that he had burrowed in. Nice try, little buddy, nice try.
Stanley The Cricket, RIP 8/06/04

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sounds like your T. is making a feeding mat...any food that gets dropped will be in the web and then she will pick it all up...this is very normal...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have noticed that costa rican zebra and h.lividum does the same thing do all t's make a feeding mat?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
i have noticed that costa rican zebra and h.lividum does the same thing do all t's make a feeding mat?

Most of mine do....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only one of my three roseas do this. The other two just stand on tiptoe until either another cricket comes by or they finish eating.

Jeri

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I have heard it called the "tarantula waltz". Most of mine do the same thing as well. My C fasiatum sling will "dance" all the way around the jar 2-3 times before it resumes feeding.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I love watching mine do their "happy dance" when they get some good food in their fangs!

It seems to be very normal w/ all my T's. I was able to watch my Blondi do that w/ a large mouse. It was very cool to watch her open and work her fangs.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yup, the happy dance.

Slowly circling, masticating the cricket, dipping the butt up and down to create the feeding mat. It's a marvelously choreographed ballet of gore!!

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeal its pretty cool. i miss when my adult g.rosea use to eat, it was the only movement i had form her(now if i did'en know better i would say she is dead).

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If Im not crazy its purpose is to prevent other food items for accessing the tarantula while its fangs are being used for its current meal.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VoodooFuneral said:
Stanley The Cricket, RIP 8/06/04
{D {D ROFLMAO {D {D

Oh PLEASE continue posting, Voodoo, you write so well! And the last line made me spit out my water!

---
Wendy
---

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've noticed that my Ts do this mostly with larger prey (relative to their size)...they also, following the death of the prey, cover it in web so it holds together while their digestive juices work their magic! ;P

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T's do it for there "feeding mat" as you call it so ill go with that, T's are clumsy when feeding and they mess it up tryin to catch the stupid cricket, there turning 360 degrees and so on because there redoing the mess they and the cricket made, i dunno if this has been mentioned i just thought id say

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What they are doing is spinning a mat of silk which is used to wrap the undigestable prey remains into a tidy little ball which is called a food bolus. They then toss the bolus away. Sometimes neatly in a corner or if the T isn't such a good housekeeper, it will be tossed just wherever...or in a water dish. (which was just discussed in another thread)

What's really cool is watching your arboreal T's do the feeding dance vertically. :p

Take care.
Atrax

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantula waltz...

Yes, The tarantula dance. I have quite few that do that, and I would agree that they are making a feeding mat.