chromatopelma cyanopubescens

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am thinking of getting a 1" sling. i did some research and all i can get is: skittish, very webby, good eaters, likes to flick hairs, need to be dry, and they are easy to care for. every search i do, comes up with the same. is there anything im missing?

ps- do they borrow or just hide under things or do they make a web huts or something?

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Somewhat accurate on the description, but mine were'nt skittish at all. But they do alot of webbing. Hides were always provided, but they just used them to attach their copious webbing to.

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a toilet paper tube for mine and she spends most of her time inside. The bigger she gets the more she ventures out, but yes - a LOT of webbing. GBB is an awesome species for color transformation alone. They grow pretty quickly so if you get a sling you won't be disappointed.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two females one adult and and one juvie, pictures dont do them justice...they have awsome colour and are very very hardy....I keep mine bone dry and a water dish and a hide and like Wayne said they produce copious amounts of webbing, they grow pretty quick and are great eaters...I would recomend one for sure !!

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cichlidsman, You already know how I like them so I will leave it at that. :)

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the replys. i am still not sure what i want, but the GBB is on the list.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 2.5" GBB, that isn't very skittish or aggressive, but likes to flick hairs. Mine only uses it's hide during molt, other than than always out in the open. When it comes to webbing mine only covered the floor of it's enclosure. oohh yeah they are good feeders. GBB are a good choice.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are fantastic Ts . In the wild they web up and live in tall grass and rarely use a hide, they just run down into the grass to hide. As slings their carapace is gold and they have an abdomen with black wih red stripes. Mine are still small ( 2 in. ) I can't wait till they get their adult coloration. Very hardy Ts, eat well and grow quickly.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
You could provide some twigs etc. to start off the web structure. However, even if you don't, they will use the substrate well. Also, I think they use more sticky silk than, say avics, in some of they webbings to trap preys.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greenbottle blue's

Greenbottle's are awesome, especially after a molt. Profuse webbing and skittish. Mine likes "her" substrate dry but enjoys moist air. Here is mine, photo doesn't do any justice. :(

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
You could provide some twigs etc. to start off the web structure. However, even if you don't, they will use the substrate well. Also, I think they use more sticky silk than, say avics, in some of they webbings to trap preys.
cool so they dont just wait for a cricket to walk in front of it and then grab it? that will be cool to watch.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
Greenbottle's are awesome, especially after a molt. Profuse webbing and skittish. Mine likes "her" substrate dry but enjoys moist air. Here is mine, photo doesn't do any justice. :(
your spider is a good webber, she should find it easy to catch prey. how do you create moist air? did you like put a "thingy" of water on a "warm" hot rock or something?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine will nail a cricket or grasshopper as soon as it hits the substrate. You have to be watching closely or the action will be missed. It also seems to devour a meal faster than my others. BTW If you like the colorful Ts another good choice is Costa Rican Tiger Rump (C fasiatum). They are also very hardy and are voracious eaters.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GBB are very docile and web alot diespite that they make very good display T's and good eaters the only aggresion I have ever seen from them is to male during mating. Beleve me gbb females are very nasty towards ther own kind.
They dont like moisture so keep them on the dry side with a water dish and give them some twigs too for them to web and a plant pot to hide in.

Regards

G W

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Mine will nail a cricket or grasshopper as soon as it hits the substrate. You have to be watching closely or the action will be missed. It also seems to devour a meal faster than my others. BTW If you like the colorful Ts another good choice is Costa Rican Tiger Rump (C fasiatum). They are also very hardy and are voracious eaters.
i have seen my a.seemanni catch crickets right out of the air(before they hit the grown). yeal they are nice siders(c.fasiatum) aswell. i have it on my list to research.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
how do you create moist air? did you like put a "thingy" of water on a "warm" hot rock or something?

Hot rocks are a really bad idea for T.s...they can very easily harm spiders....

Regards, Mike :eek:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
and web alot diespite that they make very good display T's and good eaters the only aggresion I have ever seen from them is to male during mating. Beleve me gbb females are very nasty towards ther own kind.
They dont like moisture so keep them on the dry side with a water dish and give them some twigs too for them to web and a plant pot to hide in.

Regards

G W
do you handle you Gbb?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Hot rocks are a really bad idea for T.s...they can very easily harm spiders....

Regards, Mike :eek:
every time i mention "hot rocks" i get the same respons. i keep hot rocks in with my adult rosea and my adult seemanni. i never had any porbelms(2 years). i have seen heat pads get a lot hotter then "my" hot rocks, there are porbely different bran names. i forget what mine is at the moment.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What is the ambient temp in your house? I don't use any heat on my spiders but the room stays around 78-83 F. On my scorps I stick a heat pad on 1 side of the tank since my scorps seem to do better at slightly warmer temps.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greenbottles and moisture...

My Greenbottle hates moist substrate but she does drink out of her water dish. I keep her on the drier side along with my Aphonopelma's.