OBT eggsac

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My OBT laid a sac this week. She attached it to the side of her hide and has really webbed it on there. What I'm wondering is how come this species doesn't have to knead and turn its sac like other species? Are there other species who do this too?

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David Burns said:
My OBT laid a sac this week. She attached it to the side of her hide and has really webbed it on there. What I'm wondering is how come this species doesn't have to knead and turn its sac like other species? Are there other species who do this too?
Heteroscodra maculata does this as well. I think it's a trait of the African (semi-) aboreals perhaps? Not sure...

Later,

Jake

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would an aboraeal egg sac need some humidity? more so then any other type.

is is about the semi aboreals that jake spoke off

Last edited:

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David Burns said:
Hi
Congrats on the sac, good luck, Pterinochilus is one of my favourite sp :)
It is common for all Ceratogyrus and Pterinochilus to construct a hammock style eggsac fixed to the enclosure or tank furnishings. if kept @ about 86F the eggs should develope into eggs with legs around 12 to 18 days, nymphs @ 19 to 22 days, spiderlings @ 30 to 35 days aprox.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil said:
Hi
Congrats on the sac, good luck, Pterinochilus is one of my favourite sp :)
It is common for all Ceratogyrus and Pterinochilus to construct a hammock style eggsac fixed to the enclosure or tank furnishings. if kept @ about 86F the eggs should develope into eggs with legs around 12 to 18 days, nymphs @ 19 to 22 days, spiderlings @ 30 to 35 days aprox.
Thanks for the advice. I know your not supposed to feed a T with an eggsac in its mouth. But should I feed this species? Is there a possibility she might eat the sac?

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David Burns said:
Thanks for the advice. I know your not supposed to feed a T with an eggsac in its mouth. But should I feed this species? Is there a possibility she might eat the sac?
I have bred P.murinus (both forms) many times, i have never fed the females whilst with a sac as the disturbance can result in the sac being eaten, I usually pull the sac @ around 20 days @ 86F, at that point they should be nymphs or eggs with legs ready to moult into nymphs, once the sac has been removed feed the female well for the following weeks and she may produce a 2nd eggsac some 6 to 10 weeks later, this is common with Ceratogyrus and Pterinochilus.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks again Phil. It sure is going to be exciting getting the sac out of there. I was keeping the temps at 80 F. but I'll up them a bit. Is humidity important? I keep her dry, but have a water dish in there since the mating. The room has an average humidity level around 65%.

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi
If she has a water dish and a room humidity level of 65% that is sufficiant, if the temp is lower than 86F just add a few days to my ave egg development stages in the above post

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil said:
Hi

It is common for all Ceratogyrus and Pterinochilus to construct a hammock style eggsac fixed to the enclosure or tank furnishings.
Yes Ceratogyrus does this too. I have found that this genus too, displays semi-aboreal behaviour. Maybe attaching the eggsac to the side of a tank/building a hammock is an African trait? It certainly appears this way.

Later,

Jake

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Yes Ceratogyrus does this too. I have found that this genus too, displays semi-aboreal behaviour. Maybe attaching the eggsac to the side of a tank/building a hammock is an African trait? It certainly appears this way.

Later,

Jake
I have found Ceratogyrus to be 100% terrestrial, although the eggsac is suspended, it's usually suspended within the burrow if deep substrate is provided, where as Pterinochilus murinus normal colour form i would describe as semi arboreal, and RCf very arboreal, also heterascodra will also suspend an eggsac, if i remember right, Hystercrates do not, they will produce a typical spherical eggsac.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil said:
I have found Ceratogyrus to be 100% terrestrial, although the eggsac is suspended, it's usually suspended within the burrow if deep substrate is provided, where as Pterinochilus murinus normal colour form i would describe as semi arboreal, and RCf very arboreal, also heterascodra will also suspend an eggsac, if i remember right, Hystercrates do not, they will produce a typical spherical eggsac.
I knew I forgot a genus - Hysterocrates! . About Ceratogyrus I have observed C. brachycephalus building a burrow, but also constructing webbing that would reach the top of the tank and even constructing multiple aboreal tunnels just like Pterinochilus murinus .

Later,

Jake

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi
C.brachycephalus is one Cerato i have little experience with, it's one sp i am trying to get a few of, but they seem to be somewhat rare at the moment, just can't locate any.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phil said:
Hi
C.brachycephalus is one Cerato i have little experience with, it's one sp i am trying to get a few of, but they seem to be somewhat rare at the moment, just can't locate any.
I used to have two females, then one died. I have attempted to breed this species, but the male was eaten immediately, despite both recognizing each other and having drummed like crazy! I was really hoping to get some babies of this species :(

Later,

Jake

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi
Damn shame :( hope someone breeds them soon.