C. fasciatum... I finally got a girl!

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I was starting to think that I would only have MALE tarantulas in my collection last year after my T. blondi, B. smithi, and P. platyomma all molted out to be males...

But this year I am having better luck:D First I found that my H. lividum and P. lugardi are females, and now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my C. fasciatum is a female! I'm a happy girl! {D

Take a look:D

Last edited:

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
UdBoEmR said:
congradulations..
*ponders what that picture is of*
She recently molted (I've only been waiting for 2 months!) and it's a picture of her spermatheca as seen from the exuviae (cast exoskeleton).

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The Red Queen said:
She recently molted (I've only been waiting for 2 months!) and it's a picture of her spermatheca as seen from the exuviae (cast exoskeleton).
>>Well now that we've seen the pics of her insides...where's the pic of her in her new clothes?Nice to get females...

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
pelo said:
>>Well now that we've seen the pics of her insides...where's the pic of her in her new clothes?Nice to get females...
I'll post a pic after she has had a little time to rest up:)

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am fully sympathetic! i was beginning to think Haplopelmas only produce males!

kristin

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
OK Pete, here you go! She came out of hiding for a little while, so I got some pics for you:) She's still a little camera shy, and of course right after I took the pics she went right back into her burrow, lol!

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Amanda,
That is a beauty!!!! I have sling of this species in premolt right now. These have to be one of my favorites. How long did it take yours to reach adulthood?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
OOO very pretty!! I just picked one up today at the reptile show in SaltLake City. Ive been looking for one for a while and just stumbled onto it!! :D:D Im hoping mine is female too...have to wait for the ole shed I guess.
How big do these guys get anyway?

Michelle

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OldHag said:
OOO very pretty!! I just picked one up today at the reptile show in SaltLake City. Ive been looking for one for a while and just stumbled onto it!! :D:D Im hoping mine is female too...have to wait for the ole shed I guess.
How big do these guys get anyway?

Michelle
They don't get very big . Around 4 in is all. BTW, are you still raising sowbugs???
just kiddin' again. {D {D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cyclosternum fasciatum

WOW!!! She's beautiful. :} Lucky you... hope mine turns out like yours.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Brian S said:
They don't get very big . Around 4 in is all. BTW, are you still raising sowbugs???
just kiddin' again. {D {D

YES DARNITALL I AM!!!! *shakes her fist at Brian S* :D Im sending some by "secret Mail" to infest all your terrariums!!!!

To keep it on subject, heres my new baby :D

Last edited:

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is beautiful. I wish I could get a picture of ours, it just hides a lot, and gets uptight if I look at it the wrong way {D

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The one we have is very small and hardly see it. It stays buried most of the time. Its 1" -1.25"

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
firefox2 said:
She is beautiful. I wish I could get a picture of ours, it just hides a lot, and gets uptight if I look at it the wrong way {D
I got lucky with mine... she is usually out and about most of the day, and she is not nearly as uptight/skittish as others of her species. I can easily handle her, and on occasions where I take my animals to schools for a little show and tell, she is the Tarantula I bring out for the kids to get up close and personal with.

edit: From what I have learned, her temperment is not typical of this species.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OldHag said:
YES DARNITALL I AM!!!! *shakes her fist at Brian S* :D Im sending some by "secret Mail" to infest all your terrariums!!!!

To keep it on subject, heres my new baby :D
Wow Hag, You got a beauty as well. How big is it?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
She/he's about 2.5 Maybe 3...but 3" is pushing it. So far its pretty calm but it hasnt burrowed yet. I think her/his attitude will emerge more when it has something worth defending. Hope its cousin to RedQueens and is docile :D

Michelle