Is this an injury?

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Was watching my rosea and noticed that on the outside of the femures of legs R1, R2, and L1 she has what appears to be a split. I thought it was some injury from her climbing to her lid and falling until I saw identical ones on the other legs. They were all so similar in size and position it seemed unlikely that she could have such similar injuries on 3 seperate legs

So is this really some injury or is it some other anatomical structure I am not familiar with? Are they maybe premoutl stretch marks or something?

Here are some pics to help you see what I am talking about.

Attachments

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They aren't injuries. That's as far as I can take that though. To my knowledge no one is really too sure what they are. Unless, of course, something has come about recently and I haven't heard about it which is more than likely. :) Some people think it could be possible muscle attachment points. I'm sure there are other theories though. If you look at a lot of different spp, OW and NW, you'll see these same marks.

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am wondering if those have to do with preparing for a moult myself, been noticing those in a lot of pics recently. ???

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spilt marks...

I wouldn't consider those injuries, unless fluid was exuding out of it.
My Grammastola Grossa has those too, weird. :?

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've noticed the same markings on my G.Rosea and A.Semmani. I always just dismissed them as bald spots on the T. My first reaction was like your's. After realising the same markings where on each leg it didnt bother me anymore. Don't worry it's not an injury.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is the spider in pre-moult, and are the markings anything like on the picture I've attached? If so, it's normal, and I just see it as the exuvium 'decaying'.

Attachments

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pic you posted Overmenneske is more ragged than what I was seeing. What I saw on my Rsea and since on my Seemani have very straight edges and it is definately wider at the part closest to the body and tapers off as it nears the patella.

It looks as if the exuvium had maybe split and healed or been litterally stretched apart which made me wonder if it was a premoult condition. Could these be like the elastic panels on pants? As new exuvium grows this part can stretch to prevent a splitting of the exuvium too early or excess pressure on the organs? Or could it bee that this allows a little flexibility so the diameter of the femure can expand and contract as the leg moves?

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i dun think its a wound or and injury.. i'vee seen them on my T's too and was puzzled too at first, but after observing it for a few weeks, well i dun think it an injury ..