Whats my Rosie doing?

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's hardly ever in it's hide and lastnight i was digging dirt out of it's hide. this morning it's webbed the entire front half of it's hide up. like it webbed itself in. whats it doing?

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine did that the first month after I got her. She even incorporated substrate into it. I was excited cause I thought she was going to lay eggs, (she was a wild caught T) But nope...she hust wanted it like that. She tore it all down the next month.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my adult use to do that. it just made itself a borrow. if you destroy it, it may be a very long time before it digs again.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Webbing itself in...

Many of my T's do that too. While it's no cause for alarm I think they web themselves in because they want to mole out for a while and be alone.
Last night I dug out my Pamp. Nigricolor, she was a hermit for two months!
T's seal themselves up for a molt often too.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
SmackMasterT said:
whats it doing?
It's joined the International Rosea Conspiracy, an organisation whose sole purpose is to confuse and worry human beings.

If I were you I would not be concerned. I would rejoice that your rosea is doing something interesting. Sounds like it has decided that the hide might just be tollerable if it had a smaller entrance.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Sometimes they just want some privacy. :) When they are hungry/thirsty/horny *ahem* they will come back out. Some also like to molt in safety.

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh i hope it dosent molt in there it's very small. it dosent seem to like larger hides though. i worry if it molts in there it'll get stuck. :eek:

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it made a web and went upside down under it then that means it is a newly matured male, and it is making a sperm web.

mine did that about a week ago and sadly it means that the bugger doesnt have long left, so mate him while you can!

if you find the web destroyed in a couple of days or so it is most likely a sperm web.

cya

-mikey

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do they have to turn over? it's been constructing this all night. but it's not upside down. it hasent been out of there all day though. hardly even moved. it'll turn around now and then but thats it. :?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More than likely it's just redecorating the tank; making things comfortable. Rosies are notorious for going off food for long periods. Typically, if you think it's been too long since the Ts last meal, give it another week (and another, and another, and...you get the picture). Just keep offering food. She'll eat when she's hungry. Don't worry about the T molting in the burrow. She'll make it as big as she needs it.

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i woke up this morning and the web was tore down and it was out of it's hide. just keeping everyone updated on what it's doing.

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No it dosen't have those. it's palps are straight no boxing glove type thing.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im sorry i don't know what to say. can you pick up your spider and look at the book lungs for fusilla(a dark spot between the upper book lungs)?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if it has the dark spot then it is most likely a male and that was a sperm web it destroyed last night. if it is a male you should try to find someone with a female to breed him cos he may only have a few months of life lift.

SmackMasterT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It does have that. The only thing i dont understand is it dosent have tribal hooks, and i've had it since Feb and it's never molted in my care. It has none of the typical signs of maturing. Does this happen sometimes?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you keep the tank dry(no misting) and the temp is around20-25*C and the spider is wanderning around the tank, then that is a sign. i never had a male g.rosea(unless my 1" sling is male), but i dont think that the spurs are easy to see. maybe someone els hear can help.
forgot to ask how big is it?