Is there a Therapodiatrist in the house?

DE3

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I first described this ancient B smithi here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=23071

She's had a problem with her Tarsus for a few months now. I keep thinking that a molt will "take care of it" but at her age, it could be a while until she sheds. The poor old thing seems to be in some discomfort, because she always elevates that #1 leg. She's eating fine, but seems to be moving around slower than usual. She has a good hide -- but spends most of her time sitting on a flat rock she seems fond of. She used to be an "occasional digger" as a hobby -- but not with her sore Tarsus. She's not webbing either.... It could be her age, or my perception as her provider, but it seems to be getting a bit worse, instead of better. I'm concerned that it'll become gangrenous, and it could be over in a hurry...I'm even open to an amputation, if that is the prevailing advice.

I have a feeling that this isn't exactly a rare problem, and someone can set me straight. And what the heck is that stick/bone-looking thing protruding that is constantly visable, and doesnt seem to change?

She's been around a long time, but I'd hate to lose her over something that might be treatable. Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont know what it is. i think that an amputation will do the spider more harm then good.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as it is still feeding, I would leave it alone. As you said a molt will probably take care of it.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I was a noob still, I had my rosea in wood chips. I would watch her all the time especially during feedings. One time before watching her catch i cricket I saw her moving her spinnerets over the ground while a cricket was in front of her. She placed her first set of legs and "picked up" some of the web and jumped a the cricket.

She missed, and the web on her legs made her end up with two little planks of wood stuck to the end of each leg. I think it hurt her pride more than anything :p

She ended up pulling them off by rubbing her self against the substrate. I have since of course removed the horrible bedding and given her soil and peat moss. It's rare, but on ocassion the same thing happens to her with small strands of moss, but I doubt it causes any problems.

Im no expert on this, but It looks to me like it's just substrate getting caught for whatever reason, I wouldnt worry to much about it unless your T starts to behave very strangly.

Good luck, let us know.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bone "thing"...

No don't amputate! I agree too that she picked up something and it stuck.
Keep your eye on her and let us know.