Seeking List of Native Tarantula

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey. I was wondering if anyone knew a link to a site that catagorizes tarantula's by country and state? Particularly Arizona, I've read that over 30 species live here. I tried searching here and other search engines, but cant find a web site with a good general list.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Arizona
A .apacheum...north east of Tucson
A. behlei....Grand Canyon area
A.chalcodes...east of Tucson
A.gabeli...north east of Portal/west and south west of Tucson
A.jungi...south and west of Portal
A.lithodomum...north Arizona
A,minchi...north east of Phoenix
A.phasmus...Grand Canyon area
A.rothi...east of Phoenix
A.stahnkei...south east of Phoenix
A.schmidti...south east of Phoenix
A.vorhiesi...south west of Tucson

Sorry that the location info is abit vague!A good guide to help you in your search is the book...Tarantula Spiders (Tarantulas of the U.S.A. and Mexico) by Andrew M Smith. ISBN...09510939-9-1 .
This is most likely the best book to date about tarantulas from the U.S.A even though it may now be a little out of date (not sure about this) but is does contain ruff location data with ruff maps and lots of species to be found there.
Hope this is of some use.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes. Thank you that information is very helpfull. I am thinkin of trying to locate a few good places for collection. I wanted to do some research on breeding WC's. Thank's much I'll check for the book on Amazon.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was thinking of headed tomorrow for flagstaff, but I this list shows a lot near tuscon. Any idea if there are many species located in Tuscon?

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Isn't the Flagstaff Orange from.. er.. Flagstaff?
Certainly makes me want to go back and visit Tucson again though!

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im not sure if it's from flagstaff or just given the same name. :?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just so you know most of those names are no longer accepted as valed

A,minchi
A.schmidti
A.rothi

are all Aphonopelma chalcodes, I know there are more. Iv feild collected many t's here in AZ and smith really messed up when he wrote that book about American aphonopelma. The book was never peir read before it was published. Thank You

Also if you want a tour guied give send me a PM and ill help you with exact local data.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Last edited:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That sounds great. My AIM is Shaun M Holder and I'll private message you too. Im going to try the Coconino National Forest in Flagstaff today. Wish me luck :D