Which species is it?

hooale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi There,

During my holidays i found this tarantula.
Anyone knows which specie it is?

Regards,
Alex

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Alex,
That's a red butt black front big fanged South American/African/East Lebanese toooooranchula (that was the common name).

I know, I know, don't thank me :eek:

Steve

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
snake1dk said:
Its a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Sorry Snake but I'm not sure that it is C. cyanopubescens. The carapace seems too dark in color and I would expect to see at least a little more of a cyan hue.
Here's a pic of one of my gbb's for comparison...btw, this pic is not enhanced.

Atrax

p.s. I have no idea what the first pic is though. I'm not up on my n/w species at all. Just a wild guess....Pamphobeteus sp.? (proof I'm not in the know)

Attachments

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans aka "Mexican Red Rump"

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i can't see any plumose setae on the trochanter on leg 1, so this is not a Brachypelma

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
metallica said:
i can't see any plumose setae on the trochanter on leg 1, so this is not a Brachypelma
Awww, does that mean I don't win?!

Well, it was a half (_*_) guess anyway!! {D It could be any number of species and ya can't i.d. a T from a photo anyway! I just wanted to qualify for the grand prize! Well, maybe a "GBB" or "Orange Bitey Thing"! ;)

hooale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At first i thought it was Brachypelma vagans, but then i saw the young. Juveniles of Sericopelma are very distinct from other species. Picture was taken in Panama. I collected two exuviums which are currently being examinated

Last edited:

snake1dk

Arachnopeon
Well, my geografi is werry poor, but the chromatopelma lives in venezuela, and the 2 i got, is in premolt, so the blue is'nt that blue now.
Was the carapace a litle green?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is it?

Gorgeous pic! It does look like B. vagans but the more I look at it the more I keep getting Acanthoscurria something. This is going to drive me nuts...
Let me know what you find out!!! :?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I'm guessing freshly molted sub-adult Acanthoscurria chacoana. I have a couple of juvies, and their legs can look a little blue after a molt.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is it?

Yeah, that sounds right. Acanthoscurria (chacoana).
Good looking T! :)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
Yeah, that sounds right. Acanthoscurria (chacoana).
Good looking T! :)
and it walked all the way from Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina trough Peru and Colombia to Panama? no wonder it looks tired!

Eddy

Ruben Olsen

Arachnopeon
Spec?

Hi

I would say it's some kind of a Aphonopelma Species

Cheers
Ruben Olsen
Denmark

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
metallica said:
and it walked all the way from Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina trough Peru and Colombia to Panama? no wonder it looks tired!
*ROFL*

Cheers,
Martin

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I might have solved this spider's identity crisis. There is a specie called Crassicrus lamanai in Central America, sometimes called a "Cinnamon tarantula" or "Antelope tarantula", though I have NO idea how that last common name came about. It is a skittish burrowing species, and is very sexually dimorphic, with adult females being a cinnamon brown color and males basically being black with red abdomens. I recently saw a program on the National Geographic Channel which showed a naturalist capturing several of this species in Belize, even allowing himself to be bitten by an angry female he's dug out of her burrow just to demonstrate how mild their venom is, and trying to put together a mature male and female in the hopes that they would breed. The male looked just like the spider in the pic at the beginning of this thread, and there is a pic on Rick West's site that matches it also. Most of the info I can find on it suggest it is mainly found in Belize, but since animals don't recognize political/national boundries, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that this specie, or a closely-related one, could also be found in Panama.

pitbulllady