Beautiful, Active Display Specimens?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi all,
Have been into inverts for about a year and now have both docile and aggressive species. I am looking into setting up some nice displays for the living room and was wondering if anyone can suggest some attractive species that would be active for viewing. It seems like many of the impressive species are hardly ever seen unless under cover of darkness. I recently aquired a Togo Starburst (Heteroscodra maculata) and she is beautiful but not very active.
Any suggestions would be great!
-Arachnomaniak-

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that A. geniculata fits the bill -- especially if you drop a dozen crickets in with it.

Just keep in mind that most spiders will be most active at night -- probably when you are sleeping.

Jon

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata would be at the top of my list if I bothered to make one.

Last edited:

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1. A Geniculata
2. G. Pulchra
3. G. Aureostriatum
4. L. Difficilis
5. B. Emelia
6. V. Platyomma
7. B. Smithi

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There really isn't very many Ts that are very active. (They are the ultimate couch potato). But some are definetly better display animals than others. I would say a pokie would have to be pretty good display spiders. The way you set up the enclosure would have much to do with being able to see them.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say

GBB
Haitian Brown
Brazilian Pink Salmon

This list is based on my experience with these species.

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well if you are looking for something active...DO NOT get a Chaco golden Knee....they are the king potatoe of all potatoes...I say if you dont already have one..get a smithi or emilia...(still not active...but what T is....)

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maybe get a T it wouldn't be particularly cruel to deprive of more than about 2" of bedding so it couldn't burrow off. :? the climby species seem pretty active, relatively speaking. :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Display T's

If your nocturnal you would witness most of your T's being active, otherwise I have found that increasing the temp causes them to exercise a little more.
Display? Lasiodora's, Greenbottle Blue, Acanthoscurria's. :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of all my Brachypelmas, Grammostolas, gbbs, Avics, etc. my P. metallicas are the obvious winners. They're brightly colored, stay out in plain view, and move around somewhat more but they are expensive, probably have a strong venom, and shoot poop at their walls like an Avic.

My Brachypelmas, Grammostolas and gbbs stay out in plain sight but they're not particularly active unless you have a mature male. There are some very weird stories about Brachypelma behavior so I suspect that they may be a little smarter than the average T and you might get lucky with an interesting individual. My Avics tend to stay in their webs although occasionally they will come out. I had an A. geniculata who was fun to feed but not as active. However, if you want an impressively large T who is attractively colored, not expensive (unless you count their food bills :) ), fast-growing, and usually out and about, they're definitely a good candidate. I have other genuses, like Lasiodora, but they're still slings and I can't give a first-hand account of their behavior.

It's hard to say what makes a good display T since that depends on your expectations. Plus, their behavior can vary from individual to individual.

Karen N.

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, didnt bother to read the whole thread. But the ultimate display animal is a 12" T Blondi!!!!

Nothing grabs attention like a foot long spider!!

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, didnt bother to read the whole thread.
You really should if you want to contribute to the conversation.

About a great display spider. I'll have to agree with Avics. They like to poo all over everything, but its cleanable. They are always out on the glass it seems, and often in plain site if they arent stuck in a bunker of webbing.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Nothing grabs attention like a foot long spider!!
Quite a few things can grab one's attention if there that size.

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
FryLock said:
If you're speaking from experience you must have one happy partner ;)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
~AnimalQueen~ said:
well if you are looking for something active...DO NOT get a Chaco golden Knee....they are the king potatoe of all potatoes
Mines not esp when you open the lid she wants on your hand right way ;P :p

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
metallica said:
12" wow i believe you, where can i get one? especially since the largest T is a 11" blondi according to the guinness book of records...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=51536
Whats funny is you would actually belive that if its not in the guiness book then it hasnt happend yet right? *laughs* Not to mention it was a genralized measurement. O) Check the web, there are mentions of T. Blondi reaching over 12". Are they all accurate? Who knows, but thats just my point. You dont know if they are *not* true, do you?

ShaunHolder said:
You really should if you want to contribute to the conversation.
Well looks like I did not read the entire thread, just the first few posts, and also looks like I have contributed to the conversation.

Go figure eh?

Oh and just for the record, it had not been mentioned yet.

Last edited:

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
FryLock said:

Yup, like a 12" toe, or a 12" finger... 12" apendiges tend to grab some attention. o)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Whats funny is you would actually belive that if its not in the guiness book then it hasnt happend yet right? *laughs* Not to mention it was a genralized measurement. O) Check the web, there are mentions of T. Blondi reaching over 12". Are they all accurate? Who knows, but thats just my point. You dont know if they are *not* true, do you?
prove me wrong, let those T's be measured! and no i don't mean a stretched molt........

surely someone with a mythical 12" blondi would keep him on alcohol after he dies........ and still this record was only equalled in 1998 and not even broken!

so there NO i don't believe a 12" Blondi exists, especially since those who claim to have a monster blondi usually have a female. and those can only break on record....... largest butt