Metal Bottle Caps for Water Dishes?

aliasx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone have any reasons against using metal bottle caps [beer or old style coca cola type] as water dishes?

They are just the right size and will be replaced at the first sign of rust or corrosion if not before.

aliasx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not too sharp, they must be dulled at some point in the manufacturing process because they are not as sharp as say sheet metal cut with tin snips.

They would not cut a persons skin unless there was considerable force behind it.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would not take the chance for even a day. Metal is too sharp, no matter what else.
Just my opinion, tho... :eek:

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i agree, metal water dishes are trouble unless we are talking very smooth stainless steel. my snake has a SS water bowl made for cats with a rubberized bottom and lip that is easier to keep clean than anything else i've ever used.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would'nt risk it, personally. I've used the plastic caps off of aspirin bottles before. Washed, of course.

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried using the bottom half of an Altoids tin for my P. Platyomma. It developed a tiny rust spot and I threw it out.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only metal caps I've used are those that served as jar lids, and have a very smooth, rounded edge. I only have used those in the absence of anything else at the time, though, since eventually they DO rust. I have used plastic jar lids on many occasions, and plastic medicine bottle caps for smaller things. What I use, though, most of the time are the bottoms cut out of plastic Dixie cups, with all pointy edges cut away. Our local funeral home supplies these cups, printed with their logo, by the thousands to families who have just lost a loved one, and after two deaths in my family over the past two summers, I happened to have a huge supply of these cups, and it's not like they are just great for serving whoever drops by for a casual visit, you know? I didn't want to throw them out, so I put them to use-with modifications-as tarantula water dishes!

pitbulllady